[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it risky using your real name for street art to showcase your

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: stickers.jpg (143KB, 772x683px) Image search: [Google]
stickers.jpg
143KB, 772x683px
Is it risky using your real name for street art to showcase your art? I mean just vinyl stickers and tags. Do you do it?
>>
It isn't if your canvas is a legal one,obviously.

If you're going to do some graff on a train, it'd be the same thing as writing "hello cops, I'm the author of this & here's my address"...
>>
No. No one uses their actual name, are you an idiot? Do you just want to put your rehashed character / name up everywhere just so people know it's the actual John Smith.

Bring something fresh to the table or don't bother at all. Ego is the worst motivation to do anything creative; you'll quit as soon as it gets tough and no one cares about what you're doing.

Pick any name that isn't taken (after doing a reasonable enough search) and then spend more time worrying about your ideas. If they're good, your alias takes on a worthwhile identity. 'Nike' or 'Apple' aren't successful because they picked those names, it's because of their product.
>>
>>2849351

>Ego is the worst motivation to do anything creative

Creating a persona doesn't magically make it not an ego thing. If you make up a new name and attach it to everything you do artistically it's still a fucking ego thing.

Using your real name instead of a made up persona is far from the definitive factor for if you're doing it out of ego.
>>
Stickers and tags are primarily TO just put your name up everywhere with the least form of creativity. The fact they want their real name attached to it doesn't help their position.

The subject of ego aside, like the first reply says, using your real name for things that the law classifies as vandalism isn't a good idea full stop.
>>
>>2849351

A lot of street artists sign with their real name? Maybe more so after recognition.
>>
>>2849582
You'd be surprised how many street artists only paint legal / commissioned walls once they've established themselves.
>>
>>2849582

Sounds like the proper thing to do, but how do they get "discovered" without exposing themselves anyways. At least nowadays with social media if your works are getting documented they'll get tied to you anyways.
>>
>>2849351
>your own name less humble than a fake name and rep
>>
>>2851314
The point was:
- real name isn't going to help when you're technically breaking the law
- pick any name
- then focus on the work

The fact they just wanted to make stickers and tags, rather than posters, pieces, stencils, etc makes them no better than paid public advertising, which graffiti and street art (at least, in origin) runs counter to.

It just read like they were interested in self promotion and if they couldn't use their real name that's already tied to their existing body of work, they weren't fussed. Street art is an incredible artform when done right but putting your name up everywhere, real or fake, is boring as shit.
>>
Even stickers and shit can be illegal and get you in trouble, so use an alias.
Can be more memorable than your real name too.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.