[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT List Tools that you found to be God tier vs tools you found

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 10

ITT List Tools that you found to be God tier vs tools you found to be a meme. I'll start:

God Tier

>Winsor Newton Series 7 sable brushes for inking (wow you guys were right, a good brush really makes a difference)
>Blue lead for mechanical pencils (I've gone from blue pencils-->blue markers--->blue ink--->blue pen but these thin blue lead are just perfect for me)
>The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver
>Electric erasers

Meme tier

>Tombow mono drawing pencils
>Pilot V5 Hi-TECPOINT (fuck this shit pen)
>Blending Stump
>ruling pen (quite possibly the biggest meme)
>Winsor & Newton Pigment Marker (mostly because it only works with their paper)
>>
God Tier (for me)
-Prismacolor col erase pencils (for construction studies)
-Ritmo charcoal pencils
-Pigma Manga drawing set
-Esterbrook Radio 914
-Canson sketchbooks
-electric eraser

Meme tier (deserves maymay arrows)
>Moleskin sketchbooks
>Caryola watercolors
>Pigma Microns
>Rotring Rapidographs
>ballpoint pens
>Tria markers
>>
>>2857508
>Meme tier
>>Tombow mono drawing pencils
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little Bic? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my box at Tombow Japan, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret figure studies of live models, and I have over 300 confirmed still lives. I am trained in gesture warfare and I’m the top drawer in the entire Japanese Art Forces. You are nothing to me but just another commission. I will draw you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this board, mark my fucking value studies. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of doujinshi artists across Japan and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the eraser, maggot. The eraser that wipes out the pathetic little things you call your drawings. You’re fucking drawn, kid. I can draw anywhere, anytime, and I can push values in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my HB grade. Not only am I extensively trained in unsharpened gradient renderings, but I have access to the entire arsenal of amazon.co.jp and I will use it to its full extent to draw your miserable ass on the face of this Bristol board, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tortillion. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit forms all over you and you will feel them. You’re fucking drawn, kiddo.
>>
God tier:
>nib pens
>0,3mm mechanical pensils
>watercolor
>markers
>uniball technical pens
>knead eraser

Meme tier:
>brush pens
>(((fine art))) coloring pencils
>gioconda pencils
>pigma technical pens
>white gel pens
>>
>>2857517
>moleskin sketchbooks

Man, I wanna agree with you so bad. I really do. I have 3 moleskins now. I have to say, I love the paper quality. I love how it takes pencils and inks. I have nothing bad to say about them. I know they're meme/sjw/tumblr.

But fuck, I just love the paper.
>>
>>2857542
>Brush pens

These are actually great. It takes a learning curve to fully know how to handle them.
>>
God tier:
>mechanical pencils
>ballpoint pens, all the way from the cheap bics to the uni jetstreams
>black verithin pencils
>dip pens
>W&N india ink - the one with the spider

Expensive god tier:
>copic markers - I've had mine for 10 years now and they're still juicy and fresh without replacing
>W&N gouache
>W&N oil paints
>good brushes. I have the W&N sable 7 too

Memes:
>sakura microns in general, even though they're alright for construction sketching but a good dip pen surpasses that
>white gel pens - just use white gouache
>moleskine. the paper is nothing special

Art supplies are so fucking expensive. No wonder artists starve.
>>
Anyone tried Palomino Blackwing Pearl pencils? Are they meme-tier or actually good?

Also my god-tier list:
>Staedtler Mars eraser
>Woodless graphite pencils
>Papermate Flair Felt-tip pens
Really digging the Papermate pens because of how easy it is to transition my digital, binary line style to traditional. I haven't tried to apply them to full sized drawings yet, though.
>>
>>2857542
>brush pens

sorta agree

waterbrush are god tier but so far I only found ink brush pens useful for filling in blanks. I do want to try this mod with a sable brush pen for larger reservoir https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F6hkqWCNPE
>>
File: 1486348299712.jpg (90KB, 680x941px) Image search: [Google]
1486348299712.jpg
90KB, 680x941px
>>2857508
What's the problem with Hi-TEC's?
>>
File: Untitled.png (51KB, 955x618px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
51KB, 955x618px
>>2857562

this area is always covered in ink so I have to clean it
It's the only pen I have that ever does this and I don't even live in a warm place

