[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I challenge you to name a trickier and more finicky medium than

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: img_9612.jpg (948KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
img_9612.jpg
948KB, 1920x1280px
I challenge you to name a trickier and more finicky medium than water-based dyes.

>Pro-tip: You can't
>>
digital
>>
>>2885873

Digital is the exact opposite of tricky and finicky. The artist has 100% control.
>>
>>2885873
Are you high, you fuck?
>>
HB pencil

hard mode - no erasing
>>
>>2885929

Not tricky or finicky at all.
>>
Watercolor, brush pens, markers
>>
>>2885929
How is that hard mode?
>>
>>2885935
>Watercolor

These are watercolors, and the most finicky ones you can buy.

>brush pens

Difficult to master but not finicky.

>markers

Come on now, markers are watercolors in easy mode.
>>
>>2885940
>markers are watercolors in easy mode.
Dude, I've used both, markers are definitely finicky af.
They bleed straight through regular paper and you can't mix colors, so you need to buy a ton of colors.
>>
>>2885950
>They bleed straight through regular paper and you can't mix colors, so you need to buy a ton of colors.

That's not finicky, that's just expensive and requiring certain paper.

These Dr Martins inks will misbehave if you just look at them funny.
>>
File: IMG_4012.png (31KB, 187x210px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4012.png
31KB, 187x210px
>>2885871
Do a big illustration with this m8, also try doing curves.
>>
>>2886100

Is that a fountain pen?
>>
>>2886100
M8 what, you can't fucking do curves with that thing.
>>
>>2886102
Yeah, it's just cropped out.
>>
Airbrush
>>
Ceramics. You can't take anything back, and almost every step is possibly breaking your work. Too much water, air bubbles, Also glaze does not always work the way you want.
>>
>>2885871
Linoleum Printing.
>>
>>2885871
I used the Radiants for the first time on a piece for a client a couple weeks back. I had to mentally prepare as it was a fairly complex piece, so NO MISTAKES.

But those colors though....

Everything turned out better than expected. They are definitely fucking finicky but for what I use them for, the bleeds and blots elevated the piece.
>>
>>2885871

Food colorant dyed semen. Beat that, bitch, literally.
>>
>>2885871
Paint on water

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4dKy7HNU4vk
>>
>>2885871
100 percent archival oil painting
>>
>>2886523
that looks fun as fuck though
>>
>>2885880
thats why its so hard
>>
>>2887093

That's not tricky or finicky though.
>>
>>2886155
Porcelain.

>>2885871
Hey, so seems like everyone thinks the more fluid media are more difficult. The way I see it, that somewhat unpredictable fluid no-take-backs quality is what gives them their charm. It's usually a clash of iron will over their inherent natures that causes so much frustration. After you play for a while you begin to notice what the media like to do without your intervention. You set up parameters or boundaries in which they do neat stuff. You're more like a director than an actor. You set up the dominoes and God knocks 'em down.
>>
>>2885871
black color pencil and pink rubber eraser
>>
File: hydrussett.jpg (199KB, 1080x810px) Image search: [Google]
hydrussett.jpg
199KB, 1080x810px
>>2885871
>>2885940
I use the Doc PH Martins Hydrus line and they are indeed tricky. Color mixing is really hard, and they dry out in a weird way.

Harder still is Liquitex acrylic INK! its somewhere between acrylic and watercolor. But color mixing is easier.
>>
>>2887148

Hydrus can be tough but it's easier to work with than the Dr Martin dyes.

The Hydrus are just regular watercolor pigments suspended in water. The dyes are much more volatile. Sometimes they form smooth and soft edges, other times they bleed out and form hard edges. Sometimes they can be layered, other times they react against it. Sometimes you can rework them, other times it leaves huge splotches. And if you butt two colors up against each other they often bleed into each other.

The Hydrus can do all of these things as well but they're permanent and (mostly) don't stain so you can correct and add to them. With the dyes you get one shot and if you screw it up there's no going back.
>>
>>2886155
yup. I dropped a fucking plastic bag on a cup today and the texture was ruined. I just had to go with it and alter the cup to look more organic.

glazes are the devil sometimes. you spend days on a piece and then the glaze ends up destroying it. or it can make a shitty throwaway piece look beautiful. underglazes are way easier to deal with.
>>
Cum and black canvas. Go figure why
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.