[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Things I have noticed when commissioning people: - (amateur)

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1485605012148.jpg (65KB, 510x370px) Image search: [Google]
1485605012148.jpg
65KB, 510x370px
Things I have noticed when commissioning people:

- (amateur) artists who throw out a lot of artworks and/or draw all kinds of things don't necessarily want to be commissioned.
- professional artists with degree are sometimes easier to catch than amateurs and don't always want to be paid, even when you try to.
- amateurs like to ask too much about what you want to have drawn and this shows how insecure they are. on the other hand, artists who only want to talk about money and think they've understood your idea after one sentence, are worse.
- good art doesn't have to cost much and there are amateurs who ask for more than professionals.
- even a professional can be incapable of drawing certain styles.
- it's almost impossible to deal with furry artists since their pricing is often arbitrary and they tend to act arrogant.
- the best artists i've come along suffer under depression, and they weren't professionals either.
- it's hard to commission people on tumblr since the messaging system is inefficient and artists there care a lot about reblogs, so they want popular ideas.
>>
quality post
>>
A list of random sweeping generalizations the thread.
>>
>>2860317
Thanks for the turd
>>
You sound like a literal retard.
>>
>>2860123
>professional artists [...] don't always want to be paid
how can this be possible?

otherwise, i generally agree with amateurs being pretentious and wildly overcharging for their shitty work, since i myself had been guilty of that.
>>
>>2860317
Only some observations I've made.

>>2860410
I don't know why. Refer to my comment above.

>>2860455
I assume that some professionals like the challenge; they take it as a practice.
>>
>>2860410
>feel my virgin rage!
>>
I fear that the term 'professional' has suffered some erosion over the past few years / decades.

It used to be that a professional was someone who earned a livelyhood in some kind of profession (hence the word) which requiered a certain degree of expertise. And it used to be such that, to be able to make ones living with that occupation, the level of skill had to be adequately high.

So, if you would say someone did 'a professional job', it was as if a person with the skills of a professional had done it.

Now this is no longer the case. Someone can make a lot of money, but the required amount of skill is no longer needed, or recognized. Ergo, it is no longer hard to find 'amateurs' (those who follow an occupation without earning a livelyhood) who have more expertise than a 'professional'.

I would suggest making a clear differentiation between 'professional' and 'expert'.

So, indeed, a 'professional' can work for free, as this person can lack the proper skill and attitute of the expert, while the 'expert' will not do so, because he/she understands the time, dedication and hard work needed to reach the level of expertise, to be rightly called an expert.
>>
>>2860123
>>2860671

>an artist with debt from an expensive art degree doesn't want to get paid for making art because they think of it as practice because being professionals with degrees they certainly haven't gotten enough of that

You're talking out of your ass
>>
File: come on.png (369KB, 649x649px) Image search: [Google]
come on.png
369KB, 649x649px
This thread is complete horseshit.

>deal with furry artists
>it's hard to commission people on tumblr

Oh, well that explains it. OP thinks commissioning people = hiring people off Tumblr, sometimes to draw in styles that are not their own. These observations only apply to the weird, awkward and clunky interactions of hiring amateur artists online to draw private commissions. This is likely done over those bullshit, fast-food style commission sheets.

None of what OP said applies to professional artists working in any of the professional illustration industries.
>>
/ic/ in a nutshell. You people are out of touch with reality.
>>
The important thing is, does anyone have that Dobson Samus Aran commission screencap?
>>
>>2863613
Then what is reality?
>>
>>2860772
tell me about pro commissioning because i would like to konw. seriously, amateur shit aside
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.