The ink bleeds also, it has just been an all around mediocre experience for me
>>
God tier:
Derwent electric eraser (better than sex)
Rotring 600 mechanical pencil
Pentel lead 0.5mm
Staedtler pencils

Decent tier:
Winsor and Newton Artists Fixative (fucking expensive but much better than using hairspray)

Meme tier:
>Kuru Toga rotating mechanical pencils
>Rotring 800 and 800+
>That book about the right side of the brain
>>
>>2857571
Does the ink in that area change anything?
>>
>>2857575
well it gets my fingers covered in ink which is annoying (I forgot to specify its in the outer part)
>>
god tier
>brush pens (refillable, best with a little of water since the ink becomes easier to apply, the tip doesn't clog or dry out when left uncapped and it still looks black)
>markers

ok tier
>digital (with high sensitivity)
>pens (the less you have to press to leave a mark the better)

meme tier
>pencils (feel awesome on page, but have to stop to sharpen, if they are mechanical you have less line variation, have to press hard (HB) or have to start from opposite of the drawing hand (B))
>>
>>2857574
>Kuru Toga rotating mechanical pencils

I'm using these and liking them, but I think its more to do with the fact its the only mechanical pencil I bought that were of good quality rather than the rotating thing (which is a meme indeed)
>>
>>2857571
that's because it's mostly meant for writing dipshit, not drawing.
>>
>>2857592
And it has been highly recommended on /ic/. d/ic/kwad
>>
Talking about prismacolor col erase pencils, anyone know some online shops that sell them within Europe? I can only find them in US shops and I don't want to pay 25 euros import fee over 3 pencils..
>>
>>2857588
>meme tier
>>pencils

Agree, and after using tools like charcoal I can't stand that shiny texture lead gives. pens or markers are not only faster but look better scanned
>>
>>2857508
>The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserve
Quite possibly the GOAT

>W&N Pigment Markers
The more I used them, the more I get that it's its own medium. It helps if you treat it like paint. The white blender is really cool, but they need to develop some better way to apply it. If not that, a way to clean it as to where you don't have to "assign one" white blender per colour family due to the way it works.
You don't necessarily need their own branded paper, but you do need some sort of alternative like Yupo or the back of a sheet on certain marker pads. The latter I honestly don't get, but some people who've used it with the pigment markers swear it works.

>>2857517
I've tried out the Moleskine watercolour sketchbook before, but not the regular sketchbook. The watercolour pages feel really weird, and sometimes it will actually repel water. I don't know if it's due to how they sized it or something, it can be distracting.

>>2857542
>(((fine art))) coloring pencils
List brands. There are a lot of companies that have been taking advantage of crafters & the adult colouring book fans by producing a lot of subpart colouring supplies over the past few years. Prismacolour has had its own quality control shit going on separate from that though.
>>
>>2857556
Haven't tried the pearl ones, but the traditional Blackwing 201 (I think that's the number) is god tier for certain applications. Not necessarily all of them though. The thing is that it is very very easy to leave a lot of graphite on the paper, so for example they will smudge like crazy if you draw in a sketchbook with them. But drawing with them is amazing.
>>
>>2857571
Maybe you got a defective pen? I only ever use plain Precise V5s (which don't take cartridges), and in 20+ years I've only had one leak ink. They're my favorite pen by far, and I have a lot of pens.
>>
>>2857554
>W&N india ink - the one with the spider
How would you compare it to other black inks? I've only gotten a chance to try the gold & silver drawing inks that W&N produces, instead of their black drawing ink.

