[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys I think I know the secret to drawing like Kim Jung Gi.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

Guys I think I know the secret to drawing like Kim Jung Gi.

It's very simple but at the same time hard as fuck. All you have to do is visualize the whole drawing or at least a significant portion before you draw it, and I mean visualize everything, hands, faces, gesture, design, even solving all the problems that may come up when drawing it but in your mind, and only then can you start drawing.

Listen to this: https://youtu.be/Ed1xRPjSw2I?t=4912

Opinions?
>>
>>2848034
ive solved how you tiger woods got so good at golf! Only shoot the good shots!

are you downs syndrome kohai?
>>
>>2848034

Hey guys I figured out how to box like Floyd Mayweather.

It's very simple but at the same time hard as fuck. All you have to do is visualize Every punch that will be thrown or at least a significant portion before your opponent throws them, and I mean visualize everything, hands movement, head movement, foot work, feints, even solving all the problems that may come up when a punch is thrown but in your mind, and only then can you start boxing.

Thoughts?
>>
>>2848045
You need to have the manletmeme first, though
>>
>>2848041
That's not what he meant.
Also, not gonna make it
>>
File: squish_by_medders-daxrx9t.jpg (2MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
squish_by_medders-daxrx9t.jpg
2MB, 2000x3000px
>>2848045
>>2848038

I knew I was going to get these kind of replies, but it's true, I'm above average when it comes to drawing skill on this board, and the more I draw the more I realize that spending time thinking before you actually draw makes it way easier
>>
>>2848073
>above average

That's some pretty big talk for someone that's only better than 49.8% of /ic/.
>>
>>2848073
:o
>>
>>2848077
He's approximately better than 71.3% of /ic/
>>
>>2848083
>>2848077
>calculations this far off

do you think you're too high and mighty for The Formula? he's only better than 66.82225% of /ic/
>>
>>2848084
Those are some nice sketches, but I see no reason to believe OP is that guy. I mean, if he was, why would he post sketches he posted on his deviantart, saved from his deviantart and not post sketches he hadn't posted online?
>>
>>2848086
You did it the wrong way around, you idiot, he's worse than 66.82225% of /ic/
>>
File: ligameme.jpg (44KB, 672x419px) Image search: [Google]
ligameme.jpg
44KB, 672x419px
Need this as well
>>
shit thread with shit memes you're all retarded
>>
>>2848085
Go suck a big one faggot
How does it feel like being worse than kodyboi
>>
>>2848045
This is gold
>>
>>2848034
You wrote this in the memiest fucking way possible but I think I get it. I find that when I relax and just try and visualise the forms I can haphazardly sketch and it'll look better than it would if I stress out over my line quality and getting things just right.
>>
>Guys I really had to think about it a long time to figure this out, but hear me out
>If you actually THINK about what you draw before you draw it it'll come out better
>It's so simple yet hard this is a real epiphany guys, also I figured out the other day that water is wet and I have a couple theories about the color of the sky
Honest question, are you on the fucking spectrum
>>
>>2848073
>the more I draw the more I realize that spending time thinking before you actually draw makes it way easier
Dear god.
I never even considered thinking before drawing.
Thanks OP.
10/10 advice would make it again
>>
>>2848167
Not him, and it does sound very obvious, but you'd be surprised how few people actually do this. Especially the artists who grew up in this "speedpaint" era where everyone is always showing off how quickly they can come up with stuff on the spot without planning anything beforehand.
>>
>>2848160
This.

OP are you the one that just has a sketchbook full of anime faces and torsos?
>>
>>2848083
>>2848077
>>2848086
>>2848102

It's literally pro level are you guys blind or can you just not read the drawing?
>>
>>2848176
Check your privilege.
I have drawing dyslexia so I can't read drawings very well.
>>
>>2848178
>drawing dyslexia

There you go, go make your convoluted post now and carve this meme into the board.
>>
>>2848179
I know it's at pro level, but there's many pro artists on /ic/ like you and malaysia and it affects my calculations, panie kolego.
>>
>>2848034
I get what you're saying but i feel like there's more to it than that.

