[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else have manic/depressive art "phases"?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: C6Ucev5XQAA0z7F.jpg (46KB, 500x596px) Image search: [Google]
C6Ucev5XQAA0z7F.jpg
46KB, 500x596px
Does anyone else have manic/depressive art "phases"? I sometimes have months of amazing art progress and then I always seem to burnout and waste around playing video games all day. This goes on for months until the manic phase begins.

What gives? Is burnout even real or am I just lazy?
>>
>>2890337
I don't have manic episodes, but I do have my depression sometimes get worse for a few months and it kills all my productivity. It's tough to paint and be creative when you just lie in bed wanting to die.
>>
>>2890337
Every single week.
I go through massive depression and self loathing over the weekend and then I get a glimpse of energy at some random time.
I hear working out and eating right helps, so heres to that.
>>
see a therapist

happens for me too
>>
>>2890343
This only I don't get the burst of energy anymore so I just have to force myself to drudge through it. Sitting down and starting is the hardest part.
>>
>>2890436
For me starting up is easy. I do that pomodoro shit so I just start up a 25 minute timer and get going. Midway through when my drawings are garbage and I just want to quit is the hardest part. It's always just me telling myself that I'm halfway done might as well finish it. Or I've done one pomodoro I might as well do another etc. I think to get over this stuff it has a lot to do with habit building. You just gotta keep pushing to do more, and when you go through your depressive art phase, that's when it's the most important to keep pushing and really just force yourself to draw something. No one's born lazy, it's just a habit. One that you've probably built up for a long time, so you'll need to spend a lot of time getting rid of it.
>>
>>2890337
Are you me???
>>
>>2890337
YUP, IT'S BURNOUT
>>
It happens to everyone, I actually had YEARS I haven't been drawing at all wasting my time on video games, anime, or 4chan in particular. And then I get reminded I haven't been improving and bounce back to drawing mode.

The way to fix it is to build a habit of practice. Set a time and work on it everyday. Like
>"I'm going to do X on 10AM. Every day, for an hour"
Once you get started it's much easier to continue.
>>
Has anyone else not seen a naked women in real life other than models posing for life drawing?
>>
>>2890337

Yes, but I biohack myself during the ''flat'' periods of my manic depression so I continue being productive anyway. Aniracetam + Modafinil work like magic for me, it's great.
>>
>>2890337
Its called being a lazy fuck, now get off this board and go draw.
>>
If you think it might be a sign of actual manic/depressive behaviour, see a therapist, in all seriousness.

It's likely just burnout, though. Anything you do obsessively or constantly for a while will burn you out on it. I've been taking it easy on the art practice myself, lately, but once I'm less tired in general I'll likely pick up again. It's just how people work.
>>
>>2890993
How would a therapist help with this? Brainwash you? Give you drugs that brainwash you? Change you back to "normal"?
>>
>>2890337
go for a long walk in nature. seriously. it changes your brain in those phases.
>>
>>2890993
it's possible i suppose but i don't match many of the internet diagnosis symptoms. it only seems to affect my art
>>
>>2890337
>>2890340
>>2890343
No. It's not real. You're just degenerate. Uninstall all your games right now. give your game consoles to your sibling/cousin/really close friend and never buy a new one ever again and draw you lazy cunt. You need to create a creative environment for yourself. For anything else that might distract you that you can't get rid of, put it in a box for storage.

If you're still not feeling it, go lift, nap, and then draw. Once you have several months worth of draw go treat yourself to a small trip or vacation.
>>
>>2890993
>It's likely just burnout, though.
desu, Anon. If you burn out this easily find another hobby (I hope it's a fucking hobby, OP. If you think you can do this professionally with that attitude. Good fucking luck). If you're passionate and really love what you're doing you don't "burn out" Over the short years I've been gittin gud I've known several people who had this and they've all quit by now. The only people I talk to are the non-shitters from /ic/ that I met years ago that still draw every day even when they're having a bad time. Art is what they do for fun, and when they need some sort of escapism from real life if they ever do feel down. If you can't find a way to bring the fun back maybe you started for the wrong reasons.
>>
>>2891017
I don't even play games mate. I just sit here thinking about how terrible life has been and how it'll always be terrible.
>>
>>2891024
I don't know what to tell you, anon. I used to be shit once too and a very sad fucker about it. I didn't have a perfect lot in life either. But I absolutely believed 100% that I could make it. I never questioned whether I could or not. I just knew I could and took every step necessary to get to where I am now. Downloaded about 400gb of shit off cgpeers and watched/read/listened to all of it while working on fundamentals to start off. Then did a lot of personal work while going to google hangouts with other artists who could give me feedback. Most of it at first was. "This is shit. You need to go harder into light, faggot." And sucked it up and did that too. It's one of my strong points now. I made better friends and I'm not alone anymore through art and earned the respect back from my parents too now that they know I don't fuck around when I say I'm going to get better at something.

Just do what you want and don't look back, Anon. It'll be worth it if you really put your all into it and know to work smart, not hard.
>>
>>2891017
>go lift,
ew.
>>
>>2891023
>I hope it's a fucking hobby, OP. If you think you can do this professionally with that attitude. Good fucking luck
it's my main job unfortunately. i could be making 3x as much as I do if I stopped this
>>
>>2891033
How did you find those art friends, anon?
And how did you grind your fundies? Where did you start basically, what did you work most on?
>>
>>2891043
I can be your friend, anon.
>>
>>2890343
>I hear working out and eating right helps, so heres to that.
It is VERY important.
>>
>>2891041
never gunna make it.
>>2891047
This. You need to take care of yourself now.

>>2891043
Off /ic/ a few years back. The ones that have stuck through with me all these years.
>>2891046
Go add him/google hangout and be his study buddy.

As for what I tackled first. Vilppu and Scott Robertson videos on cgpeers. Before he made his books. I also watched a lot of other gnomon videos and followed along with drawing as I watched. Someone else gave me Alla Prima and Charles Bargue afterwards. Really helpful stuff. Especially Bargue. IT really teaches you how to have some kind of workflow and to learn how to learn ad observe while teaching basic proportion and how to think in 3-D.
>>
>>2891051
willing to bet all the fitness stuff your doing is just a placebo/distraction from your failures
>>
>>2891017
"""lifting"""
>RELEVANT IN TODAYS SOCIETY BESIDES PICKING UP CHICKS
nigga i can draw my own waifu, who needs to get /fit/ wtf
>>
My problem is I think I may be talented, but my art is not 'great'. I've been drawing my whole life is what I tell people who ask when looking at my work. I've sold almost everything I've finished. However, I fail to tell them while I've drawn my whole life, I've only drawn 40-50 pictures (sketches and finished work) in the past 8 years. I never really practiced. Even as a kid I didn't practice too often.

I'm starting to think I may be letting something go to waste and maybe should draw more then 10 things a year or so.
>>
>>2891072
post art, let /ic/ be your judge
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.