[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your thoughts on teaching your kids to draw at a higher

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0344.jpg (31KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0344.jpg
31KB, 300x300px
What are your thoughts on teaching your kids to draw at a higher level from a young age? Do you think it's realistic for a kid to be able to draw like the one on the right (say in, I dunno, first grade) when most of their peers are on the left? I'm really interested in passing what I know early, but not positive they would be able grasp it so young.
>>
>>2844360
It is if you're able to isolate your kid from society fucking them up with YouTube and other fucking dumb kid shit. Just live in the woods and get them to draw from life for fun and it'll work. But most parents can't control the environment so usually their kids are fucked up beyond their teachings. It's hard to teach a kid to draw in this day and age because they're impatient fuckers who want instant gratification from the Internet and store.
>>
I have a nephew, 4yo, and he likes to draw. I tried to teach him a bit of really basic construction drawing, like using two ovals to draw a perked bird, and it kinda worked, but he was a bit frustratred.
So I guess it depends with the age. I wouldn't bother with basic fundamentals for a kid at least until s/he is about 10-12. Before that just encourage the kid to have fun with drawings.
>>
>>2844362
or maybe normal children throughout time have preferred (and needed, cognitively) play time to study and grind.
>>
File: IMG_1001 (1).jpg (551KB, 864x843px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1001 (1).jpg
551KB, 864x843px
>>2844390
Yeah, it all depends on how motivated and focused the kid can be. Most kids have short attention spans and limited capacity to channel their focus into something like a painting for several hours. Fine motor skills are still developing and first graders can barely hold a pencil, much less write. You could probably start in fifth grade, hopefully before kids start getting into the "I can't draw mentality".

I remember trying to teach my classmates how to draw when I was in 6th grade (just simple stuff from deviantart tutorials), but they really didn't give a shit.
I also recently had the pleasure of trying to teach an art lesson to Taiwanese first graders. They had really poor pencil control and complex shapes were hard for them to copy (not to mention how fucking insane they are), so I had to resort to teaching them symbol drawing.

It would be easier to instil good taste into a young child, and to teach good observation skills. Maybe also try getting them to think outside of the common symbols.
>>
>>2844422
>I remember trying to teach my classmates how to draw when I was in 6th grade (just simple stuff from deviantart tutorials), but they really didn't give a shit.
>tfw had the same kind of past
They're never serious right up until the end and then think they can't draw anymore. It'll forever haunt me how dumb some people are.
>>
i feel like it's a fine line

push them too far (as in /ic/'s idealized pushing) and they'll end up hating it
>>
>>2844426
Is there really such a thing as pushing them too far though? Look at all the past's greats and they were pushed pretty far as children and got really far.
>>
File: dfgdfgliujkl.jpg (74KB, 1200x296px) Image search: [Google]
dfgdfgliujkl.jpg
74KB, 1200x296px
>>2844360

I don't know bro I think you might be better off at first trying to teach them tricks that are easy for them and fun but ultimately will start on the right path to learning concepts that are quite complex.
For example when I was a kid I remember our design technology teacher showed us how to make stuff look "3D" now we did this on graph paper so it was constrained to a square grid and made everything super easy, you take each point extend 45 degree lines out diagonally cutting through the squares like in fig 2. and then you demonstrate how you do fig 3. and then you can say well what if instead of having all the lines at the same angle we extend them to just one point in space like in fig 4. and this can get them introduced to the concept of a vanishing points etc. But you have to go one step at a time they will probably be content just fucking around making bubble writing. No one ever introduced me to step 4. I was stuck in isometric mode for the next decade or whatever, if you have the opportunity to try to impart some wisdom to a child that might help them in future then you have to try, but keep things fun or they will probably get bored, that's the difficult part I would imagine. Good luck.
>>
File: 1481922446181.jpg (69KB, 625x552px) Image search: [Google]
1481922446181.jpg
69KB, 625x552px
>>2844360
I wanted to learn how to draw as a kid, but didn't bother until very very recently. The reason why is because nearly every art teacher skipped steps or didn't bother with anything they thought was "obvious" which led to jumping from a relatively easy exercise to something soul-crushingly hard, turning any enjoyment you got from drawing into tedium that you aren't doing better than everyone around you. A kid also isn't going to understand initially that this shit takes time and they aren't going to factor in all the reasons to why something isn't coming out very good, and feeling this enough over and over again will just break their spirit. They need to draw for fun, but forcing fundamentals on them will heavily restrict their creativity and if you have a few kids that miss some steps they'll see other people doing better than them, get jealous or envious, and then get bitter about improving in general.

So yes, it's completely realistic for a kid at a young age to draw amazingly and get better as they progress, but not if they aren't taught properly. Don't be afraid of repeating shit or going over the most menial tricks and techniques, and absolutely make sure they're having fun. Go over the same thing a thousand fucking times if you have to, because if they start getting frustrated or bored they're going to stop caring and start not fixing mistakes or just defaulting back to whatever works. One missed step could fuck up their entire drawing method.
>>
There's 2 types of people that get far ahead of their peers at a young age.
1. the kid who's forced by their parents to do it 24/7 without rest until they become good. these kids usually crack once they leave their parents.
2. the kid who absolutely is obsessed with it and spends all day doing it and cares about nothing else. they're usually socially retarded but hey, at least they have something going for them.
>>
As a mother:
Only if they are naturally interested. You may just teach them to hate it because learning things can be frustrating, espcially if they're not old enough.
think of all the big babies on here who are quitting all the time because they can't make it through studying
>>
>>2844746
>think of all the big babies on here who are quitting all the time because they can't make it through studying
Mom please.
>>
>>2844360
kids can't draw.

unlike music, gymnastics, or tennis, there aren't any pro level painters before their late teen/young adult age.
>>
>>2844428
You don't really hear about the kids who got pushed too far because they didn't amount to anything because they quit tho.
>>
>>2844792
But I hear about the kids who got pushed too far all the time. How do you know? They're the same people who are at the bottom.
>>
>>2844362
>muh younger generation is degenerate

fucking get some self awareness
>>
>>2844408
Nah. It's those filthy millenials and their technology. Facebook? What about face a book? Haha I like Banksy
>>
>>2844422
>teach good observation skills
This is really good advice, I honestly didn't take drawing seriously until my teens because serious construction seemed difficult. As long as you teach and encourage your kids to develop skills that can aid not only in artistic endeavors but life as a whole, you should be good. (Problem solving, breaking things down into simplified shapes, etc.)

Taking life drawing and fundamental drawing classes really helped with my problem solving skills as a kid and even now as an adult.
>>
Almost every kid a certain age likes to draw to express their creativity. All you have to do as a parent is positive encouragement and for the love of god NO "proper critiques".

Just allow them to develop their interest in art naturally, without meddling. If they get nto comics and superheroes, you've hit the jackpot. They will naturally start copying pretty decent artists and you can easily give them "how to draw the marvel way" and trick them into learning the fundamentals without it ever looking like studying to them.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.