[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get over this "too late to start" feeling?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 19

File: feelcycle.jpg (26KB, 400x394px) Image search: [Google]
feelcycle.jpg
26KB, 400x394px
How do I get over this "too late to start" feeling?

When I was young I could spend time learning something for the sake of learning.

But now with 25 I feel this need to be good at something. I now have a clear goal of how good I want to be and knowing how long it would take to reach it depresses me. I have this impatient desire to be good enough to visualize my ideas which prevents me from just sitting down and practicing.

How do I get back to the mindset I had when I was young?
>>
Just do it.
>>
>>2843802
Enjoy the learning/creative process, not the result. Time is going to keep moving, and 5 years from now you can either have 5 years of good practice under your belt and be pretty good or have nothing but regrets. 25 is still young, relatively speaking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)
>>
File: Weeks.png (62KB, 1204x1904px) Image search: [Google]
Weeks.png
62KB, 1204x1904px
>>2843802
I'm 23. I don't see why you would not be able to spend time learning something for the sake of learning.

What's stopping you from just drawing everyday? Is it just you rushing things?

If yes, then we're the same.

The answer is just draw. I'm having problems with it too but most of the time, the only thing that keeps me from making progress is complaining (which you are doing right now instead of drawing).

Make projects, make them feel official. Make a single drawing of all the ones you've drawn in a week, write down what you got better at and what you need to work on in the upcoming week.

Portraits, anatomy, perspective, line quality, color theory. The basics keep you alive and, make time here and then to make something new.

There was a Ted-Talk about how short the human life is and this picture shows exactly. Print it, check all the weeks that you have lived until now, make a portfolio, do studies and all that shit, learn, and now, after each week that passes, put those drawings in that week's page and you have something to show. If you have a week where you have nothing to show, that's bad.
>>
>>2843802
>past the age when you being to rapidly lose Neuroplasticity
Not gonna make it.
>>
I'm in the same condition as you, I'm 23 years old and I started to work 3 months ago, and I've been making a lot of progress, drawing the same thing as my friend who has been doing it since he was 3 years old. I think it's better that you learn older (of course if I had started 15 years ago now I would be a god hand). But now we have the condition that if we do not now we will die and we will not do it, we can choose, we have the maturity to strive and improve our spirit. When we're young, we're kind "of going to do it", but now we're sure, and what do we have to do anyway ?! JUST DO!
>>
You're starting to become aware of just how fast life is passing you by and you're getting terrified of becoming a useless nobody by the age of 30 and you feel like there is no time left. I know it sucks, we all wish we could go back to when we were 15 and start over, but we can't. The good news is that if you apply even a little ambition to your life, you will already be ahead of like 50% of the people around you. Your life won't end when you're 30 either, when you're 30 you'll be wishing you applied yourself better when you were 25, and when you're 40 you'll still have half of you life ahead of you and you'll be wishing you applied yourself better when you were 30.

tl;dr - this is the first day of the rest of your life.
>>
>>2844001

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3527655/
>>
>>2843802
The best time to start something is 10 years ago.
The second best time is right now.
>>
>>2844031

shut up noah
>>
File: C13gYU0XAAA6X-P.jpg (39KB, 487x594px) Image search: [Google]
C13gYU0XAAA6X-P.jpg
39KB, 487x594px
practicing is a meme, you most likely need a master's directon or on these practices you're going to try luck to make progress on your own
people dont improve fast without mentor training

let's be honest
you're not gonna do some exersizes on your own, you're not gonna get the understanding to solve the problem if you're not familiar with it at the moment
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-V8dg0BkAQ
>>
>>2843802
I should thank the space worms everyday that I didn't wait until I was literally a senior citizen.
>>
>>2843802
Listen to some Grant Cardone. I mean the man should be an /ic/ meme. He's really motivational.

In fact my goal for the next few months is to push some fresh memes and he is on the list as well.
>>
>>2843802

Just do it. Like anything in life, you're not going to do it if you don't do it, As obvious as that sounds. Complaining about it now doesn't magically make you younger. If it's bothering you, and you know you enjoy drawing then you have nothing to lose by doing it. Yes your shit will look bad at first, and you'll know it, but use your hopefully intelligent adult brain to assess what you need to learn to get to the level you like. Constantly challenge yourself, and feel the feeling of success when you achieve something or click with something you previously couldn't.
>>
When you're young, you generally learn things to alleviate boredom, you don't have adult responsibilities and expectations breathing down your neck.
>>
>>2843802
>>2843802

It's fucking great you have a goal man, but goals aren't enough.