>>2857556
I've tried the 602 pencils before, which are a grade or so darker from what I've read compared to the Pearl pencils. They're okay. Quite smooth to use, but can smudge pretty easily. The eraser is fucking horrible, which is a real damn shame. Would rather stick with regular 2B pencils, or those "blacklead" grading pencils to use. At least the latter has a normal pencil eraser attached to it. Palomino does offer refills for their pencils, but at that point just use a vinyl or kneaded eraser.

I still prefer Ticonderogas to them all though. Meme-tier probably, but decades of using it makes it hard to grow out of for me.
>>
God Tier:
>Pentel Pocket Brush Pen
>Rotring 600 mechanical pencils
>Pentel Graphgear 1000 mechanical pencils (for pockets)
>Pilot Penmanship fountain pen
>eraser shields

Meme Tier:
>steel-tip technical pens (Rapidographs)
>fiber-tip technical pens (Microns)
>kneaded erasers
>sunlight
>>
File: 10987773_src_2.jpg (173KB, 1500x574px) Image search: [Google]
10987773_src_2.jpg
173KB, 1500x574px
>>2857618
>List brands.
Bought a tin of Lyra pencils and they're pretty disappointing considering the price. Also Faber Castell has one of those fancy colored pencils that aren't much better than their common ones. You could even do more by using their watercolor pencils without water and have a better time coloring than the fancy ones (though they wear faster).
>>
>>2857659
those pears look lewd.
>>
>>2857647
daylight is good but plain drawing outside is meme tier
>>
>>2857605

I've been looking as well. Being eurofag is suffering.
>>
>>2857638
I've tried the other W&N ink with the dragon, Higgins, and a couple other brands I don't recall (it was at Blick couple years ago). The spider ink is water-proof and doesn't smear with neither alcohol markers nor watercolors, and has a really deep jet black pigment.

also forgot to mention - Pentel Pocket Brush pen for god tier. Forget the Micron brush pens, they're shit.
>>
>>2857659
lyra pencils are awesome they practically pay for themselves!
>>
Are the faber castell polychromos meme tier?
>>
>>2857659
Oh those. desu I kind of consider the Lyra pencils low-end artist grade quality. You didn't like the Polychromos though? Both of those are oil-based pencils, so it could just be that you don't like that type of pencil entirely.

>>2857680
Will have to check the W&N drawing ink out then. Have had good results with regards to alcohol and water resistance with Deleter #4 ink, Ph. Martin's Bombay india ink & iridescent calligraphy ink lines, and the Black Cat ink that Dick Blick sells under their name. Mine could just be a decent batch from Blick though. Deleter is the GOAT but it's so expensive to get for just a 30ml bottle. Trying to look for alternatives for that, as it has such great resistance to both, it can honestly be called alcoholproof & waterproof.

Some fountain pen inks (which will be safe for brush pens) like Noodler's Inks, Platinum Carbon Black and the Sailor STORiA line of coloured inks are alright in regard to water/alcohol resistance. Sometimes they will falter a bit though, but at least the options on that side exists. However, water brushes like Pentel Aquash can be a great substitute to brush pens. It'll support all of the inks listed above, especially after removing the small white filter out of the brush valve. Even regular FP-safe pigmented inks would clog a regular Aquash with the filter still intact, so having it removed is for the best. One would have to get used to the way the brush would then flow, but it isn't too steep of a learning curve. I haven't had a chance to test out other water brushes to say if those would work in the same way.
>>
Art supplies aren't always "one size fits all", so I'd rather just talk about the shopping methods.

GOD TIER:
>Finding amazing supply deals on places like Amazon, eBay, etc
Have had pretty good luck scouring those sites, but those deals are few and far between.
Found a cheap as fuck listing on Amazon a few weeks ago: 10 sheets of 22" x 30" sheets of Arches cold-press watercolour paper (140lb/300gsm) for $30 USD with Prime shipping. I lucked out when purchasing, as that listing sold out after a day or so. Also on Amazon, there was a short window of time where the Pentel Pocket Brush (the package with two refills) was $5 per pen; it also had Prime shipping attached. A while after, it reverted back to the regular price of $13. Two years ago, got a 60 set of Holbein watercolours off of eBay for $25 (shipping was also free). All of these items did not appear counterfeit, as they matched to what I had on hand to help compare. Saving the Holbein set for gifting to a younger artist eventually, and turning some of those sheets into blocks or sketchbooks.

