[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Deviantart fixable, or is it beyond saving? How would you

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: absolute fucking cancer.jpg (24KB, 1191x670px) Image search: [Google]
absolute fucking cancer.jpg
24KB, 1191x670px
Is Deviantart fixable, or is it beyond saving? How would you try to make Deviantart a great website? Or at least less of a shitty website....
>>
>>2862872
how about you draw instead of judging the art of teenagers?
>>
>>2862882
Come on, it's Thursday night, let's have some funposting.
>>
>>2862872
it's not broken.
Use it as a hosting site and a portfolio and you'll find it's quite useful.
>>
I'm wondering what will replace Tumblr and Instagram in two to five years.
>>
>>2862884
It's Wednesday.
>>
>>2862901
You're right, it is. I'm too tired for this shit.
>>
File: what are they doing wrong.jpg (184KB, 1119x905px) Image search: [Google]
what are they doing wrong.jpg
184KB, 1119x905px
>>
>>2862927
>doing wrong
>highest ranked out of the three
>>
Do something about groups. As it is it's a monumental pain in the ass to find and apply to groups suitable for your art, and half of them are dead and don't check applications.

Rework the algorithms so that rather than just drawing all the site traffic to your top 100 artists through a feedback loop, have it recommend art in a more intelligent way.

Use the registration information to send death squads to the homes of 80% of their users.
>>
>>2862927

Is there a way to see a longer view than just a few months?
>>
>>2862960
>have it recommend art in a more intelligent way.
But that's exactly what DA has already, it's the one for mysterious users or whatever. It's full of complete unknowns.
>>
>>2862929
that's my point!
>>2862962
I couldn't find a way, but maybe you could
>>
>>2862960
exactly, it's such a pain to submit artwork to groups
>>
>>2862872
There's nothing inherently wrong with deviantart, it's free file hosting that supports massive files and can be shared to every popular social media website in existance.

Thinking da is only for furry donut steels is like thinking 4chan is only for cheese pizza.
>>
>>2863063
Funny thing is, I don't know what DA did, but I don't see furry art at all anymore. It's like they somehow managed to block it. I go there and only see fantasy and highly rendered artwork as well as anime.
>>
File: 1486684052887.jpg (1MB, 776x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1486684052887.jpg
1MB, 776x1000px
>>2862872
What exactly is a problem with DA? It's an art site catered to amateurs, Artstation is for pros.
>>
>>2863154
I think /ic/ doesn't like DA because it's a hugbox and that people there actually draw.
>>
File: denny_by_itzfurryda-daz8t2h.png (38KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
denny_by_itzfurryda-daz8t2h.png
38KB, 800x600px
>>2863067

I went and hit "sort by newest" and this was the fourth down.

They've not gone anywhere.
>>
The last three times I tried to go to deviant art it gave my computer a virus. After I got rid of the last one I stopped even trying to go there.
>>
>>2863286
Not that deviant art you dumb ass
>>
Came to /ic/ to see if there was a DA thread, because I just came from there and it's just furries/ ponyshit and shitty, scratchy sketches scanned from lined notepads.
Is it even a legitimate platform anymore? Was it ever?
>>
>>2862872
The only thing that's really broken are groups. Nobody uses groups to grow sub-communities, they just use them to spam their artwork to gain exposure. Because of this most groups end up dead, there's just no motivation to keep them growing.

It's difficult to form communities and network with other artists when everyone is just their for their own benefit. Doesn't help that the critique feature requires membership.
>>
>>2863640
Membership is cheap anyways.
>>
>>2863633
DA is full of great art if you aren't a fucking retard about it and expect to find it on the front page.
>>
I'd ban the fuck out of vore, inflation, farts, and scat.
>>
>>2863667
Fair enough. Doesn't help that their tag system is one of the most unintuitive pieces of crap I've ever worked with, though.
>>
>>2862872
is it too late to make a DA account?
>>
>>2862872
It has its place in the art world and it does a good job.
It can be a nice platform to gather following, just ignore the autists using it like elderly people use facebook.
>>
>>2863067
A few years back they "ranked" the categories so that categories that don't get as many hits are promoted more. They must have set anthro to really low. (They also set fanart to be really low, leading people to put fanart into other categories.)
Coincidentally, design and interfaces as well as photography are ranked very highly. It's why the frontpage is filled with things that are miscategoriezed--especially people taking pictures of their work and calling it "photography". It takes about 30 favorites to show up on the front page in the desktop wallpapers category or some of the stranger ones.
>>
Honestly, DeviantArt has quite good UI, it's pretty intuitive. I don't know, maybe search system could be better?

I really can't see much wrong with it from technical point of view. You might not like community, but...yeah.
>>
>>2864612
All art communities tend to become shitty once they hit a breaking point.

That's the one good thing about /ic/, the default anonymity. But even here you see egos namefagging.

Once the fans of an artist starts hanging out a place and policing/white-knighting the comments then it become less about learning a skill and more about promoting individuals.
>>
>>2864594
But what's the point showing up on the frontpage in a category no one browses anyway? The real trick these days seems to get into undiscovered, which is the default when you click on the front page now, even before Daily Deviations. Does Undiscovered operate on any kind of algorhythm or is it just some DA mods handpicking new images with less than ~100 favs?
>>
>>2864625
Undiscovered is probably algorithm operated because it's actually got good stuff.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.