[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I the only one that thinks the concepts of "ocs"

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 10

Am I the only one that thinks the concepts of "ocs" is fucking autistic... It's like PLZ DONUT STEAL MY IMAGINARY FRIENDS!!!! I feel like most people with them don't have a comic/animation or much of a story behind them besides possibly autistic daydreams in their head and roleplaying to make up for their lack of actual friends or romantic interests. Depicting them of perfect people they wish they were or they wish loved them its so fucking cringy when people with no life outside of deviant art their drawing go on and on about their ocs
>>
deviant art tier drawings* not their
>>
you honestly just sound like a really boring person with no original thought or fantasy
sure pic related is fucking cringy, but in this situation YOU are the weird one, not the other way around

nigger
>>
What's wrong with some imagination, anon?

Who cares about what dA or Tumblr does with their OCs. They're having fun, even if it's "autistic". Why does it bother you?
>>
File: 1486091779032.jpg (42KB, 460x500px) Image search: [Google]
1486091779032.jpg
42KB, 460x500px
>Am I the only that thinks-

No. You never are.
>>
>>2850823
>Projecting: the post
Designing characters is creative and while some do it for a hobby, people do make livings designing characters.
>>
>>2850844
seconding this lmao just because a lot of artists arent like you, a 4chan d/ic/khead doesnt make it bad, even if the tumblerinas are usually retarded their work usually has more honesty and love put into it
>>
>>2850823
Ones all the cunts who partake in this autism reply defending their bullshit it'll be very easy for the mods to ban them and considerably clean up the board.

...or at least, it would be if we had mods
>>
>>2850823
On the one hand I see your opinion OP but when I was in middle school and high school, before I found I wanted to do animation (specifically character, prop, and environment design as well as storyboards) I drew OCs like crazy. It was actually a good thing. Not only do I have a SHIT. TON. of designs to go through from years of posting them online as a kid, but with the skills I have now i can leave off stupid parts and add good parts where they're needed.

As for the actual ocs themselves, in my experience half the time it was a vague idea with a character attached to it and the other half i'd like it so I'd develop it into a story (Usually just a roleplay since I was 12-18 at the time and all).

Either way OCs are mostly harmless as long as the person drawing them doesn't have that toxic attitude where if a singe little detail matches, you've stolen it, or anything like that (Zeriara was my favourite for this back in the day since she'd cry this out anytime someone else made a lemur, but she'd full out steal characters from other people).

OCs make the best drama in the art world imo.
>>
>>2850859
I agree with this. I compared old drawings from when I was a kid making ocs to my current work awhile ago and while the skill level was way lower the creativity was there.

I pity artists who don't have that childhood creativity to pull ideas from. Even when I have no clue what to draw or make i can look at ancient art of mine and find something I can tighten up or make better just by redrawing it now.
>>
>>2850945
Zeriara was a lolcow among lolcows I wish she was still around
>>
At least they draw and not shitpost.
>>
>>2850823

>Am I the only one that thinks the concepts of "ocs" is fucking autistic

Yes. The only one. This is why no one likes you.
>>
Every character was an "oc" at some point anon
>>
>>2850823

Character designers are making a living concepting oc's. get a life anon. How do you think it starts ?

If you want to be a successful artist you have to accept the cringy side of art. Use your fucking imagination and have fun for fucking sake.
>>
File: laweence.jpg (74KB, 500x648px) Image search: [Google]
laweence.jpg
74KB, 500x648px
>>2850823
you're the real autist here. having imagination is essential if you want to have a respectable art career. being an artist involves more than muh loomis. the drawing you posted might be cringey but i'd wager that they're 1000x better than you are right now because they actually spend time trying to come up with shit to draw instead of browsing tumblr looking for tweens to make fun of.

now go fuck off and make thread no.34223499842394492459 about how sad you are that you can't draw after years of shitposting and collecting 9000 PDFs from the book thread
>>
>>2850823
>>2850912
ITT: Unoriginal faggots with no imagination complaining about First World Problems (c).

Why is every thread on this board absolute hot garbage?
>>
File: 1466107673129.jpg (33KB, 480x454px) Image search: [Google]
1466107673129.jpg
33KB, 480x454px
Any help in getting over that feeling?

After being in freelance for a while I realized that I'm like a whore who can only follow orders and draw what others tell me to draw.

I want to write my own stories and characters but it makes me feel cringy and autistic, despise being something ridiculously common for most artists and for all writers.
>>
I really don't care. I don't care about "autismal as fuck le cringe" sonic fan art either. seriously let everyone do their own thing.
>>
>>2850823
>and roleplaying to make up for their lack of actual friends or romantic interests
guess what, I do roleplay with my friends and partner
not everything about ocs and not every artist who draws them is autistic
>>
its a good concept for artists like us to get money from them.