Now that you know what you want, think about what you need to learn. Develop a system, stick with it and you will git gud.

I.E: A musician wants to play the piano. His system is what he practices every day.

I.E: A writer wants to make a best-selling series, his system is his writing schedule.

The question is: Do you think you can achieve your goals if you forget about them and just stick with your system?

Enjoy the process while improving: I.E: Draw whatever you want, but outside your confort zone. Nobody needs to see your mistakes, so don't torture yourself with it.

Print the books or whatever you need to study and get rid of anything that makes you procrastinate (unplug the modem/ change room when studying).

Remember: Better 30 mins a day with full concentration than 6+ mindless hours of grinding.

>Too late to start

Nigger, you're a grown man. You don't need to listen to retarded kids.
>>
>>2844213
>Better 30 mins a day
>falling for /ic/ memes

That's the bare minimum. An hour should actually be the minimum, really.
>>
>>2844222
An hour? Two hours should be the minimum. An hour is just warm up.
>>
Think about where you want to be in 5 years.

Realise that you won't get there if you do nothing.

Shout out loud until your blood is pumping.

Get a pencil and paper and draw the first reference picture you find in any random thread on /ic/. FORCE yourself to draw the reference, nice and slow, keep yourself in the present. Don't fucking touch your mouse or keyboard until you are done.

Take satisfaction in your finished drawing.

Repeat every day, drawing longer and more often.

Before you go to bed pick out a reference to study or draw tomorrow morning. Think about how you are going to draw that reference tomorrow morning. You'll wake up with drawing on your mind.
>>
>>2843802
If you haven't already used one of those "one free audiobook" things on audible I suggest you figure out how to get one free and listen to "Big Magic" it's about us as human being and why we create.

No matter how old you get there are still things unique to your head that only you can create. Sure, it may not be the best work ever, but with just the basics nailed down you'll already be better than 90% of the population.
>>
>>2843802
The biggest misconception in that diagram is the "do nothing" part.

It's easy to think of procrastination as "doing nothing" because you can take comfort in that; it's neither good nor bad: it's nothing.

Stop worrying about what you're NOT doing, and pay attention to what you ARE doing. Ask yourself "if I'm not gonna draw, what shall I do instead?" When I started doing this, it became harder and harder to find excuses.

Of course everyone is different, but that's is my experience with this cycle.
>>
I've had this fear forever, can't really tell why it stopped. But let me tell you this, I started when I was 22 and at 26 I got a job offer from a major film studio in murrica. Someone once said this whole journey is a scary leap of faith. So, have courage anon :)
>>
>>2843802
>>2844240
>Shout out loud until your blood is pumping.

This.
>>
File: On falling for hype.png (79KB, 1320x319px) Image search: [Google]
On falling for hype.png
79KB, 1320x319px
>>2843802
>How do I get over this "too late to start" feeling?
Follow this.
>>
>>2843802
>How do I get over this "too late to start" feeling?

Will tell you. It will sound retarded until you try it. Youtube: Emotional Freedom Technique.
>>
>>2843802
get rid of your ego
>>
>>2844225
Two hours? Four hours should be the minimum. Two hours are just warmup.
>>
Lot's of good advice in this thread.

>>2845992
This is good advice, but as

>>2844062
and
>>2844240
say, you need to get fired up a bit. 99% of the journey will be cold,but what allowed me to start moving was me allowing myself to have raging autistic fits that filled me with righteous rage towards my objective, it's what allowed me to break of the chain and get my shit together.

>>2844059

At the end of the day who makes the learning is yourself mate, this cannot be allowed to be an excuse.

>>2844468

Greeting, Pajeet.
>>
>>2843802
My general method for when I feel like I should do something right away as opposed to putting it off or not doing it at all is this: I ask my future self what I will have wished I did at this very moment. If I'm sitting down and browsing 4chan or reddit I'll stop and ask myself, "in 2 hours, or tomorrow morning, How will I feel about spending this time browsing the internet? Will I wish I hadn't?" if the answer is yes and you feel a sudden sense of regret then you know what you should do.