MEME TIER:
>Coupons from places like Michael's or AC Moore
It's not really much of a deal for most art supplies they offer. 50% off for some item at Michael's will still end up being more expensive than certain places online. If craft stores are the only places you can get shit from, would suggest shopping around before having to resort to that. Had years of that as my only place to get art supplies from, but after doing the above, it was pretty eye-opening how little discounts craft stores & its coupons will really offer.
>>
>>2857542
>Shitting on brushpens

Not gonna make it.
>>
>>2857728
Fuck it, here's an in-between too:

OKAY TIER:
>Holiday sales or really discounted sales offers at online art supply stores like Jerry's Artarama & Dick Blick
You can sometimes find certain items that won't fall under the "always on sale" umbrella due to the companies not checking shit thoroughly. Holiday sales will usually be more consistent with the discounts to take advantage of, but sometimes weekly offers can be just as good too. I'm sure other sites do the same, but I can only talk about the places I've purchased shit from before. It's all a matter of shopping around.

Last year during the end of year sales at Jerry's, ended up with a huge discount on Strathmore Illustration Board trading cards. 60 count of cards (which is just five normal packs; 12 cards per pack) for $12 per bundle, but I had to get two bundles to get the order discounted with the coupons at the time. Added on some card sleeves, and three kneaded eraser. Because they also were giving away cheap ass pencil sets as "free gifts" on top of the discounts and free shipping, all of that for a total of $35 was really not too bad. That illustration board card bundle is currently selling for $18 per bundle under the "lowest price possible" flag, so it can't be discounted anymore.
From Blick's, I got a few sheets of 22" x 30" Canson Edition paper (which ended up being less than $2 per sheet) during a weekly sale as they suffered from the same thing as the other example. As with the earlier item, the Edition sheets are under the "lowest price possible" flag now. There are still other items bought before that are still not marked with that flag, which is pretty nice. I don't know how they really decide on when an item will be hit by the sales flag outside of popular/overused items.
>>
God tier
>mars technico lead holder
>derwent electrical eraser - got it as a gift but it's super nice for getting clear, precise erases
>pentel waterbrush pens
>sharpie fine liner pen
>intuos pro
>manga studio

meh tier
>pentel pocket brush pen - I think it has potential to be a great tool when I acquire a comfort with it but I'm too heavy handed

meme tier
>jelly roll white gel pen - it fucking sucks, I just got whiteout instead and it works much better
>adobe photoshop for anything but post-processing
>>
>>2857767
The standard Gelly Roll pens definitely have faded out in favor of the UniBall Signo (Broad) white pens as the quick opaque white option. While white gouache is great like an earlier anon said, those kinds of pens are nice when travelling with little space to take art shit with you. Witeout is not really archival, so you have to be a bit careful when using that if you want to save some art down the road.
>>
>>2857508
I bought a 100 pack of crayola color pencils because I am a poorfag.
I'm trying to save money for some offbrand dick blick copic replicas
>>
>>2857554
>W&N oil paints
Absolutely amazing. Especially the transparents. If you lay down the right opaque and follow it up with the right transparent you will be making headway very fast!
>>
>>2857550
The paper quality was 160GSM, but from what I'm hearing they sunk below that...
>>
>>2857542
>white gel pens
Honest question. What's a good alternative? I was going to get Uniball Signo Broad point gel pen, but if you know something that delivers white better, please tell me.
>>
>>2857508
God Tier

>Indian Orange
>Cadmium Yellow
>Turquoise
>Cheap brushes
>Cheap canvases

Meme tier:

>Stretching your own canvases
>Ultramarine Blue
>Pthalo anything
>Red paints that aren't halfway onto the purple spectrum
>Any white other than Titanium
>Black paint
>Payne's Grey
>Green paint
>Anything other than the cheapest brushes you can buy
>Linseed Oil or any medium other than Turpentine or OMS
>>
>>2857915
>Anything other than the cheapest brushes you can buy

Maybe for oil or acrylic (which I haven't tried), does make a difference for inking
>>
>>2857915
Brian please
>>
File: zinc vs titanium.jpg (84KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
zinc vs titanium.jpg
84KB, 800x600px
>>2857864
Not that anon, but you can't go too wrong with opaque white gouache.