So i see no harm we get money, they get the artwork. everyone is happy.
>>
>>2853367
You aren't wrong, but its not actually autism. It's just normie behavior. 90% of a normies personality and interests are visible from their physical appearance, so having characters with clear style is very important for them.
>>
>>2850823
Think that's autistic? Look into the concept of "adoptables".
>>
I actually insert my bf and myself into my characters to practice interaction and panels, cringe but fun.
>>
>>2850823
I don't find the concept autistic but most OC communities tend to be pretty autistic desu.
>>
>>2850823
Oh look, another one is not gonna make it!
>>
File: 1368003690640.png (51KB, 160x170px) Image search: [Google]
1368003690640.png
51KB, 160x170px
>>2850837
>>2850844
>>2850856
>>2854232
>>2854676
>you honestly just sound like a really boring person with no original thought or fantasy

there's nothing "original" about most OCs. especially on the nsfw side of the internet.

>cute curvy girl/fag that's always nervous with sweat drops coming off them. bonus points if it's a montergirl/furry
>big bara fag that gets angry at everything for "comedy" but has a sweet side
>wimpy nerd guy with huge penis and makes lazy puns
>stoic anime girls with morbid sense of humor, occasionally blush
>faggot trap who loves a good dicking and always tells sex jokes
>gay couple who try to one up each other in sex acts

over and over and over again

but of course /ic/ would defend this shit. this board has became /tumblr/ and has art that's just as awful.
>>
File: Dude.jpg (38KB, 620x784px) Image search: [Google]
Dude.jpg
38KB, 620x784px
>>2853265
>Every character was an "oc" at some point anon
Woah, that's deep.
>>
One of the main characters in the comic I'm writing began as a self insert but I stopped using him as that when I put him in the comic. I just liked the design.

Stand alone OCs is as retarded as you say though. Theure basically like mascots for people no one gives a shit about.
Fuck even when they're moderately popular it's cancerous. I know this one bitch who tries to sell coffee cups and stickers of her gay self insert and her faggy boyfriend drawn in knock off Zoophobia style.
Who the shit wants to pay for that?
>>
>this thread

Why does that one edgy Yu-Gi-Oh fanartist keep coming to mind, the one who literally made a female Marik copy with brown hair, shipped it with him and makes an entertainingly huge amount of drama about it every time someone doesn't lick her ass?
>>
>>2854738
>makes an entertainingly huge amount of drama about it every time someone doesn't lick her ass?
That's most internet artists, anon.
>>
>>2854694
I'm sorry there's no market for 1:1 copies of Loomis books.
Should have been less autistic and developed creativity and stylization like all the people who have left this shithole told us to.
>>
>>2850823
I have trouble coming up with characters that I'd like to just boot around.

They tend to be done for one specific project and then I just want them dead.
>>
>>2850912
>>2854694
yeah /ic/ should take a stand against being a /co/ garbage dump >>2850823 congrats op you took a W today for proving that you can easily the distinguish tumblr faggots who use 4chan to steal memes and overall just look hipper to other tumblr faggots just by reading how they type and not even needing to see their work and trigger the fuck out of them
>>2850945
thanks for your honesty yet I disagree that "OCs are mostly harmless if..". A formalism that is based on improper, awkward and mawkish communication from unhealthy people hurts our culture because it creates anxiety and confusion in people like >>2853853 , >>2854734 , >>2855466 and even yourself to what even is an "illustrated story" and to things like "what is even character".
>>
>>2855532
You're posing so hard i almost used you as a drawing reference.

Please stop embarrassing yourself by trying so hard to fit in.
>>
>>2855549
youre actually trying so hard. faggot
>>
File: 1481234089524.png (357KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1481234089524.png
357KB, 512x384px
>>2855549
hehe
drawing puns
>>
>>2855555
>>2854707
samefag
>>
>>2855550
>>2855559
I'm pretty sure it's you whose samefagging, though.

>>2855532
>>2854694
>Everyone I Don't Like is Tumblr, the Guide to Being a Pretentious Artist.

>Oh look, it's a "People Defending Their Shitty Bait Thread by Samefagging" thread.
>>
>>2854472
I like your way of thinking.
>>
>>2854694
Those OC descriptions....LOL fucking spot on.

That shit mainly comes from tumblr-tier artists trying to be "subversive" and not cliche, but because the worldview they have is built mainly on themselves, stereotypes/generalizations, and anime tropes, it all comes off as them trying to make a statement about how progressive they are rather than actually just being creative.