Regret is one of my biggest fears in life and I do regret a lot of things. I've found that confronting that feeling of regret before it happens often is enough to get me to do whatever it is I feel I should be doing.
>>
>>2846526
>browsing reddit
well you have to go back you fucking trash
>>
File: 1484313709449.jpg (84KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1484313709449.jpg
84KB, 900x900px
>>2846498
but you understand my point

if you want someone to get fit, you can't just leave him at the gym
yes, all the progress is up to what he DOES

but it's not just about 'doing stuff'
when you recieve proper education, you're relying on the shoulders of all the stupid mistakes past generations have made before you, so your path is straight and efficient

if you wan't to re invent the wheel is one thing, if you want to re invent a cancer treatment from scratch you're fucked up

what I say is not an "excuse" to quit or do nothing, it's a clear advice to wake the fuck up and realice the thing that matters most is being mentored by someone who have a clue or you're going to lack foundations

sad truth is, art education on the west has lost all tradition/foundation training
chinks are russians offer better education, but gl with moonrunes
>>
>>2846539
>art center is in the west
>lost all tradition/foundation training
>>
>>2843802

You really need a reason to draw, mine is that I want to draw decent anime styled images and backgrounds for visual novels that I write for myself. My drawing hobby isn't that serious though, I don't mind if I keep few months hiatus at times, I just continue where I left.
>>
>>2846495
four hours?
eight hours should be the minimum, you've hardly gotten started at four hours
>>
>>2843802
You're a 25 year old kid, and you're whining as if you're old? Fuck off.
>>
>>2846546
You got a blog?
>>
>>2846551
no, why should I?
>>
>>2846557
Well, you're making a visual novel right? How else can I follow you?
>>
>>2846558
>for myself

you missed this small detail in my post.
>>
>>2846611
>talking to yourself

4chan is mostly like that, you post your opinion 100 times and get maybe 2 replies if you are lucky. Drawings are also like opinions, tt might looks shit to you, but not for me.

Also, when publicly working on something there comes that feel you must finish your work since you have publicly announced it, when it's all private and for yourself, you don't have any obligations, just your hobby.
>>
>>2846624
>he doesn't get a dozen replies every time he makes a post
lmaoing at your life
>>
File: Chinese wisdom.jpg (27KB, 614x131px) Image search: [Google]
Chinese wisdom.jpg
27KB, 614x131px
>>2846498
>but what allowed me to start moving was me allowing myself to have raging autistic fits that filled me with righteous rage towards my objective,
You do realize what works is subjective yes? People need to find what works for them and use it, and as my cap said, getting fired up quickly leads right back to where some people started, because their results don't match their motivation. If that worked for you, cool, but i dont think its particularly wise to recommend autistic fits of rage if it makes someone impotent.

I would instead recommend reading The Stoics; Marcus Aurelius, Epitetus, Seneca, etc... The Obstacle is the way, and whatnot.
>>
>>2846539
> it's a clear advice to wake the fuck up and realice the thing that matters most is being mentored by someone who have a clue or you're going to lack foundations
Which is why there are self-taught professionals, right?

>sad truth is, art education on the west has lost all tradition/foundation training
>What are Ateliers?
>>
File: 1484657485829.png (28KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1484657485829.png
28KB, 657x527px
>>2846544
ratio of good to shit offers of art education is like 1:100

It's fucked up m8

>>2846661
which is that there are no self-taught asian render gods?

exceptions are just that, exceptions, you're only exposed to self-taughts that succeed, not the ones that stagnate

ateliers now are competing with a lot of shitty art education offer, this didn't happen one century ago

fine arts was serious once
students are baited to scamms

getting gud on your own is possible, I don't point it's not, it's not simple, it's not just hardwork so it's a big faith jump,

self-learning means you're incompetent to evaluate your own system of learning without trial and error, and that's wasted investment that could be saved with mentors

this is a fact m8
>>
File: puppeteer-lee-red-riding-f2.jpg (302KB, 1000x1300px) Image search: [Google]
puppeteer-lee-red-riding-f2.jpg
302KB, 1000x1300px
Barely out of their teenage years, worrying if they still have time.

