[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How good is to copy other artists works? Not necesarelly tracing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: don-ramon.jpg (26KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
don-ramon.jpg
26KB, 640x480px
How good is to copy other artists works?

Not necesarelly tracing but trying to make a 1:1 copy.
>>
>>2878599
Pretty good
>>
>>2878599
dont copy, analyze
>>
>>2878608

Do both.
>>
>>2878608
what the fuck
>>
>>2878599
It's always good to art.
But don't pretend that it's your piece or try to sell it.
>>
oldfag here. do you remember the places so called "museum". good.

there's always people sitting here, copying and analyzing masterpieces. well, they're gonna make it.
>>
>>2878599
Is it copy if I see someone draw a woman sucking a ice cream with stars on it, and I decide to draw a girl in a different position/lightning/clothes/totally physically different sucking ice cream with stars on it? Is it inspiration or copy?
>>
>>2878844
inspirqation
>>
>>2878608
this tbqh.
What do you mean by copying a model, measuring all the angles and distances? Is that what the model is, a bunch of lines and proportions, or is it a gesture, a story, a round form existing in space that you can twist, squash and play around with?
If your drawing looks like a photo, you didn't do a very good job at capturing the essence of it.
>>
>>2878599
>>2878608
>>2878872

You have to be able to make decent copies before you can properly analyze works of great artists. It will take all of your brainpower first and it will look wonky, but soon it's second nature and you can use your brain for the more important tasks.
Don't get stuck in that phase though, master it and move past it, but also don't listen to the purists saying it's a 'sin'. They are confusing practice with artwork, for them everything is artwork because they never practice. Take a look at the beginner threads and beginner books. It's all about being able to copy what you see first, because that's your first baby step. Don't skip it, but also don't delude yourself that you are a great artist once you complete it.
>>
>>2879062
What's the phase after?
>>
File: small_336582.jpg (385KB, 1280x848px) Image search: [Google]
small_336582.jpg
385KB, 1280x848px
>>2879068
Core fundamentals, like beginner friendly perspective and basic construction (like Loomis). You can also learn those alongside making 'mindless' copies. Once you learn construction, mannequinization and basic artist anatomy you can do very basic analaysis of other figure drawings. Take the Reilly head for example. Once you understand the concept, you can start analyzing heads with it, giving it more form, indicating more than you can see or just understanding subtle plane changes. To learn this, it should be second nature for you to copy shapes and lines so you can focus on the harder parts in art.
Keep in mind that you shouldn't only copy artworks, but also photos with clear and contrasty lighting and draw what you see from life. Make very simple still lifes and do careful measuring (Keys to Drawing by Dodson e.xplains this well).
>>
File: sh_MS_1.jpg (20KB, 372x662px) Image search: [Google]
sh_MS_1.jpg
20KB, 372x662px
>>2879091
yaaaaay!
>>
File: choob_is_a_fraud.jpg (566KB, 927x1311px) Image search: [Google]
choob_is_a_fraud.jpg
566KB, 927x1311px
This guy named Choob who participates in Last Artist Standing traced this drawing and tried to pass it off as his own. When he got busted he quickly edited the post to credit the artist.
>>
>>2878599
My niqqa Don Ramon.
>>
>>2879195
Who did he trace?
>>
>>2879228
Some unknown kid on Pixiv who desnt speak a word of english. I tried explaining it to him.
>>
>>2879261
>Some unknown kid on Pixiv

Yea but what's his name?
>>
>>2879297
unknown
>>
>>2879195
>>2879261
>>2879485
choobposter pls
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.