[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How hard is it to become an artist at an animation studio, specifically

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

File: My_dream.jpg (576KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
My_dream.jpg
576KB, 1920x1280px
How hard is it to become an artist at an animation studio, specifically Dreamworks TV? It looks like they're creating a ton of new shows there.

What kind of training do you need, and to what level does your art need to be at? I want to know if it's a realistic objective to aim at work at Dreamworks. Is it like astronaut training where there are thousands of applicants with only a few being admitted, and even fewer going up into space?

>tl;dr
How hard is it to make it
>>
File: DreamWorks-Studio-1.jpg (1MB, 3000x1996px) Image search: [Google]
DreamWorks-Studio-1.jpg
1MB, 3000x1996px
>>
>>2890529
They only take H1B immigrants nowadays.
>>
>>2890529
Not as hard as you think it is.

People think it's impossible or nearly impossible to even become an artist. That's good, because that weeds out a ton of people from ever becoming artists. Now you just deal with the people who want to become artists which is a significantly small number in comparison to every other industry. Now of those artists who want to actually work for Dreamworks is even slimmer. Now this is a good thing and a bad thing, because it means you have to be really good or show potential. There's the internship program way to get in or you know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy. Basically it comes down to, you have to be able to do professional level work similar to that of what they're currently able to do. It's actually quite simple and applies to everything. If you can do the same level of work as the thing you want to work for, you probably can work for them.
>>
File: dreamworks-premo-5.jpg (133KB, 1000x550px) Image search: [Google]
dreamworks-premo-5.jpg
133KB, 1000x550px
>>2890529
From what I heard about at some expensive art college's open house that i went to

Basically everyone (atleast in the animation department) there is vying for a spot at one of these top animation houses. Even your instructors are applying sometimes. It would be comparable to your astronaut metaphor, very few seats means heavy competition

Working at a studio such as dreamworks means putting process above anything else, and its what they're looking for when scouting for new recruits. They had peoples portfolios shown and they had a few that went to dreamworks or pixar there. Theres a very discernable difference between those who wanted to make it into a studio, who then learned how fast to make a project and execute it, and those who went for trying to make the best looking, flashy animation.

It's a realistic objective, but don't fool yourself if you don't think you'd enjoy it.

Just take a look at all the animators at the end of the credits on any one of those films and multiply that by 10. That's what you're going to have to compete against.
>>
>>2890555
Thank you, that is a constructive, informative and encouraging reply.
>>
>>2890558
>Even your instructors are applying sometimes.

FFS
>>
>>2890544
This isn't the tech industry
>>
Hard enough. But possible. Room-mate works at Dreamworks. Before that he was at WB.

Storyboards are the easiest way in. Everybody needs storyboards.

Training is less relevant than determination and practice. Art training is better done a-la-carte. Degrees mean nothing.

This is all TV of course. Getting into feature is way harder.
>>
Kind of unrelated, but am I the only one that wants to make their own animation studio?
>>
Why do people even want to work for animation studios? Seems like a good way to get burned out on art forever, doing menial shit all day for projects you'll barely be able to influence.

Are everyone in on it because of that microscopic chance of rising to a level where you can get your own show or movie? I'd say you'll be better off starting your own studio if that is the case.
>>
>>2890800

Poorfag here

But it is still like, important to GET into a nice uni/college?
I've sent emails to various companies, even TV companies and all they say that "a degree is a requirement" for the job, even more for foreign people.

Which school did your room-mate go?
>>
>>2892116
"degree requirements" on arts job descriptions are usually just a way to skim out sub-par applicants/people who are quick to give up.

become good enough to compete against students.

>>2891931
it's slightly more common than you'd think, but usually things go bad when aspiring directors aren't very good with the business side of running a studio/team.
>>
File: 1489029227080.jpg (609KB, 1095x882px) Image search: [Google]
1489029227080.jpg
609KB, 1095x882px
>>2892211
>directors aren't very good with the business side of running a studio/team.

I'm going to study a minor related to business then start my own studio and hire all of you faggot autists that are actually good but struggle to make connections.

