[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>draw from the shoulder, use clean lines, avoid chicken scratches!

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: Feng-Zhu.jpg (49KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
Feng-Zhu.jpg
49KB, 300x225px
>most professional artists do none of those things
>learn by studying the fundamentals!
>most professional artists start off by copying other artists they like
>artists who don't end up with strong fundamentals but zero imagination or style of their own like proko or sycra
what was meant by this?
>>
>>2873443
And today OP, you learn the golden rule:
>Do as they say, not as they do
>>
>>2873443
the blind leading the blind
>>
>>2873443
Did Feng say these things? Why are you confused?

>draw from shoulder advice
This is taken out of context usually. It's recommended when in life drawing classes working on large newsprint pads. It's meant to get you to loosen up and treat the drawing as a whole with longer rhythms. Obviously you don't draw from the shoulder when working in a pocket sized moleskine.

>use clean lines, avoid chicken scratch
Most pros do this. You can almost always tell the skill level of an artist by their line quality alone.

>most pros start by copying other artists
Most artists start this way.
>>
>>2873443
meme. only if you're a big guy with a big canvas 4u

>learn by studying the fundamentals!
truth be told. clean fundamentals will let you draw almost anything intuitively but don't forget the details

>most professional artists start off by copying other artists they like
cherry-picking best in everything because art is a product unless you intend it not to be / just want exposure and 'express muh feelings' (like those retarded junk gallery)

>artists who don't end up with strong fundamentals but zero imagination or style of their own like proko or sycra
creative imagination > creative composition.
it's like being good in calligraphy yet being unable to write a single literary work. you can fix this if you find a good concept artist/designer but they're quite picky to whom they share their works
>>
* >>2873585
>use clean lines, avoid chicken scratches
clean lines are okay but sharp edges are better
>>
>>2873443
>I tried to gid gut, but I still suck
>It's not me who's the problem, the conventional advice is just bad!

Yes OP, keep doing your chicken scratch lines and never learn the fundamentals, you sure will go places. After all, the only failed artists are the ones like Proko and Sycra. It's not like there are literally thousands upon thousands of cringe tier Deviantartists and Tumblrinas who had your exact mindset.
>>
>>2873608
I like to think there aren't millions of artists out there who are bad...
>>
>>draw from the shoulder, use clean lines, avoid chicken scratches!
Yeah, and he's totally right about that.
>>
Sycra drawing a kangaroo from imagination when?
>>
>>2873631
Sycra is actually good unlike Proko

>tfw Sycra was autocorrected to Sucks
>>
When I read threads like these I always wonder if OP has ever actually studied(which is different from drawing for an hour or three from reference and saying you learned something even though you didn't). I also wonder in general what the fuck people think imagination or style is because it gets trumped up a fuck ton. The cynic in me would think the average artist is a fucktarded hobbyist with beginner tier knowledge you can find in any basic textbook that thinks they understand more than they actually do.
>>
Anyone know how to record/download the schoolism videos? I am pretty inept with technology but I plan to put the stuff I managed to subscribe to on CGpeers
>>
>>2873634
>which is different from drawing for an hour or three from reference and saying you learned something even though you didn't
What's the difference?
>>
>>2873639

You can use any screen-recordering software. CamStudio is free. Really looking forwards to seeing Schoolism content in CGPeers, I don't think there's any right now.

What course/s will you be doing?
>>
>>2873633
>Sycra is actually good
Sycra is barely mediocre, and if you take into account how long he's been drawing hes pretty awful
>>
>>2873645
Dice Tsutsumi and Robert Kondo. I don't really want to use shit like Cam Studio because you have to make sure the software is stuck staring at the webpage and that will be a solid 9 hours of recording.
>>
>>2873646
Your mediocre bar is quite high.

Sycra knows his stuff, the only thing he sucks at is style. And it's probably because he has tried to come up with one just for the sake of having one for so long. Whereas most people just try to swing in the direction of styles they like.

Imagine if Sycra was reading your comment, it would break my heart. He's so adorable, shy and socially retarded, how can you diss him like that? Why is he awful?
>>
>>2873654
nah he is really fucking mediocre, i see artists with 3/4 years experience who fucking destroy him in pretty much everything, especially values/edges and line quality
>>
>>2873443
I actually watched one of the first Feng tutorials yesterday from 2011 where he said to draw from the elbow, not the shoulder or wrist.
>>
File: 837.png (197KB, 2500x1645px) Image search: [Google]
837.png
197KB, 2500x1645px
>>2873633
>>
>>2873585
>creative imagination > creative composition

Nicely said
>>
>>2873770
Is elbow drawing prefrable?
>>
>Draw from your imagination

This is overrated. If you can't, for instance, picture something you've never legitimately drawn or even approached in real life or in any sort of media, then of fucking course you're going to need a reference for whatever the fuck you're drawing. Poses are arguable, depending on how good your grasp on human/animal/skeletal anatomy is.

If you've got something you want to draw, but can't exactly picture the 'whole' thing, first draw a very rough sketch/thumbnail, then start from there and fill the void with whatever necessary detail(s) and references you may or may not need. Do NOT rely merely on mind alone, unless you're absolutely sure and capable of doing such with your current skills. Even at our absolute best, we will make mistakes and that's okay, because not everything we draw is perfect by any means.
>>
>>2873837
in 9/10 of fengs tutorials he just makes shit up. Are you saying hes a bad artist
>>
>>2873443
what it means is you've been lied to by this place. Sometimes you can get decent advice here but never about the actual process.

>>2873837
You think it's overrated because you can't do it. Classic /ic/. Fucking pathetic.
>>
>>2873645
you're spending wage time to record $15 course holy shit you must be stupid

oh right...this is /ic/
>>
>>2873585
>meme

Enjoy your tendonitis.
>>
File: roo_sycrafied_by_sycra-d9o5p47.png (322KB, 746x1071px) Image search: [Google]
roo_sycrafied_by_sycra-d9o5p47.png
322KB, 746x1071px
>>2873631
>>
>>2873843
in 9/10 of Feng's tutorials, he draws shit he's drawn a million times before. Also, Feng uses references a lot, he just does it off-screen in most of his old tutorials. Go check out his newest ones he posted last week. It's in real time and he spends like the first 20 minutes gathering references before he starts drawing anything.
>>
>>2874081
he's gotten worse. Lazy.
>>
>>2874083
But using reference requires more effort, not less.
>>
>>2874060
oh shit sycra already did it!

Proko BTFO
>>
>>2873585
>meme. only if you're a big guy with a big canvas 4u

Enjoy carpal tunnel.
>>
>>2874094
his designs are uninspired, shitty. He used to be awe inspiring
>>
>>2874106
Actually with a regular 8x11 you have a higher chance of getting carpal tunnel from constant small movements with your shoulder, than if you draw from your elbow/wrist.
>>
>>2874114
He's always done the same shit. There's zero difference in quality nor design language.
>>
>>2874060
>No fingers
>No toes
>Being that thicc for a male child
>>
>>2873443
he doesn't even say "only draw from the shoulder" he just says it for a specific exercise, the strait lines one, because you can just drag your arm in one direction... he out rightly says you gotta use a combination of all for more complex strokes depending on what's more comfortable... infact he even mentions that he tends to do ellipses with the wrist and finds them difficult.
>>
>>2873585
> draw from the shoulder
> meme
I am willing to bet you have shitty scraggly lines. You should use every part of your arm available to draw you dipshit
>>
>>2874133
no, theres a distinct difference. The school must have drained all the life out of him, like an old athelete
>>
I think Feng Zhu is pretty cool and inspiring, he's a self-made man and I really admire that about him.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.