[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do you get into the habit of building a process and finishing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

File: 1469319388545.jpg (4KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
1469319388545.jpg
4KB, 160x160px
how do you get into the habit of building a process and finishing shit. I can't stop scrapping everything i make.
>>
I mainly do sketches, but I keep them, even though they usually stay unfinished. You don't have to scrap everything.
>>
You finish things no matter what.

Not everything.

But enough to make it a habit you can do.
>>
File: Changing a habit.jpg (433KB, 1357x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Changing a habit.jpg
433KB, 1357x1500px
>>
bumping because i have the same problem
>>
When you want to start a project wait till you have a few free hours so you can get a large Chungking done while you still have inspiration/drive. Looking at a thing that's 80% done is a lot easier to want to come back to and finish vs a bunch of small projects that aren't really planned out
>>
>>2871558
I've been doing this recently with some success.
I realized the importance of planning. Knowing how to plan, or how to start an art piece is a skill of its own. So I've been trying some approaches, and logging how successful they were and why.
After failing a few times and looking at what might have stopped me, I noticed problems I have with when trying to make a full painting. A big one is that I start detailing something before I've established every other element. I don't work in passes, where levels of detail are added to everything one pass at a time. I end up getting burnt out because I try to make one thing look perfect, then realize I don't even know what the rest of the painting should look like. So just through logging my observations I've found a few of my problems.
Then, I think of something to change in my approach, try it the next day, analyze how it went, see what problems there are and what might have improved in regards to finishing a painting, and repeat.
I consider factors like, how much of an idea should have before I start drawing; should I make sure I know every element in the painting from the beginning, or leave some for when the painting is further along; should I start with a line sketch or with paint; should I use ref and do studies for the things I'm not sure how to paint during the planning stage or later; etc.
Not a total solution, but doing this is helping me a lot in developing my skill to plan and follow through on a painting
>>
>>2871570
(am not op)
Whoever made this, thank you
-and thanks to the anon who posted it.
>>
>>2871558
>why can't things that i want to do just be easy

Wow, it's almost like quality takes effort

Just keep giving up instead of doing the obvious.
>>
>>2871757
p r o j e c t i n g
>>
>>2871558
?
I have the bad habit of never finishing anything
I draw until I think it is good
Then I look back and see how shit it is and try to fix it until it seems okay then ^^
>>
File: 1468653189104.gif (2MB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
1468653189104.gif
2MB, 360x360px
>>2871793
projecting what?

That it takes work and effort to finish a project?

>how do i stop giving up and scrapping projects
by not giving up and finishing projects

fuck your sensitive bullshit.
>>
>>2871813
I don't think you're projecting, though "not giving up and finishing projects" isn't really good advice. You're merely saying "you don't have the problem you're describing."
It's like:
"I'm having trouble understanding the form of the triceps."
"You're having trouble? What? Just understand them you idiot."
>>
File: 1468136350635.gif (404KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1468136350635.gif
404KB, 500x281px
>>2871833
>"I keep giving up, what do i do?"
don't give up?
>"well that's not very good advice."

I don't understand what anon expects. To hear a word or sentence, the clouds part with angels singing, and everything suddenly makes sense?
There is no secret.
Just do, then learn from it. Do more, then learn from that. Repeat infinitely.

Don't expect results. Make results.

>"how do i get into a habit?"
By doing it.

it's like
>"how do i get good at picking carrots from the ground?"
Pick a carrot from the ground, then repeat.
>>
>>2871861
You learn by doing, I agree.
But I would say that you need to identify why you're giving up instead of just "not giving up". In my experience, giving up doesn't just happen on its own, so it can't be fixed on its own. I've usually given up because I was doing something in a very inefficient way and made it much more difficult for myself without knowing. You can get yourself into a process which just makes it harder and harder as you go along, to the point that it becomes a huge, unreasonable amount more difficult to continue, than if you simply had a better process.
I'm not excusing lazy behavior. But giving up is the result of worse problems. A person who gives up lacks the knowledge to continue. If they knew what they could do, they'd do it.
It's like once when I was helping a neighbor carry a grill up their porch stairs. We each were holding up a side, and I was going first, walking backward up the stairs. cont...
>>
>>2871861
>>2871897
It was extremely fucking heavy, to the point that my arms and legs were shaking.
I finally realized that due to how we were going single-file, the center of gravity was not working in my favor and made it much more difficult for me to carry. So I suggested we go up sideways. And it was much, much easier, faster, less risk of injury, etc.
In art there are lots of things like that, realizations you need to make. But it's much more complex and much more nebulous than carrying something up some stairs, so one can't always reliably make these realizations on their own.
So, I'd like to ask:
Do you finish all the works you set out to do? If so, what's your process to making an art piece?
Most likely it differs from OP's and he might learn some ways to improve/form his own method.
>>
>>2871833
It's different, though. There's literally no other explanation or trick to be said in this case, it ultimately comes down to he just has to stop dropping everything. There's no real other advice to be given, either quit being such a bitch about finishing pieces or never make it because you never finish anything
>>
>guys I'm having trouble doing X, any advice?