Thank me later but git gud in the meantime.
>>
>>2892889
Post your influences/visions so I can see if it's worth joining.
>>
>>2892889
let's hope so, anon.
>>
File: 3632363_orig.jpg (251KB, 1100x523px) Image search: [Google]
3632363_orig.jpg
251KB, 1100x523px
>>2892890
>influences/visions

First, I as a person have a personal interest in art sciences and philosophy. Those three things are what I think are the most fascinating things in the world. And I would like to project these subjects if possible to our studio. For the art part, I love the subject of nature and animals.

Influences examples come from big companies and small art teams/artists.

Examples :

Small:

Small artist's webcomic nature of nature's art, (sci-fi animal themed webcomics) very original webcomic by the way.

overgrowth indie game, made by the small wolfire team. Interesting mood and theme.

Redwall books and universe.

Big projects/ companies :

Secret of nimh movie by old disney artists

Heavy rain's musical environment/feels (won awards) by Normand Corbeil

Interstellar''s space visuals

Disney's zootopia concept art and artistic visual work (5 years of art-only work)
A typical project we would do would probably be a sci-fi animated 3d or 2d movie related with animals (could also be possibly furry) heavily focused on "breath-taking" visuals

Would you join?
>>
>>2892889
thanks
>>
>>2892961
anybody that can keep its guys fairly paid, desu.

i've always been fascinated by how Valve sets aside artists for their comics and promotional artwork.
>>
>>2892961
Hey man, practice speaking and penmanship, especially the elevator pitch.

>A typical project we would do would probably be

Be short! What about creating your own style of speaking? Examples of unique speakers are Sapolsky, Mark Blyth, Eric Thomas or Art Williams.

But above all, draw and study. I'll be drawing. Or I'll be your boss, man.
>>
>>2892987
All noted!
>>
File: 1489031105737.jpg (20KB, 500x474px) Image search: [Google]
1489031105737.jpg
20KB, 500x474px
>>2892987
>>2892961

I'm in if you two are in desu.
>>
>>2890529
Probably impossible if you don't live in america
>>
>>2892961
>Disney's zootopia concept art and artistic visual work (5 years of art-only work)
A typical project we would do would probably be a sci-fi animated 3d or 2d movie related with animals (could also be possibly furry) heavily focused on "breath-taking" visuals

You guys talk big about blazing your own path and making your own animation studio, yet then come around full circle hoping to do stuff for big name studios.
>>
>>2890529
Well, there are some places that teach you 2D animation, which, in my local area, are 3-year programs where the only way you'd pass is through lots of gruelling work. So I'm assuming that a degree from one of those places can land you a good job over there.

Or you could literally just send a porfolio with some good-looking animations, I dunno.
>>
>>2894560
School?
>>
>>2890529
My boy broke into animation as a designer without going to one of the well known animation colleges. Multiple film and tv credits.

He was laser focused on the role he wanted, didn't generalize his portfolio. More importantly he stopped being an outsider ASAP. This works for any niche of commercial art, stop looking at it from the outside and as soon as you're decent start doing the job and associating with insiders. When the time comes to hire sometimes ads that go out are just for appearances and they already have their hire in mind and that person is someone they know IRL. If your friends aren't industry people something is wrong, people on this board whine about how it's "who you know" the fuck you think networking is.

Especially if you're young start taking entry jobs or internships. This whole grind until you're so godlike is viable...but you will end up being older than everyone else, more skilled, but with less experience, so less pay, jr. position. If you're college age do not miss this opportunity, people see potential in younger talent, and will forgive them during their start.
>>
>>2895267
Let me add, when I say internship or entry level job I mean paid work, for a real company. DO NOT work for industry burnouts who run glorified outsourcing operations. Rev share Kickstarters. Web developers with dreams of making an MMO. Anyone who thinks a hundred dollars is a lot of money. Your time is better spent working on your portfolio in these cases.
>>
>>2892116

He went to an AI branch school that no longer exists and he dropped out because he hated it.

So.. no. It's not important.

It would be helpful to have a degree in *something* if you're outside the U.S., because it will help you get a work visa, but I'm going to let you in on a secret.

If an art related job tells you a degree is required...

They're lying.

They don't care about that nearly as much as they care about the quality of your portfolio and your work experience.
>>
>>2895267
>>2895272

actual good advice in an ic thread? what world am i living in
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.