[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I just suck? I've been drawing all my life, with art

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: 1486269583093(1).png (148KB, 674x953px) Image search: [Google]
1486269583093(1).png
148KB, 674x953px
Do I just suck?
I've been drawing all my life, with art study basically just limited to online tutorial videos. But I see people younger than me making better drawings with better styles. Attached pic is a five-minute sketch, but it just looks bad compared to other sketches you could find anywhere. Answer me honestly: Should I give up?
>>
>>2846271
>Do I suck
Yes
>Should I give up
That's up to you.
>>
>>2846272
I guess the question was less "should I give up" and more "can I still improve?"
>>
>>2846277
Everyone can improve. Stop trying to find excuses for not wanting to draw. If you're this much of a crybaby then drawing isn't for you.
>>
A. Stop drawing stylised shit its a crutch
B. Go outside and draw objects, plants, trees, cars, boxes, apples, bananas, whatever the fuck you want just avoid humans for a while until you understand basic objects
C. Stop comparing yourself so harshly to others. If you want to draw, draw. See better artists as something you can achieve with hard work and perservence. No one is born a master.
D. Draw from life, not from photographs. Your understanding of 3d forms should not be from 2d photographs.

There is probably more .. Feel free to ask
>>
>>2846281
How is drawing stylized a "crutch?"
>>
>>2846281
Stop drawing what you love drawing, instead draw boring shit that you don't give a fuck about which would probably lead you to stop drawing. Fantastic advice. You're brilliant.
>>
>>2846287
people tend to try and polish their stylish turds as a means to avoid drawing from life which is boring to them.

>>2846271
look at that fucking hand man. look at it and say "wow, I suck at drawing hands!" then go draw 100 fucking hands of all shape and sizes FROM REAL HUMAN BEINGS

REPEAT THIS FOR LITERALLY ANY PART YOU WISH TO IMPROVE
>>
>>2846287
It's common for people to use stylization to compensate for their lack of fundamentals/skills. In time, it becomes a crutch that prevents you from learning anything
>>
>>2846300
That kinda makes sense.
So like, I know ideal proportions is eight heads and all that, but characters in my style tend to be 5 1/2 heads tall. Is that bad, or can I just call that stylization?
>>
>>2846300
What happens when you stop doing stylized/imagination/personal stuff is that you end up like proko drawing fucked up kangaroos.

You do both. It's really irksome whenever I hear a self pretentious retard telling someone to stop drawing in a certain style.
>>
>>2846304
5 heads 4 heads 3 heads, 10 heads ,are all perfectly fine. The important part is the relationships which you clearly don't understand. Studying realistic drawings along with your stylized stuff and learn proper proportions and then practice exaggerating it.
>>
>>2846271
>I've been drawing all my life
No, you haven't, you dumb faggot.

Structureless drawing that every child does is not "drawing" in context of art.

>hurr durr I've been singing all my life how come I can't sing?
>>
File: 1486275875680(1).png (149KB, 673x952px) Image search: [Google]
1486275875680(1).png
149KB, 673x952px
Thanks for the tips, anons. I tried another sketch, is this one any better?
>>
>>2846360

I feel like you are having a bit of a grasp of it. Like the other anons said, most likely the cure is to go out and draw a fuckton from life. Try to translate what you see in a real, three dimensional space on to paper.
>>
LOOMIS
O
O
M
I
S
>>
>>2846291
this is the best advice any aspiring artist can get. if you aren't strong enough to overcome this mental hurdle, then drawing isn't for you. that's all there is to it, yeah.
drawing what you like doesn't make you improve, it's getting out of your comfort zone that really makes you improve.
yeah, you are dumb for not understanding this, anon.
>>
>ctrl-f "sticky"
>no matches
Come on /ic/
>>
>>2846271
>Do I just suck?
Yes, you didn't read the sticky so you don't know how to construct or improve for that matter. Go read it and think for yourself, don't make dumbass questions.
>>
>>2846294

Yes, Proko... That's exactly how you improve...
>>
>>2846271

You are "guessing" where to put those lines. You do it on all of your drawings. It's why you aren't improving.

You know that you need to construct the figure, it's evident from your construction lines...

You need to stop guessing and actually construct. Set scale and perspective, measure, place the lines with precision... use vanishing points, boxes, contours... and later you will gain the ability to "guess" where the lines go.
>>
>>2846800

Copying things from real life will get you no-fucking-where...

Constructing things from real life will teach you how to visualize perspective and scale. Proper measured construction will be your crutch until you can visualize
>>
>>2846804

Look at how many places you guessed where to put the bottom of the rib cage... Just look.

Then go buy a clear plastic ruler and a compass and stop fucking dojng that.
>>
>>2846804
but isn't that what your pretty much doing?
figuring out where shit is?

i don't know where the ribcage starts and ends, so i just use pics to figure that shit out, but when i draw it it still looks wrong.
>>
>>2846291
That's not what he's saying.

He's advocating the fact that understanding basic shapes will feed into your skills in other areas. If you don't understand shapes, the way you construct pieces and and create space will suffer. He's saying to take a break and practice the basics so that drawing the stuff you love won't suck.
>>
>>2847298

Read carefully. Yes, that is what you're doing... Figuring out where shit is.

Here's the thing though...

You can't just stab at it and hope to make improvement.

You have to put the

>Right lines

In the

>Right place

and do it

>Consistently

to make any actual improvement.

Stop guessing where the lines go.. Use as many construction lines and measurements as you need to put the lines in the right place. Then put them there. Then look at them.

Your mind will begin to see the construction lines without drawing them, and you can stop guessing.
>>
OP here.
Attached pic is the best thing I've drawn in a while, although it is a bit old. Just wondering, are the same problems present in this one? What can I improve?
>>
>>2847533
Read the fucking sticky dude
>>
>>2847533
>What can I improve?
Go reread the whole thread.
You have what you need, now go do it.
>>
File: IMG_5011.jpg (2MB, 2302x2944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5011.jpg
2MB, 2302x2944px
>>2846271
stop drawing bullshit and make art ya dip
>>
File: 1486440544746(1).png (89KB, 706x998px) Image search: [Google]
1486440544746(1).png
89KB, 706x998px
>>2847781
>>2847582

OP here again.
I've been reading some Loomis (Figure Drawing For All It's Worth and Fun With A Pencil) and I think my proportions have improved. I know at least where the bottom of the ribcage, the knees, and the wrists go now. But I'm having some trouble with body guidelines. How do I know how to space them?
>>
File: IMG_7626.jpg (4MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7626.jpg
4MB, 3024x4032px
>>2849345
fuck loomis. fuck guidelines. be less autistic. its all schlock
>>
>>2849345
Nope, your proportions are shit.

Seriously, stop trying to draw stylized stuff for a little while. You can't break the rules until you have a basic understanding of them.

Read the sticky, draw from life, and Jesus Christ, try drawing some REAL human beings.
>>
>>2846271
how old, 12?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.