1.) You must observe your reality with an increased ability of concentration and understanding (Lighting, form, anatomy). Constant study of what ever it is your artistic goals are.
2.) You must be able to hold the visualization in your minds eye till you finish the piece. As well as manipulate it to fit your needs and goal.
3.) You must be able to output the visualization onto whatever medium you're using. Practicing that medium, pens, pencil, digital canvas, etc.

"Almost 80% of drawing is already in my mind"
"When I was younger, I had a lot of inspiration from visual image"
"But nowadays, with advancing years, I am more inspired by daily scenes"

Kim Jung Gi is able to do the above, and either was born with those abilities or has trained them its difficult to know without having his entire life biography before your eyes.

I feel like he is almost doing a meditative concentration practice. For instance a monk can concentrate on their breath, body, and focus on having no thoughts at all. Where as Kim Jung Gi is concentrating on a single image for an extended period of time. Most people would have this problem off the bat, either because we are never taught these practices or its just not in our nature.
>>
You still have to study op.
>>
>>2848034
I feel there are a lot of 'little' things that don't get covered or are glossed over in most teachings. This is probably one of them. While it seems obvious, someone who has no traditional art schooling or simply disregarded the lone sentence in the drawing book that mentioned this would probably not take the time to think/visualize/plan before drawing. Just because something is obvious to most people, doesn't mean it's obvious to everyone.

I always try to find things like this when it comes to improving art. There's been a few times, and I'm sure most of you have experienced this in your studies, where you discover something for yourself and have a 'eureka' moment. This is one of those things too. It's different for everybody.
Even if you feel like what OP is saying is obvious, it probably wasn't to him. This was a something he discovered later than he should of and probably improved his art quite a bit, or at least made drawing more enjoyable, less stressful.

That being said, it probably seems like nothing to most of you, but you can still benefit from this post, because this type of discovery is what you all should be searching for in your studies. Maybe reread your books and notes, take some more time on your next reference study, or just focus on the little things you've just glossed over before. I'm sure, especially if you are learning on your own and have nobody to point it out to you, that there are things you aren't doing properly/enough.
Don't focus on the exact thing OP discovered, focus on the discovery itself.
>>
>>2848073
>spending time thinking before you actually draw makes it way easier
you must be some kind of genius.
all my fucking sides.
>>
But what if I suck at visualizing?
>>
>>2848997
then you should keep being a hobbyist and not pursue drawing as something more.
>>
>>2848997
>>2849065
Or practice visualizing
>>
>>2849090
How do you practice visualizing?
>>
>>2848073
>I knew I was going to get these kind of replies, but it's true
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2CRtES2K3E
>>
>>2848034
>>2848746
>>2849093

1.) Sit down at the computer, tablet, magazine, or favorite spot.
2.) Load up your favorite image, turn to a page, or go to your favorite spot.
3.) Stare at your image or thing you are interested in for about a minute. Try to gather as many detail in your mind as you can in that minute: shadows, forms, colors, and anything your eyes can identify even the spaces around your thing.
4.) close your eyes for same amount of time you stared at said object (you can use a phone alarm to tell you when your minute(s) is up or those web page alarms) and try to remember and visualize what you had just seen. (the goal would be to not only recall the image but keep it visualized for a longer period of time as well)

5.) Do steps 3&4 over and over every day while increasing the times of staring and visualization for an hour everyday.

example:
5 sets of 1min for image 5min
5 sets of 5min for image 25min
3 sets of 10min for image 30min
1hr total
or
you can start small and work your way up to an hour its up to you how intense your regiment will be.
day 1
5 sets of 1min for total of 5min
day 2
5 sets of 2min for a total of 10min

You will get bored and will probably want to quit. Don't, this is what happens when people try to meditate as well, since they are no longer focusing on their own thoughts but quieting the mind your mind will try to interrupt what you are doing with a flood of thoughts almost every time. Try to ignore them and visual what it is you where staring out a few minutes ago.
>>
>>2849203
Did you do this and it was beneficial to you?
And what about drawing? I did a croquis cafe session where i used the time on the clock for memorizing instead of drawing, then closed the window and drew from memory. I forgot a lot and the results were mostly terrible, but yeah, I guess it's an exercise one could do.
>>
>>2848160
>and I have a couple theories about the color of the sky
Holy fuck that got me
>>
>>2849228
Yes I use this method on a regular basis as well as some others.
Yes it is beneficial, it has increased total memory recall as well. For instance recalling object placement and number of items such as in my pantry or objects along my path of driving.