>>2857915
>Any white other than Titanium
holy jej

>>2857931
It's pretty important for watercolour too, but it doesn't seem like that post was including anything outside of oils.
>>
>>2857767
>meme tier
>jelly roll white gel pen
Amen brother. I bought a pack because the Inktober guy shilled them. Never again!

> UniBall Signo
I'd really like to get some. I see Peter Han uses these in dynamic sketching also.
>>
>>2858047
Jetpens has a decent article showing off a bunch of different white gel pens:
www.jetpens.com/blog/guide-to-choosing-white-gel-ink-pens-and-markers/pt/340
>>
>>2858082
>Want uniball signo
>Just want to go to walmart and get it
>No local place actully sells it, so I have to be patient and order one.
Fuck
>>
>>2857662
you're a meme tier
>>
>>2857525
GOLD
>>
>>2857517
>ballpoint pens
fight me
>>
>>2857508

God Tier
>Bic Intensity Fine (0.5) seriously the best pen at wallmart 2 for 2.89$
>Winsor and Newton Series 7 I use them for water color and would never dream of using them for ink/acrylic it would damage them too much.
>Gumbacher Goldenedge 4620 round. (These have a nice hardwood finished handle and are synthetic but honestly I end up using these more than my Series 7 and you can get them 50% off at michaels)
>Liquitex Professional Ink!
>Pentel pocket brush (honestly this thing is worth it's weight in actual gold, and there are refill hacks)

Meme tier

>W&N Cotman Water color paint. (Drastically over rated even for student grade.) Daniel Smith, or Gumbacher, even David Smith is better.
> fountain pens.

Now I haven't used it but I actually suspect Arches Wc paper is meme tier. The basic blue XL Canson seems more than good enough.

>Expensive god tier:
>W&N gouache
I have this and am waiting to use it until I get better with regular WC looking forward to it!

>Winsor & Newton Pigment Marker

Fully agree! I tried these in stores and they are meme tier for sure. I have no idea why anyone would buy them. The Copics are just so much better.
>>
unsharpened clutch pencils are pretty great
>>
>>2858229
>Now I haven't used it but I actually suspect Arches Wc paper is meme tier. The basic blue XL Canson seems more than good enough.
It's a meme for being overused for sure, but Arches is not really that bad of a paper. Your argument would be better if you were comparing it to Fabriano or Bockingford, which also make 100% cotton content papers. Comparing it to wood paper like Canson XL isn't very fair, as they behave differently with the medium.

The W&N pigment markers also behave differently from Copics, but the difference isn't documented well enough for people to tell until they've had a really good amount of time to use them. It's pretty unfortunate how that ended up though.
>>
God tier:
Fabercastell polychromos color pencils. If you use Gamsol to bend.

Dr. Ph Martin's blackstar hi-carb ink. Tried so many other inks and they never measure up.

Crescent Rendr no bleed sketchbooks.

Arches watercolor block, hot or cold press depending on what you need for tooth.

Trio pencil sharpener. I'll never buy another sharpener.

Copic markers. Live up to the hype.

Great tier:
Kuratake brush pen

Blackwing, 602 and Pearl. Love the pencils but they're expensive af.

Meme tier:
Dip pens.
Noodler's ink. This shit smears and smudges like crazy on quality paper.
Ballpoint pens.
Masking fluid. Pulls up even good quality paper.
>>
>>2858289
>Noodler's ink. This shit smears and smudges like crazy on quality paper.
Agreed. I get that it's a water-based ink, but it dries so slowly. Parka Blogs estimated the drying time to be two minutes or something like that, it's ridiculous. I don't know if it is because of the specific formula, or something else.