You fucking people are retarded i swear to god.
>>
>>2846672
What are you talking about? By 23 your life is more then a third over.
>>
>>2846696
Keep telling yourself that you depressed autistic social retard.
>>
>>2846705
No you dense fucks, get off ic jesus christ. theres plenty of people who got to a retarded level in just a couple of years.
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 184x174px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 184x174px
>>2843848
that pic
>>
>>2846701
Okay, about a fourth over. Still a really late start.
>>
>>2846696
Oh no, you can basically do nothing the rest of it, why bother, it's over.
>>
>>2846737
But isn't art a lifelong journey and not a part-of-a-life-journey?
>>
>>2846743
No, it's when-you-decide-to-draw-to-point-where-you-decide-to-stop
>>
File: 1483357047358.jpg (154KB, 951x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1483357047358.jpg
154KB, 951x1300px
>>2843848
jesus christ
>>
>>2846732
Look dude, if you dont want to draw then just dont, i dont give a fuck
>>
>>2846758
What? I ever said any of that. I'm just saying starting in your 20's is a late start.
>>
>>2846780
I can tell you cant draw just from reading this bullshit
>>
>>2846795
Where are you getting that? I'm just saying that being in your 20's is pretty old.
>>
>>2846806
And im just saying that you are extremely retarded.
>>
>>2846806

Have you even drawn anything today?
>>
>>2846814
I never said that people couldn't learn starting at that age, just that they have a good chunk of their life behind them.

>>2846815
Only a bit of practice.
>>
File: forming an emperor.png (1MB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
forming an emperor.png
1MB, 1360x768px
>>2843802
Nice thread! Loving the positive feedbacks but here's one.
>tl;dr: how do you learn to create a good story for animation?
Every single day I'm killing myself for not creating anything, just yesterday when I was free, I choose to sleep instead of drawing because of all the fear, doubt and fury! The energy I have at work is much more focused than I have when drawing at home - the only time I'm focused is when I'm riding the bus to work, sure it's a bumpy ride which breeds terrible sketches but it's the only time I have the guts to draw.
But when I start doing it, despair creeps in and destroys my morale from the inside.
And even though I revel and yearn for creating that cringy darkness, it's just a whirlwind of madness of unclear scenes in my head, can't think of a COMPLETE good storyline to bring it into animation, let alone have the guts later on to post it as a mark of my domain.
I feel the power in my hand but I just can't reach it quite yet!
But even though I think about this every day, I'm conflicted in my mind that in later years I'll start killing myself for choosing this path - a path
There's so many answers, questions and theories here that just keeps me angry
>>
Focus not on how good you are but on how well you improve.

Set short term, realistic goals for you to reach.
>>
>>2846818
If you want to take a shortcut, get 3D software like 3ds max, pose bipeds in the scene like you want and render, you can trace over the biped and see how it looks as line art, then you can practise drawing details like faces, etc..
>>
>>2846656
>Classical philosophy

Mah nigga
>>
>>2843848
most ted talks are bullshit though.
>>
File: expectations.jpg (1MB, 1204x1290px) Image search: [Google]
expectations.jpg
1MB, 1204x1290px
>>2843848
and in the past 10 years it felt like I was using a paint roller
>>
File: depressio.png (139KB, 1204x1904px) Image search: [Google]
depressio.png
139KB, 1204x1904px
>>2846942
I'm gonna start using this to keep track of time, seems like a decent idea.
>>
>>2846947
> tfw you forget about your own birthday
> you go to sleep at 10 PM on NYE every year
>>
>>2843848

I'm 20. I'm currently NEETing, but I'll finish high school soon. So, I'm willing to listen to older people.

So, anons, what do you have to say?

Do artists have ever regret dedicating their life to art?
>>
>>2847080
>Do artists have ever regret dedicating their life to art?
It feels like I'm on a crashing airplane that's taking forever to hit the ground, but the worst thing is that I wouldn't have chosen otherwise.

This is the best I could do with my life, and somewhat I'm proud of it. I guess there's no point in feeling bad about myself, what's done is done. I've tried and failed but at least I have tried.
>>
>>2847080
>Do artists have ever regret dedicating their life to art?
The obvious answer is yes, since it's impossible for there not to have been one.

