[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So i wasn't sure if i should make a new thread or what but

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: tommy.jpg (199KB, 487x730px) Image search: [Google]
tommy.jpg
199KB, 487x730px
So i wasn't sure if i should make a new thread or what but fuck it.

Im taking an oil painting class and my teacher will usually have us cover the canvas in a thin coat of linseed oil before we start. I haven't had any problems with this method so far. But i notice in tutorials online they tell you to mix your medium/linseed oil into the paint before it hits the canvas. Are both methods correct? If i wanted to could i do the "cover the canvas" method with another medium of choice like liquin??
>pic related, teachers self portrait
Also im kinda confused because i see some people use oil to thin the pain and i see others use turpenoids? Whats the deal with that?
>>
Anon, just listen to your teacher. you can experiment later, or better yet, ask your fucking teacher. there's a billion different ways to use oils.
>>
That's one angsty self-portrait. Holy fuck.
>>
>>2844745
i was planning to ask him next week, had the thought earlier today while looking up tutorials for out of class practice. And the ADD side of me just wanted answers right away.
>>
File: eyeball-inspection1.jpg (544KB, 774x1161px) Image search: [Google]
eyeball-inspection1.jpg
544KB, 774x1161px
>>2844753
i dont think its so much angst as it is he just enjoys painting stuff like this for fun.
>>
If the point is to get the paint to move more easily why not just use an oil primer, or a thin stain of actual paint rather than just oil?
>>
>>2844722
hmm appears we may live in the same town. Does he teach at the Visual Arts Center? Been thinking of attending the open figure drawing sessions. If they still have them.
>>
File: two-women1.jpg (444KB, 774x571px) Image search: [Google]
two-women1.jpg
444KB, 774x571px
>>2844770
yeah its at visual arts, the open figure drawings are on fridays (i forget which time)
I'd check em out its like 7 bucks for entrance and its bring ur own supplies.
>>
>>2844755
Does he have office hours? Ask him there, most instructors in any setting don't like it when you bother them after lecture/class.
>>
I'm still very much a beginner with oils as well but the rule is fat over lean... if you cover your canvas with fat as a first layer, there is no way to paint over it with a "lean" layer of paint diluted with turp or mineral spirits and for initial stains/ lay ins. You want your initial layers thinned with turps, and consecutive layers fatter (=more linseed oil added). You can also use a medium of part turp, part linseed oil. Since oil doesn't dry by air exposure but rather by chemical connection, if you don't adhere to the fat over lean principle your layers will start to crack as they dry... Seems like a waste of effort. So I'm just as puzzled by this conduct as you are, OP. Now that I look at his pic, it might be because he seems to work in a very thick impasto manner, that could be why? If you ask him, I'd like to hear the answer as well.
>>
>>2845566
it's a perfectly viable method to cover the canvas with linseed oil and then paint into it.
>>
>>2845570

please elaborate why, I'd like to know what advantages this gives you
>>
>>2845566
it's to make the paint go on easy. oil paint is made with linseed oil.

I'm assuming that they're not painting on a naked canvas, but a primed one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSjasgMVq4M
>>
>>2845585
It's basically like 'liquid clear' as seen in Bob Ross videos

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53284
>>
>>2844753
>DARK COLORS ARE EDGY
Jesus.
>>
>>2847845
It's more the black and oily green highlights, combined with the fact that his style makes it seem as if he has no eyeballs.
It looks macabre.
>>
>>2847869
And angst comes into it how exactly?
>>
>>2847878
>angst
>äNG(k)st/Submit
>noun
>a feeling of deep anxiety or dread, typically an unfocused one about the human condition or the state of the world in general.
I wasn't insulting it. I like it. I meant that it does a good job of filling someone with a general sense of unease.
>>
>>2847889
That... that is not how you use the word anon.

Angsty portrait means the portrait exhibits angst, not that it causes it in the audience.

It's like saying that is a terrible, dreadful portrait, and meaning that it scares you.
>>
>>2847893
>It's a gloomy portrait. It inspires gloom in me.
>It's an angsty portrait. It inspires angst in me.
Gloom and angst are both nouns. Gloomy and angsty are adjectives that can suggest that something has their respective nouns in their themes.
Dunno what your issue is here.
>>
>>2847902
>gloomy
>causing or feeling depression or despondency.

>angsty
>feeling, showing, or expressing anxiety, apprehension, or insecurity : marked by angst <angsty teenagers> <angsty song lyrics>

I'm telling you you're not saying what you think you're saying
>>
>>2847905
>showing
Something can show a thing without the artist being that thing. Whether or not it's successful in causing someone else to sympathize with it is another matter.

What the fuck are we doing?
>>
>>2847908
But it is not showing angst, you retard.
>>
>>2847917
Sure it is.
>>
>>2844760
>if chunbum were even remotely perceptive
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.