[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"Art" Institute >all the courses are 3D modeling

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: The_Art_Institute.gif (2KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
The_Art_Institute.gif
2KB, 200x200px
>"Art" Institute
>all the courses are 3D modeling related
>no dedicated traditional and digital 2D art diploma
>$40,000 for a fucking degree in "game design"
>computers are All In One toasters that take 10 minutes to load up Maya
What a fucking joke.
>>
>>2878648
I remember a few years ago some anon with buyers remorse posted images of graduating student work. It looked like for-beginners 15 minute Youtube tutorial stuff.

Loads of kids are dying to make vidya or art for a living. Few regular schools can afford RELIABLE instructors and programs. A flimsy for-profit school can make a killing under those circumstances.
>>
>>2878648
Are you going to ignore the part where they let in pretty much anyone unlike other schools? They don't even care as long as you pay.
>>
>>2878648
It's a scam
>>
>>2878648
2015 set a record for most student loan debts.

STOP GOING TO SCHOOL FOR ART. Save your money for better education god damnit
>>
no shit. ai is a for profit school, of course it's going to be awful.
>>
>Went to an open house
>I'll say like %30 they talk about the school
>The rest is how you going to pay for the tuition.
I regret putting in my information. They won't stop calling/email.
>>
>>2878648
Fell for a similar style of school. Forced to buy overpriced macbook despite already owning a better PC. No OS specific software. Even the (good) professors would say in private "this place is garbage, but I need a paycheck".
>>
>>2878648
Holy shit. I just went to an open house last month in Vancouver and had this exact experience.
It sealed my option of never going.
>>
File: idk lol.gif (429KB, 206x196px) Image search: [Google]
idk lol.gif
429KB, 206x196px
>>2879255
Most colleges are for profit. When will this stupid meme die?
>>
My dog went to AI and he does is lay in his dog bed urging the Internet for jobs
>>
>>2879461
the problem isn't they're looking for profits, you commie retard
>>
>>2879461
>Most colleges are for profit
And most colleges have expensive worthless art-programs where students (or their parents, or their scholarship fund) pay out the ass and end up graduating unable to draw themselves out of a paper bag.
>>
>>2879742
If you were actually an artist who even went to a school, you would know that the program has nothing to do with how bad a student will be. It's up to the student to study and draw. The school only provides incentives and provides knowledge. If they still suck after all of that. School didn't do anything wrong.
>>
File: le phone number man.jpg (88KB, 500x498px) Image search: [Google]
le phone number man.jpg
88KB, 500x498px
>>2879734
That was my point, Dumbo. Whether a school is for profit or not says nothing about the quality of its instruction, considering most well-known art schools are. There's this stupid ass meme going around that "for profit" schools are inherently bad and AI has become one of the flagship examples.

I'm going to a non-profit atelier myself and it's still $8,000 a year for a full time student (of which I am not). Anything much more expensive than what they need to keep the lights on should be considered for-profit, government "accreditation" (which is really what the "for profit" meme argument is about, pressuring more schools into becoming accredited) is irrelevant considering the student/victim is paying out the dick one way or the other.

That all said, you shouldn't go to art school at all whether it's good or bad because it's a fucking ripoff.

>>2879742
Yes
>>
>>2879780
Then what should you do? Just draw from life and draw what you like? That's too easy!
>>
File: Got my BFA did, fam!.jpg (374KB, 703x1227px) Image search: [Google]
Got my BFA did, fam!.jpg
374KB, 703x1227px
>>2879747
>DA ART SCHOOLS IS GOOD BOYS
>THEY DIDN'T EVEN BE DOIN' NUFFIN', DAWG

As tumblr would say, this is "Victim Blaming".

It's not the student who tithes the school for tens of thousands of dollars over the decades following their graduation.

The schools have one important job apart from teaching art (which many of them fail miserably at already) and that's to keep delusional not-going-to-make-its from attending in the first place for their own good, and believe me they see enough students come and go first hand to where they can tell if they've got even a snowball's chance in hell of making it or not.

Conversely, the student itself, their friends and parents are by default completely ignorant of what the work of a good art school prospect looks like so they certainly can't be blamed for encouraging the student to attend an art school thinking they'll get somewhere.
>>
>>2879470
Wish mine would do at least that, he's just a straight up neet.
>>
>>2878648
They have a Bachelors of Fine Arts in Illustration you retard.
>>
Former Art Institute student here. Graduated 2007.

Some of the classes I took were just ridiculous. The teacher for my first 3D Studio Max class taught his lessons from the tutorials that came with the program. I think it was the second or third week of class he wanted everyone to make a head out of simple shapes. I couldn't remember how to make concave sections for the eyes so my head had bugged out eyes. When I told him I was having difficulty and I didn't understand he told me "Well you better learn cause if you don't you're gonna fail and end up flipping burgers for the rest of your life."