Don't know if anyone here has it, but be really careful with their Whiteness of the Whale ink. I've used it for mixing after reading up on it, while disregarding some of the warnings. Folks on places like Fountain Pen Network said it would gum up after being mixed with non-Noodler's inks. I disregarded it, as I wanted to test out mixing it with coloured water-resistant inks from another company (to make pastel inks). A few months later, the test fountain pens I used ended up with the ink mix congealing into a gummy fluid. Had to take apart the pens to fully clean everything out of it. Now that I've experienced that, I'm also cautious about the other shit I've read about some other Noodler's Inks causing this same issue after mixing with even inter-brand inks.

Thank fuck that some water brushes can be modified to use with india inks.
>>
>>2857915
>likes turquoise
>shitting on Phthalo
Brian pls. Most turquoise tubes are just phthalo blue+phthalo green+titanium white. If you waste Cobalt Turquoise as a primary blue you might as well be wiping your ass with dollar bills.
>>
>>2858287
>Arches is not that bad of a paper...

Just curious, what do you recommend that is the best wc paper?
>>
File: Photo-7.jpg (298KB, 1039x1558px) Image search: [Google]
Photo-7.jpg
298KB, 1039x1558px
>>2857508
God Tier
>fountain pens
>waterbrushes
>toned paper

Meme tier
>printer paper
>Prismacolor pencils
>Microns
>ballpoint pens
>Anything made by Rotring
>>
>>2858313
Not my personal favourite right now, but Strathmore 400 series cold press WC paper is pretty nice as far as wood paper goes. If it's all that's available, that would be the one I'd go get though, since I been able to at least use that for several years. Haven't gotten a chance to try some brands of cotton papers aside from Arches, Bee, and Strathmore 500. Definitely haven't gotten to try blends at all either, it's something I wanna check out if I get a chance to stock on art supplies again. Fabriano apparently has their student-grade watercolour paper as a blend (25%), so that could be a starting point.

Honestly, it's all about preference and how you like the feel of something. Unfortunately, it takes a lot longer than hanging out at a store with demo units around to actually do such things. That's the price we pay for art supplies.
>>
>>2858320
I'll try the Strathmore. I honestly really love Arches and haven't had a complaint yet, but I'm always interested in trying out different brands.

I had been avoiding Strathmore because I'd heard several complaints about their quality falling off, but I'll definitely check it out for myself.
>>
>>2858399
If you're used to Arches, consider the Strathmore stuff as more for testing shit out. You aren't going to be able to lift or get away with overworking as much on the 400 series. Also, be aware that they produce different types of watercolour under the 500 series. "Ready Cut" is more for crafters, while the ones sold in whole sheets are usually the ones for artists. I don't know if the difference is so drastic, but the Ready Cut is similar to Bee's lower cost watercolour paper as well. I'm sure those who have much more severe art supply autism than I do could tell the minute differences in better detail. The sub-types for Strathmore 500 series watercolour paper seems a bit important to mention though.
>>
>>2857508
God Tier
- Pentel Pocket Brush Pen
- Pentel Graphgear 1000 (various sizes)
- Pentel ain black erasers (I must seem like a pentel shill by now)
- Huion Giano if tablets count
- TWSBI 580AL, although I also use this for writing daily

Meme:
- Microns, but only because they're expensive. I'd use them all the time if I were made of money.
- Most paper
- Small graphics tablets
- Rotrings, compared to the graphgear, it's not worth the extra money.
>>
>>2857647
>Meme Tier:
>>steel-tip technical pens (Rapidographs)
true, forgot to put it in my list but they are shit, they cost a lot, scratch the paper, need to be holded at 90 degrees, have to put pressure on, and are a hassle to take care of
>>
>>2857662
drawing outside is good but plain daylight is meme tier if you are not outside
>>
>>2858314
>printer paper
>meme tier
you are wrong
their ink mixed with some water is not that bad, but I still got to try other brands, just to see if I can get the same results with ink which I don't have to wait weeks for
>>
>>2857508
god tier
>Pilot V5 Hi-TECPOINT
>Blending Stump
>ruling pen
>Winsor & Newton Pigment Marker

