[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I saw a ton of 'how to start drawing' on the sticky,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: Le_Crab.jpg (1020KB, 1605x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Le_Crab.jpg
1020KB, 1605x2000px
I saw a ton of 'how to start drawing' on the sticky, but didn't found anything significant on painting.

What's the best route to someone who never painted to begin with this? I'm a little familiar with drawing and charcoal, and just bought some oil paintings and brushes.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
I'd suggest familiarizing yourself with William Powell's books on Color Mixing Recipes. The sheer wealth of colours available in oils is something you have to be aware of.

I mixed a few of Powell's mixes and slotted them into a metal mesh grid in my backpack, which secures them easily for plein air painting.
>>
Sorry for the image size, but you can see that the grid is arranged in R/B/Y.
>>
File: IMG_0311.jpg (162KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0311.jpg
162KB, 1200x1600px
Start with a very limited palette.
Honestly, I'd even start with just black and white and focus on getting used to the medium.
Or if you want to go craaazy, get a nice burnt umber and white.

Just think of it as drawing in the beginning. Except you're just using paint, is all. No different really.
Focus on abstract shadow shapes. This will make or break you. Keep edges hard until you've gotten everything on the canvas (the drawing+shadow shapes).
Then blend for softer edges, and other gradients.

Keep things simple. They generally read better anyway.

Pic related although it's charcoal.
Don't get overwhelmed. Take your time, it's going to take a few attempts to get where you want to be.

With oil, it helps to use Gamsol (turpentine is toxic and smells horrible. Gamsol is non-toxic just very, very flammable...so store it in a jar to wash brushes and invest in a metal can to throw away any cloth/paper towel you might use with the gamsol.)
Mediums are nice too, Liquin is a good start. But just start with paint and gamsol and you should be good to go for a bit.
>>
>>2861360
All that is true, but I feel like every oil painter comes to the same place ultimately--palette work.

I spent a lot of time drawing and digital "painting" but the place I finally had to settle down and really focus abs study was on that palette.

I'd jump right into color mixing right away. It's where I really learn the most. It even leveled up my graphite and charcoal work.
>>
>>2861469
>I'd jump right into color mixing right away. It's where I really learn the most. It even leveled up my graphite and charcoal work.
Mind explaining how?
>>
>>2861470
DrawMixPaint on Youtube had some great videos on color matching and mixing, though he seems to be strictly alla prima (which means you have to go elsewhere for good glazing info).

He's a very good painter though it's not to my taste. I guessed he painted a presidential portrait and now charges 75k a portrait, so he's credentialed anyway.

Definitely check his lessons out though.
>>
Keep going...
>>
>>2861360
>>2861087
But what about the subject? I heard some people saying that I should start with still life then jump into portraits then full body stuff.
>>
Mix a color chart, I don't care how boring you think it is, its essential for understanding how your pigments react with each other.

Do monochromatic studies of still life to get the feel of it and refine technique.

Later on buy richard schmid's alla prima book.
>>
File: crap.png (752KB, 633x927px) Image search: [Google]
crap.png
752KB, 633x927px
Gave it a shot with acrylic. I'm not happy with it.

what I experienced

1. The brush is fucked and I can't get detailed with it
2. The paper is also fucked and leaves white spots not filled with color
3. The paint is VERY fucked and most of the time it felt like scrubbing this half-dried crusty paste around
4. The colors are fucked and they are far from the actual colors

What I learned:

1. The color is crucial to make things look good.
2. Acrylic dries too fast
3. I dont know how much sketching to do vs just paint and refine.
>>
>>2864065
>2. Acrylic dries too fast
You can make a stay-wet palette with a large tuperware container, paper towels, and parchment paper (~$5 max). That will keep your palette from drying out on you. You can add an acrylic retarder to the paint to keep it wet on the support longer.
>>
You can mix decent flesh tones just by using white and burnt sienna. I've been out of the loop for awhile but small portraits or icons seem like a good starting point for beginners.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2505x1425px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2505x1425px
Buy a number of empty aluminium tunes to mix and preserve oil colours. Besides the tubes themselves, you'll need a palette knife, the basic colours prescribed by William F. Powell, and a pair of pliers to seal the tubes up!
>>
>>2864065
Get or make a wet palette
Grab yourself some Slow-dry medium for acrylics (life saver for those who struggle with fast dry times)

Get yourself some cheap brushes but make sure they have some snap to them. Bright brushes are good for detailing.

Since it's acrylic, sometimes to get a soft edge you can paint a color down, paint another color and quickly scrub it with a clean brush or your finger.
You can try layering for soft gradients (green, greenblue, bluegreen, blue) too if you're having trouble.

Also it seems like you have a lot of white space inbetween forms...when painting acrylic you lay down a shape, and cut into it with another shape. Or put paint directly on top of paint.

If you want to save your drawing, you can always put the drawing on tracing paper backwards, transfer it to your canvas. if you ever need to reference the drawing you can just put the tracing paper back on the paint (since it dries plastic) and retransfer.

Or you can use acrylic like watercolor and creep up the painting.
>>
>>2864211
>>2864088
thanks for the pointers!

>lay down a shape, and cut into it with another shape
this makes sense and would make the whole painting easier from the start.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.