I remember it being very difficult at first, I can't recall when the benefits started to appear because the time between when I started and benefits appearing is spread out between on/off practicing.
Until recently December of last year is when I started doing it everyday.
However the benefits did appeared sometime last year.
I would not be surprised if the benefits appeared in a week or two of doing this for 1-2 hours a day.
For the reason is its similar to the visual recall that those memory recall competitions people do. Likewise It may be faster to make a story about what you're trying to visual recreate/recall/memorize.
For instance if you see a picture of a soldier in a Time magazine. Create a story around that person fighting in combat and memorize each detail and what objects they have on them while they are acting out your story. Humans remember directions and routes easily to you could visualize them walking on a path that you yourself take as well while trying to recall their image.

As far as images go I mostly memorize things to help me in art, such as fashion, and beautiful faces. I have a schedule I'm creating to open up to more genres.
>>
>>2849228
Oh I forgot to mention drawing.
Yes I digitally paint just about everyday.
I rarely sketch in a sketch book now a days as I am digitally painting and working on set projects.
I would say after doing this everyday since December my skills have greatly increased in a short amount of time.

HOWEVER I never used to draw everyday till that day in December last year. It could be a combination of me just busting my ass everyday till that day. I myself feel like it has helped me improved as I use those memories and stored visuals as insight on what I am working on, such as lighting, shadow, form, and etc.
>>
>>2848083
>>2848085
both of you are retarded he posted a pro artist sketch.

http://medders.deviantart.com/art/Squish-661391921
>>
>>2848073

See drawabox/Dynamic Sketching lesson 1
>>
>>2848034
>Listen to this: https://youtu.be/Ed1xRPjSw2I?t=4912 [Embed]

Dude that's 2 hours long, what the fuck is it about? Why should I listen to it? I'm willing to, but only if it's something I actually want to listen to.
>>
>>2848073
No. Fucking. Shit.
>>
>>2849627

I linked to a specific time
>>
Literally everyone who draws from imagination at a pro level (i.e. comic book artists, animators etc) does this. Also don't forget that drawing figures from imagination involves acting skills. You should feel the action of the pose in your body before you put the pencil to the paper, and constantly people watch and observe body language and social interactions.
>>
>>2848034
There's nothing new in that video.

Its basically about being so good at thumbnailing you do it in your head. You can still do it on paper as a novice and its a great piece of advice, but has nothing with the way Kim draws.

Speaking of Kim Jung Gi's secret, I wonder, how much people here would be willing to pay for a course that taught his "secret"?
>>
>>2849921
I can tell you with 100% confidence that no one here would pay for a course.
>>
>>2849925
And yet with all the torrents out there and pirated book threads 99% of /ic/ still sucks at drawing.
>>
>>2849965

Yeah, but the question was "Will they pay for a course?" and your response was "/ic/ steals content".

So, no. They wouldn't pay for a course.
>>
1.Visualize the environment box - whole perspective
2. Visualize the boxes wihin that box - objects/people perspective
3. Visualize the basic forms within those boxes
4. Invent light and shadow
5. Invent folds and clothing
6. Project mental image onto paper
7. Draw contour and details according to the perspective you imagined
8. Draw a lot until steps 1-6 are so engrained into your brain and muscle memory so that you can pull this shit off as performance art

there is nothing surprising about working out your construction in your mind without drawing construction lines, you just did not train that skill enough
>>
>>2849761
I see that now, I feel kind of dumb. I opened it in embedded mode at first and it started from the beginning so I didn't even check.
>>
Kim Jung Gi says that himself in his class
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_nXcfEwor0

Speaking about this, I wonder how many of us are sick with called complexophilia

>Many smart people are raging complexophiles. They look for complexity, and when the correct answers are too simple, they invent more complicated versions of them.

>Running a marathon is simple. You put one foot after the other and repeat for 26 miles. But that doesn’t mean running one is easy.

https://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/2010/04/21/complexophilia/
>>
>>2849627
just listen to it while doing today's painting, 2 hours is nothing
protip, a lot of artists speak slowly and haltingly, so use youtube's 1.5 speed to make art podcasts sound less autistic
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.