[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Right brain v left brain The myth: 91% of teachers believe

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

"Right brain v left brain
The myth: 91% of teachers believe that difference between the left hemisphere and right hemisphere explains individual differences among learners. This typically translates into people thinking you are left-brained if you are rational and objective or right-brained if you are intuitive and creative.
The origins: In the 1960s, research on patients with epilepsy found that when the connection between the right and left hemispheres were broken, the two sides acted individually and processed things differently. This led to the belief that the two hemispheres of our brain worked independently. This spoke to the desire for us to categorise people and behaviours. It made the complex simple; the confusing clear.
Where next for the right-brain/left-brain myth?
Researchers have found that neither hemisphere is solely responsible for one type of personality. It is a particularly damaging myth as it can lead to students not trying in certain subjects as they believe they don’t have the brain for it."

Why is this book being recommended then?
>>
>>2875578
Because this place is full of clueless noobs repeating retarded memes. Still one of the best art boards on the interwebs though.
>>
>>2875578

It's a good book that hammers concepts to complete beginners. And even then nearly everyone makes it a point to tell beginners to ignore the pseudoscience and just focus on the art shit.
>>
>>2875578
You are confusing a conceptual model with scientific explanation. The "R-Mode" and "L-Mode" ideas are conceptual models, not attempts at trying to pinpoint exactly what parts of the brain do what. That is frankly irrelevant.

What is relevant is that "R-Mode" is how you're meant to be drawing. It is the kind of thinking that produces accurate reproductions. "L-Mode" is more analogous to your day-to-day logical thinking, but doesn't produce good work, it produces symbol drawing.

It is recommended because it works. The exercises in it work, the premise of the book earned the author a doctorate, and in general there is a great deal of empirical evidence that what produces good drawing is different than the kind of thinking you have day-to-day.

I admit that the book is very long winded at times and seems too hung up on explaining things with physiology, but I also think that without these explanations some of the exercises would seem nonsensical and hard for people to justify risking wasting their time on. People need to be convinced there is a method to the madness for it to work.

Some people would recommend skipping it and doing Keys to Drawing Instead. I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with that but I'd personally recommend keeping with DoTRSotB at least until it turns into a portrait drawing book, because by that time the core techniques it has to teach, and why they work, have been taught. Especially for complete 0-experience beginners

Some people really seem to want to bury this book because "le-psuedo science" (again, this is a problem of reading comprehension. It's a book that presents a conceptual model, not a book on neuroscience) but it's helped a lot of people drawing, myself included, and I think it's worth any beginner's consideration.
>>
File: image.jpg (40KB, 354x199px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 354x199px
I've leafed through this book, but never read it in its entirety. Can anyone say whether it contains worthwhile exercises founded upon these principles (left)
>>
>>2875606
Yes and they work, but only if you believe. It's literally brain magic. If you don't believe, the connections are never made and the chemicals aren't released to unlock your potential. It's controlling the brain to do what you want it to do.
>>
>>2875578
It teaches to draw what you see. The retarded left/right brain pseudo science should always be skipped.
Keys to Drawing is superior for teaching the same stuff without the stupid pseudo science drivel.
>>
>>2875578
Because the exercises and metaphors are good even though the science is a bunch of stupid bullshit
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.