Truth is though, most artists probably don't.

Art is like a religion, you don't just commit to it for a long period of time for no reason.

Usually people resonate closely with it and that's why they dedicated their time to it.

There are a lot of hardships that come along with it, but every decision does.

Art in my opinion is a lot of time consuming work, but when you're finally at the end and done.

It just feels great to look at the result that you produced.

It's like you brought the canvas to life.

An amazing feeling really.

It's kind of what I want to do with people's ideas since they usually don't have anyone to do it for them.

Bringing them to life since they only exist in people's minds.
>>
File: collage-2017-02-05 (1).jpg (183KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
collage-2017-02-05 (1).jpg
183KB, 1024x768px
>>2843847
>Enjoy the learning/creative process, not the result.

This is the part I struggle most with. I have a standard for myself that is too high and I know that. People keep telling me that if I just work at it then after a ~2-3 month period of being shit and hating you will get to a point where you are ok with things.

I have been drawing/painting **Off and on** for years now I still feel bad. I WANT to like the process, I WANT to be an artist, but so far everything I have made makes me feel really bad about myself.

(I will post a follow up with newer stuff shortly... I have never actually looked at it all as a collage etc)
>>
File: collage-2017-02-05.jpg (186KB, 1500x500px) Image search: [Google]
collage-2017-02-05.jpg
186KB, 1500x500px
>>2847154
Part two.

Again I really just feel like I am backsliding. I know I am working with a new medium now so there is some of that to be expected, but still. How can anyone look at this and think I am doing anything but getting worse.

I still want to try and get better but its just hard to keep going when I feel so bad about the stuff I am making. In my entire art *career* (if you can call it that) I have never really been happy with the things I make.

I get a sort of 1 day high when i finish something but but later realize how bad it really was and sink down again.
>>
>>2843802
>"too late to start" feeling
that's not your problem. The "I want to draw" feeling is your problem, cause that ain't going away either. I started at 30 and I have been wanting to do it for the last 10 years. The feeling does not go away, so just start, assface.
>>
>>2843848
ahhh fuck this picture fuck fuck fuck fuck /ic/ ima go draw
>>
>>2846942
>>2846947
This is really true. I am going to start doing this too.

I feel like I have lots of great ideas, and stories to tell but lack the ability to make reflective/worthy art for them. That is something I want to fix!
>>
>>2846548
eight hours?
sixteen hours should be the minimum
>>
>>2847213
I don't get it, what's so special about this image.
>>
>>2847335
It is a very graphical representation of your life. It is easy to feel like your life is this massive yawning into the distance thing. But looking at it in this unitized way it drives home that no matter where you are on it there is no better time to start/get gud than now.

When you see it laid out like that it makes it hard to justify letting weeks slip through your fingers.
>>
>>2847335
Humans have a hard time quantifying things we dont have a sort of visual representation of to really show how numerous or not something is. That picture simply shows how long the somewhat average lifespan is, baring early mishaps of course.
>>
File: komugi3.jpg (288KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
komugi3.jpg
288KB, 1080x1080px
>>2843848
how much of this is sleep
>>
>>2847430
About a third of your weeks
>>
>>2847443
it's not fair
>>
>>2843848

I was never more afraid of death...
>>
>>2847333
sixteen hours?
32 hours should be the minimum

also nice numbers
>>
>>2844001
"Didn't make it" detected.
>>
>>2844030
What is this?
>>
File: 1475172027593.png (696KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1475172027593.png
696KB, 633x758px
>>2843802
>>2843848

Try having these problems on top of suffering cubital+carpal tunnel syndrome in both arms.

Then you'll know true powerlessness.
>>
>>2847899
sounds like a problem with your back. I feel you tho, I had the same thing, had to add one whole year to my degree because of this crap. I've had this several times too, doctors wanted to perform surgery on my hand, meaning a huge loss of mobility. Then I went to a chiropractor and he found out it was a back problem. Did you try checking for that?

sorry for offtopic i guess
>>
>>2848341
>back
You mean a spinal problem right
>>
>>2843802
1. Just suck it up and do it. Ignore self pity.
2. Give up and do something else.
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.