meme tier

>Winsor Newton Series 7 sable brushes for inking
>Blue lead for mechanical pencils
>blue pen
>The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver
>Electric erasers

thoughts?
>>
>>2858571
meme post

>>2858531
>Small graphics tablets
>meme
true
>>
>>2857915
Lol Ultramarine blue is good..
Also linseed oil is fucking great man, do you really paint only with terps? In that case you are missing out on a lot.
Cheap canvasses are usually pretty shit as well.. Same with pre-stretched ones you can buy.. I would honestly only use quality canvas or just squirt some gesso on any surface and paint on.
Also brushes do make a difference.. You can make good paintings with cheap ones, but you really want the nice ones..
>>
>>2857864
What the other anon said, White gouache is pretty good.
>>
Recommendations for a sketchbook i can use markers in? Would like to pick up some tombow markers to try.
>>
>>2858730
Good markers can be used in most papers. They'll inevitably bleed through most of then, so just use them with a spare paper underneat to not bleed further through your sketchbooks.
Some thicker paper will hold most of the bleed, affecting only the other side of the page.
>>
>>2858730
>>2858772
Illustration board.
>>
File: 51TaP2mu7rL._SL1000_.jpg (33KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
51TaP2mu7rL._SL1000_.jpg
33KB, 1000x1000px
I don't know whether a meme or god tier but

Is anyone else here using Rotring mechanical pencils?

I bought the 600 roughly a year ago and thus far it's been bretty good. Always had pencils made out of plastic, so this one is really robust and heavy, it's nice.
>>
File: globophobia.jpg (659KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
globophobia.jpg
659KB, 1024x768px
>>2858805
I've got a lot of drafting pencils and the 600s are really great. I mainly like them because when you want to be loose and hold them at their center of gravity they have a good heft and their shape works well with a tripod grip, but the grip goes down really close to the point for when you want to do details or really press on it. I use Graphgear 1000s when I'm not at my drawing desk. I just love those knurled steel + rubber pad grips. Pic related, but I've got more since I took it.
>>
>>2858805
Meme.

Staedtler 925-25/35 are nicer and cheaper. They're decent pencils, but you're mostly paying for the red ring.
That said, I would buy the shit out of a 600 pencil or fountain pen with the lava body, if one ever came my way.
>>
>>2857582
>>2857571
Also a precise v5 user here, you got a defective pen, I've never got this.
>>
God Tier
>Pentel Art Brush Pen
>Copic Markers
>Posca Bullet Tip Marker
>Pilot Lettering Pen 10
>Sakura Pigma Micron
>Zebra Brush Pen
>Hahnemuhle Sketchbooks
>Seawhite Square Sketchbooks

Meme Tier
>Zig Mangaka Flexible Fine Tip (ink is too weak and purplish?)
>Pentel Pocket Brush Pen (honestly, compared to the Art version, I can't get this one to work for me at all)
>Most Koh-I-Noor equipment
>Daler Rowney Wire Bound Sketchbooks (paper isn't worth the whole thing falling apart)
>>
>>2857508
wait wtf. steadler still makes these?! last time i went to my art store the only blue (and red) lead I found was from prisma
>>
>>2857508

I love Tombow pencils.

>Blending Stump

How the fuck is this "meme tier"?
>>
File: 20170105_131605.jpg (130KB, 455x808px) Image search: [Google]
20170105_131605.jpg
130KB, 455x808px
>>2858314

Im loving the shit out of artpen

Also whats the general hate for microns? I like them
>>
>>2861717
>>2861717

>>Blending Stump
>How the fuck is this "meme tier"?