>Yeah dude you can do Y to see if it works for you

>wow it worked! Thanks anon
>guys I'm having trouble doing X, any advice?

>JUST FUCKING DO IT YOU SENSITIVE BIRCH BOY STOP BEING SUCH A BITCH YOU LITTLE BITCH BOY LITTLE SENSITIVE BITCH CUNT JUST DO IT BITCH I DO IT BECAUSE I'M A MAN NOT LIKE YOU YOU SENSITIVE LITTLE BITCH WOMAN CUNT
>>
>>2871558
I used to have the same problem, but for me it wasn't as much a matter of forcing myself to just finish random sketches, but rather to spend more time thinking about what it is I could draw that I actually would want to finish.

Chances are, if a drawing doesn't inspire you to put in the time and effort to see it done, your intuition to scrap it is probably right. Try to plan a piece every once in a while where you actually like the idea and want to see it done and don't be afraid to do several sketches of that idea before moving on to finishing it.
>>
File: 1409827187714.jpg (462KB, 932x1596px) Image search: [Google]
1409827187714.jpg
462KB, 932x1596px
Watch this
https://gumroad.com/l/hWHh
and this
http://chrisoatley.com/hudson-river-painters/

Then read on fear of success. Success makes you vulnerable. The more hours you invest into a painting the more difficult it becomes to make changes. It's more fragile. Every brush stroke becomes more stressful because you could ruin the previous ones. It's like playing Jenga.

You need to develop tolerance to this. In the past art teachers would smear a blob of white paint on the student's almost finished painting.

After the student's rage settled down they would keep painting and return to that feeling of starting a new painting instead of the feeling that you have hit a wall.
>>
>>2871558
Maybe you're just not making things you're truly invested in. I have defeated this problem by really caring about the image I'm making as in it has significant meaning to me and I desperately want others to see it and interpret it. That alone puts my ass in gear to finish things.
>>
File: 1483326326243.png (32KB, 196x201px) Image search: [Google]
1483326326243.png
32KB, 196x201px
>>2871899
I used to give up on art pieces. Whether it be a song that I'd get halfway through composing or a drawing that I wouldn't fully flesh out.

Starting "fresh" is more interesting than finishing, because there's near infinite possibilities when starting, whereas finishing feels like work.

Because it IS work, and it's hard to know when to stop.

It's EASY to do something while inspired, but it's HARD to inspire yourself on a whim.

It's the same as people who look over my shoulder and say
>oh i wish i could draw like that
It takes effort and dedication to see things through to the end.

>what's your process
whether it's for people, monsters, machines, building, whatever?
>envision end result
>deconstruct mentally
>draw skeleton (frame / inner shape)
>add meat (outer shape)
>add skin (freckles or brickwork, whatever. mid-surface decals)
>add hair (outer layer decals)
>add light (shadows and glistening)

Sometimes the process is completely different. There's no one way of doing it, which is why there isn't a right answer to "how do i draw please help"
"give me paragraphs of advice for my vague and easily solved one-sentence question"

>>2872100
>crybabby overreaction
The delicious irony.
TL;DR
Just do it.
>>
>>2872100
holy shit

nice spergout you fucking child
>>
File: Birch.jpg (708KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Birch.jpg
708KB, 1200x1600px
>>2872100
>JUST FUCKING DO IT YOU SENSITIVE BIRCH
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.