There's not really anything wrong with that, though. It just helps me figure out what I DON'T want to do.

>>2850823
OP is onto something
The "OCs" thing seems autistic because character design rarely works without having a story already in mind, and a lot of them are devoid of any personality or character because they were drawn to look cool/interesting, not to fit into a story. And again, without real life experience, or a knack for writing, or any idea what makes characters actually compelling, the OCs will be shallow at best and annoying at worst.
>>
>>2856240
>I have no argument but i'm so triggered because someone is making fun of my imaginary friends
You can't even fucking read and summarize a paragraph properly
>>
>>2855445
>I'm sorry there's no market for 1:1 copies of Loomis books.

That's quite the lame strawman you came up with. Methinks I touched a nerve.
>>
>>2856419
I think he was the one who struck a nerve in you. Nobody will pay you for loomis studies.
>>
>>2855445
i'm new here, what's a loomis?
>>
>>2856528
art god, giver of art gains
>>
>Am I the only one that thinks the concepts of "ocs" is fucking autistic... It's like PLZ DONUT STEAL MY IMAGINARY FRIENDS!!!! I feel like most people with them don't have a comic/animation or much of a story behind them besides possibly autistic daydreams in their head and roleplaying to make up for their lack of actual friends or romantic interests. Depicting them of perfect people they wish they were or they wish loved them its so fucking cringy when people with no life outside of deviant art their drawing go on and on about their ocs
>>
>>2856602
>comparing a commissioned portrait to retarded OCs

You on the spectrum?
>>
>>2856636
It's just what some people like to do, as long as they don't post here why do you care? what does this have to do with art?

I could understand if you said they were shittiest artist but you're just stating you hate ocs.
>>
>>2856705
>It's just what some people like to do
Some people also like to fuck kids up their buttholes.

>as long as they don't post here why do you care?
You fags do post here, it's why you're getting triggered at this thread.

>you're just stating you hate ocs.
With good reason, look at this anon's post >>2854694
>>
File: 1315168850963.png (51KB, 271x346px) Image search: [Google]
1315168850963.png
51KB, 271x346px
"OC" has certain baggage that corresponds to the sort of autist you describe.

That said, I don't think artists having characters they've made up and like to draw is autistic. This is, at the end of the day, an "original character".
>>
>>2854694
>there's nothing "original" about most OCs.

If you come up with an actually "unique" OC it's probably fucking garbage. The faggots that desperately claw for something that's as unique as possible usually end up doing shit in the OP with "lmao she has roses on her boots isnt that QUIRKY!"

Good characters/designs/etc are usually have strong foundation in something else, and just makes a few changes. Shitty designs just pull random shit out their ass in the desperate (and still usually vain) hope that nobody's done it before.
>>
>>2856528
A guy who wanted to be an illustrator but was contemporary to Rockwell in his youth, and Frazetta in his old age. So unable to compete all he could do was write educational books that didn't even get reprinted for as long as Bridgman.
>>
>>2856796
But Loomis was an accomplished illustrator. He wasn't a Rockwell, Leyndrecker, Cornwell or Frazetta but most people around that time were not. And without his books most of the techniques those artists used would have been lost (Frazetta even studied from some Loomis books when you look at his sketchbook pages online).

What I'm saying is that Loomis has more merit than a weeb NEET (you).
>>
>>2850823
I actually relate to you, OP. I could never make up OCs of my own. Whenever I draw characters they have to be fan art, or characters I made in video games that are tied to stuff from the game. Like "grounded in some sort of reality," kind of. And I'm shit at storytelling and making up that kind of thing myself. It always feels fake, like I'm just making up some bullshit.

Me:
>Ok, let's make an OC
>Hmm. I want her to be a girl. She should be cute. Let's give her orange hair? Maybe make her wearing a nice summer dress.
>What does she do? Idk. Let's make her an aspiring theater girl. Who happens to be a huge fan of Queen. (Just making up some literal bullshit to give her some "attributes.")
>Need a name. How about Jilly?
>Etc.

Days/weeks later:
>Oh ew
>This is super cringe and fake and forced and awkward. I give zero shits about this made up character who (to me) feels like she doesn't even exist
>Never draw again

That's basically as far as I get.
>>
>>2856407
>I'm so asshurt that I need to tell people that they are triggered to hide it.

>>2859976
Every fictional character was an OC at one point, though

>>2856752
>triggered

>>>/pol/

Stop with the shitty fanart defense/circlejerk thread. You people sound like the "autists" you hate so much. It's pathetic.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.