[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I have been trying to improve my drawings by drawing my own

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: 1.jpg (102KB, 720x960px)
1.jpg
102KB, 720x960px
So, I have been trying to improve my drawings by drawing my own hand every other day. I just use regular a pencil and eraser, nothing fancy. Can you recommend me some particular technique or trick?
>>
File: 2.jpg (122KB, 960x720px)
2.jpg
122KB, 960x720px
>>
File: 3.jpg (63KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
63KB, 960x720px
>>
File: 4.jpg (60KB, 960x720px)
4.jpg
60KB, 960x720px
>>
sorry for shitty camera, btw.
>>
>>2839697
You're looking at details before you get the large shapes and their proportion/placement correct. Spend more time in the blocking phase, plotting points on the hand then connecting them and filling in details. ie: measure and really look at the placement of the top of the knuckle in relation to the placement of the very bottom of the palm.
Also, don't be so rigid and hard with your pencil. When filling in the details between the measured points, keep a loose flow and a light pencil stroke that you can flesh out later if need be. A pencil line can indicate depth, light, and form if used properly (by changing the thickness at certain points, etc).
Also, when shading, make sure you're hatching along the form
>>
>>2839697
>drawing my own hand every other day
It shouldn't take too long to sketch a hand, I'd recommend doing much more than that.
If you spend 5 minutes on each drawing it would only take 30 minutes to draw 6 hands.
When starting out it doesn't matter if you create great looking drawings, what matters is that you're doing your best to understand the subject of your drawing.
>>
>>2839791
dude, I take like 28 min to do one drawing.
>>
please don't use lined paper for everyones sake
>>
It's good practice to keep a schedule like you are. I recommend (if you have the time) taking 30 minutes earlier in the day to do a reference sketch like your hand exercises, then 30 mins later in the evening to either read up on techniques or experiment with new things. It's nice to draw the same thing since you can see your progress more easily, but branching out is important too. Don't overthink every line, early on its best to draw as much as you can to build up the muscle memory. Buy a cheap sketchpad and go crazy.
>>
Dropping an honest word on every other post so far, especially what
>>2839713
Said

To maybe better your tech I'd advise to draw much smaller hands first (like an inch or two for each hand). It'll go much much quicker and you pick up the basic shapes more easily, as focusing on details would be impossible. As your drawings were done on lined paper I assume you won't hang them on your wall, so I guess it'd also be less of a waste of paper.

Spending less time on each hand will also help you figuring out what's important to the spectator, considering anatomy (as in, what is really needed to make it look like a hand) this may sound stupid, but trust me it's helpful. When decreasing time, go in comfortable steps, but at some point I'd go down to 30 sec each hand. Once you feel comfortable you can increase time/size again

Also don't use an eraser, just sketch the hands at first. If you don't like ballpoint pens or fineliners, stick to the pencil, but no eraser
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.