[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

the paint over i did still looks cartoony when i tried to make

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: study test-2017-03-07.jpg (339KB, 1200x716px) Image search: [Google]
study test-2017-03-07.jpg
339KB, 1200x716px
the paint over i did still looks cartoony when i tried to make it realistic, whats the difference between realism and cartoony besides the over saturation and crazy shape design.....is it shading? or occlusion shadows ?
>>
Good question.
>>
>>2888785
just noticed tarzan's dad is just an identical copy-paste of his face but with short hair and a beard. those lazy disney cunts.

>but it still looks cartoony
add some tear ducts maybe. and that nose is all wrong.
>>
File: liam-mcpoylejpg.jpg (27KB, 492x768px) Image search: [Google]
liam-mcpoylejpg.jpg
27KB, 492x768px
>>2888785
your paintover looks like this gentleman
>>
>>2888815
holy shit i just realized that now too
>>
>>2888815
>animating Tarzan with a beard = lazy

Also your advice is shit and only supports the fact that you have no idea what your talking about
>>
File: 472.jpg (413KB, 1124x716px) Image search: [Google]
472.jpg
413KB, 1124x716px
>>2888785
It's a bit of everything to be honest, but the biggest thing I think has to do with shapes. You can render it perfectly realistically and still have it feel cartoony if the shapes are cartoony--just look at any new 3d animated film.

To get it to look realistic you need more naturalistic shapes, so they can still be design but need to be less exaggerated. Adding in more soft edges and textures will help a lot too.

I did a quick paintover of your image trying my hand at it. I think actually I (and you) should have been using some reference so that we could get more specific and realistic shapes on things like the features. Getting certain small details would really help with realism, like the way an eyelid is actually shaped, or the edges on an eyebrow.

Anyways, I mostly just noodled on top of yours for fun and tried to see what changes gave what impression. I felt a bit like it was sacrilegious to destroy such amazing shape design in the original though. The original is so nice, it feels like a shame to do this to it.
>>
>>2888851
ahhh thanks for the paintover, yours looks much more realistic in thumb already, thanks for the info too mate.
>>
>>2888856
Glad it helps. The thumbnail looks more realistic mostly from the values actually. I changed the lighting from a hard spotlight on him to having just the ambient sky light him then have the sunset bring in warmth from behind. So naturally he is going to be a lot darker in value overall since he's backlit and doesn't have some artificial source lighting him up.
>>
>>2888785
Why did you completely remove his expression. That makes it look less beievable if anything
>>
>>2888851
fucking generic
>>
>>2889502
fucking edgy!
>>
>>2889502
what would you change to make it less generic?
>>
>>2888851
You're cool anon, just thought I'd let you know. Godspeed.
>>
File: 1488937622922.jpg (523KB, 1200x716px) Image search: [Google]
1488937622922.jpg
523KB, 1200x716px
>>2889502
>>2889519
Not him, but maybe a more cartoon-like style? I tried my best.
>>
>>2889568
Kekked
>>
>>2889568
you just traced a tarzan face and drew a beard and shorten his hair, wtf anon?
>>
Lighting, shapes, details. I personally went from realistic rendering to cartoony rendering, and I learned I always had to tone it down a notch with every single picture, no matter how much I already simplified it, it was never enough, until I realized I needed basic shapes and nothing else. Basically if you're doing a paintover, you're missing a lot of information if you're trying to go into realism and you're failing to add that information with your paintover.

You should open a photo of a portrait of a bearded man and lay it next to the screenshot and study all the details that are missing. Figure out how to implement the photo study into the screenshot. I think that will make you realize best.
>>
>>2889611
Also, like the other anon did, change the light source. Cartoons have really basic lighting, and everything will look fake in bad lighting.
>>
File: 14889398582256.jpg (550KB, 1124x716px) Image search: [Google]
14889398582256.jpg
550KB, 1124x716px
>>2888851
>>
>>2890798
10 years too old and the character got lost along the way, mostly due to a completely different chin and nose.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.