[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone explain to me why anyone would use chromatic aberration

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 10

File: My_fucking_eyes.jpg (251KB, 1920x1125px) Image search: [Google]
My_fucking_eyes.jpg
251KB, 1920x1125px
Can anyone explain to me why anyone would use chromatic aberration in their art?

It burns my fucking eyes who though it's a viable filter in anything?
>>
It was the same thing with lens flares back in the day
>>
>>2863965
At least lens flares don't look like you've injected 50 kilograms of LSD into your veins and puked out all the skittles you've been eating for a decade
>>
>>2863965
This. There's no "should".
It's a fad. And fads passes.
If you deal with a fickle audience, add the effect. If you don't care about it, just proceed with your stuff.
>>
It a way to soften something without just blurring it.

The problem isn't the filter, it's the idots who don't know how to use it. If someone threw a strong gaussian blur over their entire image it'd look like garbage as well. It should be a very subtle effect and not everywhere in the image, and it doesn't work for all rendering styles.
>>
>>2863971
I have not seen anything with CA that does not look like the inside of Barney's asshole

Any pics to show what you mean?
>>
File: ca.png (198KB, 577x335px) Image search: [Google]
ca.png
198KB, 577x335px
>>2863975
i used a bit in this image. just to fuck around with it.
>>
>>2863990
>"a bit"
Bruv I thought my eyes were failing me for a second. It's so blurry I thought my eyesight was failing me

Although some games use CA to blur stuff, you're not supposed to notice it. It should be about 0.5px or less.

I think I'd rather use gaussian blur than CA in your case. It's way too blurry
>>
File: light1.png (266KB, 577x335px) Image search: [Google]
light1.png
266KB, 577x335px
>>2863995
i agree. this was the original i did. i mainly did the CA as a joke cause everyone bashes it on.
>>
File: hdrisfuckingdisgusting.jpg (221KB, 590x885px) Image search: [Google]
hdrisfuckingdisgusting.jpg
221KB, 590x885px
It imitates what a camera does so adds a bit more believability. i like it when it's done subtly.

the worst filter is hdr
>>
>>2863995
>>2863975
>>2863968
Whoa, you sound like a massive faggot.
Did anyone force you to use chromatic aberration at gunpoint and then killed your family?
>>
File: download.jpg (109KB, 1000x662px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
109KB, 1000x662px
>>2864005
I don't think I've seen anyone use CA for any form of believability

It appears in those old shitty photos that can't focus light well and unless you're trying to make a vaporwave album cover, there's no reason you'd want it in your photos
>>
>>2864010
No, but I've seen so much good artwork ruined by shitty CA filters

It should die off like all those shitty normie trends

Also, welcome to the board, newfag.
>>
>>2864016
>welcome to the board, newfag
No. Don't try to pass this behaviour as the norm here, you're unique on your bitchiness.
>>
*if* someday i make it, gonna put CA in everything, just to trigger the kind of retards itt.
>>
File: 58235381_p20_master1200.jpg (226KB, 791x844px) Image search: [Google]
58235381_p20_master1200.jpg
226KB, 791x844px
>>2864021
Unfortunately for you, it is the norm. I don't know what threads you've been reading nor how long you've been here but take a scroll and you'll see many threads with this sort of tone

Who pissed in your cornflakes today, anon?
>>
>>2864027
That's the thing, anon.
You're never going to make it
>>
File: 32089124_p0.jpg (403KB, 732x807px) Image search: [Google]
32089124_p0.jpg
403KB, 732x807px
>>2864012
oh shush. It's aesthetic when done right. As long as it's only used on out of focus parts
>>
>>2864005
I think HDR looks good when you do it right

I think the main problem is that phone cameras just spits out these stitched-together abominations where a photog is best suited to sieve out and pick the best highlights in each of the ranges.

It shouldn't be some random filter like sepia or pop that people use for fun, whereas it should be used for...

Landscapes: Big landscape photos usually have a lot of contrast between the sky and land, which is difficult for your camera to deal with in just one photo. With HDR, you can capture the sky's detail without making the land look too dark, and vice versa.

Portraits in Sunlight: We all know that lighting is one of the most important aspects of a good photo, but too much lighting on someone's face—like harsh sunlight—can cause dark shadows, bright glare, and other unflattering characteristics. HDR can even that all out and make your subject look better.

Low-Light and Backlit Scenes: If your photo is looking a little too dark—which often happens if your scene has too much backlight—HDR can brighten up the foreground without washing out the well-lit portions of your photo.
>>
>>2864031
My eyes

They bleed

It looks like that damn glitch art trend some years ago. This is anything but aesthetic. I can bet you that it looks much better without CA.
>>
>>2864033
no it's always terrible and makes everything look dirty
>>
File: au8dka5ps1yfmblt0azo.jpg (2MB, 2048x1814px) Image search: [Google]
au8dka5ps1yfmblt0azo.jpg
2MB, 2048x1814px
>>2864038
I dunno, it looks okay to me

Also no derail pls
>>
>>2864043
By that I mean HDR itself not the photo you posted

Jesus fuck what the fuck is that
>>
File: firefox_16-6.png (1MB, 487x865px) Image search: [Google]
firefox_16-6.png
1MB, 487x865px
>>2864038
I like HDR for this reason.
It's fun to take pictures of things and make them look like they have lived in the sewer for ages.
>>
>>2864045
Why would you use HDR for closeups
You're just washing your colours out and muddying everything
>>
>>2864021
>you're unique on your bitchiness.

If there's anything common on /ic/ its the propensity to bitch, especially if it enforces a feeling of elitism against "normies".
>>
>>2864021
I'm sorry anon, but it's the norm. BUT there is nice and helpful people here too, so don't give up.
>>
>>2863990
>>2863999
I think it looks better with the CA, the CA is giving you edges that seem more defiined since your rendering style too soft, so you could just use an unsharp mask instead.
>>
>>2863962
don't you see natural chromatic aberration when looking at full moon or anything with contrasting colors? It's like subpixel hinting found on monitors - a proof that we're living in the matrix
>>
>>2863962
It's a cheap and easy trick, but normies like the look of it. Like it or hate it, it's just a fad that'll mostly go away in a few years. Personally I like it when it's done nicely. I sometimes use it on sketches so they don't look so dull. Good for polishing a turd.
>>
>>2864012
CA is a camera error
>>
>>2864016
>normie

Please don't unironically use that word.
It wouldn't be so cringe-worthy if the majority of the users here could produce anything of decent quality compared to the artists the whine about
>>
>>2864044
That's literally what a real HDR is num nuts
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.