How the fuck is it NOT meme tier? Paying for an overpriced piece of rolled up cardboard that doesn't even blend as well as using a rolled up tissue
>>
>>2861860
*smudge
>>
>>2858314
>Printer paper
For practicing the very basics it is pretty gud, I am not wasting money nor good paper of shit drawings
>>
>>2861751

because most people don't know that to get the most out of pens like microns or pitts or triliners or what have you, you have to hold the pen straight up and down
>>
>>2861751
>Im loving the shit out of artpen
It works just like any normal fountain pen. For the price you could have a Pilot Metropolitan, or if you like the longer body and want an ultra-fine nib, the Platinum desk pen does that while having a wider feed channel for pigment ink.

>Also whats the general hate for microns?
I'm not a fan of fineliners in general since they work best when held upright, the smaller nibs are fragile, and most of them work poorly when they get low on ink. Microns are probably my least favorite compared to everything else I've tried (Faber-Castell, Staedtler, Uni, Copic, even Rotring). Uni-pins are the cheapest out of those and arguably the best for the money.
>>
>>2862226
THIS pretty much. Besides, there are some "printer papers" that are actually pretty decent quality for markers. Some of those do border on cardstock, but yeah. Neenah, Hammermill, and Accent Opaque are some brands to check out. Some can go up to 120lb, but I know Neenah can get pretty fucky with how they use the paper weight in their products.

>>2862347
>Platinum desk pen
That is so great. The design of the pen is its only weak point, but having a relatively lower cost pen that is refillable with a nice thin line is quite nice.
>>
>>2857525
Underrated post.
>>
>>2857554
>copic markers - I've had mine for 10 years now and they're still juicy and fresh without replacing
How?
I had mine for a month before they dried out
>>
>>2857508
god tier
>#2 pencil
>Crayola colored pencils
>>
So yknow how charcoal dust is a bit of an asshole to brush away and normal drafting brushes just smudge it? Go to Walmart or Target and find a soft boar bristle style brush and use that. Trust me. I was in life drawing one day, was getting annoyed by the dust and eraser shavings so I took the brush out of my bag (femanon who sleeps in and thus brushes hair in the car here..Not with this brush now tho) and gave it a shot and it works. You have to use a light hand but it works.
>>
>>2863934
>femanon here
Yes, lord forbid you go a post without letting everyone know
kys roastie
>>
>>2865844
lord forbid you read a post without getting butthurt over women existing
>>>>/rk9/
>>
Staedtler is shit quality pencils. buy Lyra
>>
>>2858314
>>Anything made by Rotring
Their drafting pens, specially the 600 series, are God tier.

>>2858805
I have the 300 and I really like it.

God Tier
>Caran d'Ache Water Brush
>Copic Multiliner SP Pen
>Pilot Color Eno Neox Mechanical Pencil Lead
>Kuretake Black Manga Ink
>Uni NanoDia Color Lead
>Pentel Ain Stein Lead
>Pentel brush pen
>Holbein gouache

Meme tier

>Other water brush pens
>Pilot Color Eno Mechanical Pencil Lead
>Faber-Castel Pitt Artist Brush Pen
>Canson XL Mixed media or watercolor
>Strathmore 300 series watercolor paper
>POSCA white pen
>>
Prismacolor col-erase is so great for drawing and smudges like a dream.

Fuck graphite.
>>
>>2866945
What's the difference between the Eno Neox lead and the regular ones?
>>
>>2867005
The neox do not smudge like the Eno does, plus the eno only have 6 leads while the Neox have 10.
>>
>>2857517
>Meme tier (deserves maymay arrows)
>>Moleskin sketchbooks

you triggered me
*sips on basic bitch lates*
>>
>>2866192
>WAAAAH WHY IS THE ONLY ATTENTION I'M GETTING FROM SOMEONE WHO SEES THROUGH MY VAGINA SIGNALLING *CUT CUT CUT*
Lesson learned I hope~
>>
>>2858730
Rendr, they're pretty expensive so wait for a blick coupon or something.
>>
>>2866831

My man of African ancestry.
>>
>>2867027
Wasn't even the femanon responding. Was pointing out how you sound just as bad if not worse
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.