Also had a Photoshop teacher that also based her curriculum on the tutorials that came with the textbook. The few assignments we did in class were making photo collages with various filters.

While I do kinda regret some of my decisions I made there (went in for Animation, think I probably would've been better off switching to Graphic Design), I still feel like I gained some good experience at the very least.
>>
>>2878648

If I had 40k I would just go to Singapore with 1 year's worth of Modafinil and grind FZD'S like a fucking Chinaman.
>>
>>2879816

Jesus christ, what a fucking joke.
>>
>>2881443
What do you do now? It's been 10 years.
>>
>>2881461
Pretty sure anon is flipping burgers.
>>
I really do think about what's up with some of these places, it seems there are more art colleges than necessary and unless you're going to one of the fucking top ones like Calarts or Pratt or something it doesn't seem worth it at all, and even if you go to one of those it's still probably a huge fucking gamble.

And all of those super tiny no-names offering super stylized degrees, fucking Full Sail or whatever? Would anyone fucking have a good experience from that?
>>
>>2881491
>more than necessary
>people complain about not being able to have an art education
Demand leads to supply is all
Look at all the faggot self taught artists here
>>
>>2881494
But is the "demand" really anything more than wayward imbeciles who shell out ridiculous amounts of dosh to get nothing more than the ability to say they went somewhere?
>>
File: colored Tobias.jpg (214KB, 1000x854px) Image search: [Google]
colored Tobias.jpg
214KB, 1000x854px
>>2881461
>>2881470

Unfortunately, working retail. After graduation moved to Georgia with a friend. They promised me it'd be a great opportunity for my art career because there were lots of studios like Cartoon Network and Turner Broadcasting and lots of independent studios to apply to there.

Lived there for almost three years but couldn't find anything like my friend had promised. Turned out the places to get jobs were mostly in Atlanta and we lived in Stone Mountain. Only jobs I could get were retail and fast food. At one point some of the people I'd made friends with there wanted to start up their own game and asked me to help with the artwork but nothing ever came of it. I did some preliminary sketches (pic related is one of the characters I designed) for them but they all got either bored or realized how much work it'd be and quit. Only successful thing I did was design a logo for a Christian day camp one of my coworkers worked at.

I just kept getting further and further into debt as everything I was making was only just barely covering rent. Luckily my parents were kind enough to let me come back home. Been working retail jobs ever since. Looking back on it all, I realize all I ever wanted to do was just draw and make stories. I didn't even really want to make a career out of it, I just wanted to share my stuff and have fun. It sucks that all I have now is student loan debt and a useless degree but I met a lot of cool people, learned some stuff and I have some good experiences to look back on.
>>
>>2879461
bullshit
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_for-profit_universities_and_colleges
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For-profit_higher_education_in_the_United_States#List_of_for-profit_corporations_and_their_brands
>>
>>2881525
So you never did learn and understand? Who knew he would be right? Was your teacher perhaps an oracle?
>>
I went to the Charlotte AI at a open house, it was horrible. Loud rap music playing through out the entire building, the only art they had on a wall upstairs sucked, looked like something you would see on the Deviantarts "Newest" page.
>>
>>2881918
That explains nothing except that you are probably a shitty person. Describe these artworks.
>>
>>2881919
One was a furry OC, drawn with either pencil or ink (cant remember) and colored with water color. OC was in middle of printer quality paper, took up only about 40 percent of the picture, rest was just white space, If I remember correctly, it was a fox. cant remember the others accurately, other than they were about the same quality as the piece described above. When I went to an open house of SCAD, there was outstanding art everywhere you looked, they basically had influenced the entire section of savanna they were in, scad everywhere. It was just such a large range in quality between the two schools, thats what im trying to get to.
>>
>>2881836
Well he was at least right about 3D. Never did get a grasp on that. But I did learn some other stuff. Like I said, I look back on the whole thing as good life experience.
>>
>>2878648
Art Institute has been confirmed to be a scam school for years.

I thought they were recovering from a bunch of lawsuits, while are people still attending that place?
>>
>>2879238
>>2879243
I'm studying game art/animation in a small European country and it's exactly the same. Right now people are looking for internships and their portfolio are absolutely cringeworthy. You can count the people good enough to get a job in this field on one hand.
>>
File: averageconsumerjustlikeyou.png (34KB, 283x293px) Image search: [Google]
averageconsumerjustlikeyou.png
34KB, 283x293px
>>2879250
But anon, don't you WANT to accrue six-figure debt with compounding interest? The loans may take a couple decades to pay off but you simply cannot put a price on your education.
>>
>>2879780
>that fucking filename
>doesn't know Andy Daly

Also you say art school is a ripoff yet you're going to an atelier... so which is it buddy school or no school?
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.