[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a streamlined online course which covers literally every

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

Is there a streamlined online course which covers literally every fundamental? I cant do anything on my own and Id like to just follow instructions and be done with it. At least after finishing it i would know if i am able to draw or not.

I am tired of doing sketches or other shit that dont teach me shit
>>
>>2836593
The sticky
Schoolism
CGMA
Watts Atelier
Aguri's guide
Meme 12 books
>>
>>2836593

Show some of your sketches - curious to see how far you got.

Your best bet is to enroll into a school if you're serious about this and grind through a few years of intense practice there.
>>
>>2836594
>>2836597
I am really poor and even without that i dont have any good schools near me. I need to be handheld because I feel lost and I feel like I am wasting my time on worthless crap.

I'd really like to go to watts or whatever, but I cant. So please let me know about any handholding courses that are going to show me how all of this should be done.
>>
>>2836605
Also books dont really work for me, I have very short attention span and watching videos does a lot more.
>>
>>2836593
>>2836605
>>2836608
Give up. Completely 100% serious. This ain't for you.

You want it all without any of the work. If you're going to continue that you won't even be able to do anything in this world.

I'll wait until you change your mind though. What do you want to achieve by drawing? Show me influences or a favorite art piece or something.
>>
>>2836626
>wihtout any work
thats not true though, I want to what to do exactly, how and when to move on and stuff. In the end its me who has to do all the drawing.

I want to achieve well rendered pieces with an interesting composition, thats a lot but thats really it.
>>
>>2836605
>>2836608

Poverty is something you'll need to get yourself out of first, and above all. Take care of your shit before you get into the art. It's a big undertaking in and of itself.

Most of the population, including the great old masters, are/were utterly hopeless at first until they got enough instruction to develop a sensible work ethic, so don't feel too bad about struggling on your own.

Instructional books, like the ones from Dover Press, can work for beginners but most books on good, solid drawing and painting technique are really meant for experienced artists. There's too much assumed knowledge to use them if you're just starting out.

If your lack of attention span is strictly due to the medium (text vs. video), you'll need to work at training your attention span with regards to books because that's where most of the artistic foundational knowledge still exists.

List some art instruction books that you've (at least attempted to) read.
>>
>>2836633
I want to know*
>>
>>2836635
finished keys to drawing, nothing really insightful there except everything that i have known up to that point

other books i dont remember names but that doesnt really matter, because the general issue with all of them was that they werent specific enough. There were tips like focus on drawing or try to understand stuff, that doesnt help at all (at least in my case). I focus when i draw, but that doesnt mean i am going to do everything the way its needed to be done.

I just need specific handholding, thats all. Like art schools but without going to one. I believe there has to be something in the internet that can emulate that experience.
>>
File: 2297.jpg (46KB, 300x331px) Image search: [Google]
2297.jpg
46KB, 300x331px
>>2836672

See the pic. Find this in one of the mega uploads in the art books thread. Look online for Charles Bargue Plates zip file.

It's literally what Watts and others use, and the authors lay out how to approach using the book as well.

It will require reading a handful of pages, but you can do it anon.
>>
>>2836672
https://youtu.be/k3Al7QAS89s
https://youtu.be/EsFJeFru1pM
Good podcasts to handhold you. Tell you what to do step by step.

https://youtu.be/7rI6q6bv7do
https://youtu.be/nVZtq-3EhL4
https://youtu.be/yq9L307_DQU
Good videos to handhold you, step by step through a painting.
>>
>>2836679
I have been doing bargue drawing for quite some time now. Thanks for reminding me that this book exists. What would you recommend to do after this?

>>2836696
Have seen those already but thanks anyway.
>>
>>2836725

Can you post one of the better plates you've done?

If you have done a good job with plates then that opens a lot of doors for you, because hopefully by now you've trained your eyes to see shapes and values (and hence forms) for what they are.

I'll leave out digital tablet work for now since I am not sure if you have one or can/cannot afford one at the moment.

I'll focus on draftsmanship in pencil.

The next step is to form one important habit, which really should be a fundamental in itself.

Get used to drawing things from life. Look for things to draw that inspire you. This can be landscape. It can be cars and other industrial design. Whatever captivates you.

At first, find things that have few colors so you can focus on the forms themselves. Then, take a painting you like and do a drawing of it.. Get your drawing to be as close to the painting as possible in terms of values.

You can go a long way by doing copies of drawings and paintings.

Studies with strong perspective. Block in perspective lines similar to how you block in bargue plates.

Studies with strong anatomy. Apply Bridgman, Loomis methods *literally* as you are blocking in the figures from whatever you're studying.

Once you can do this, you're in a much better position to handle your own compositions, your own figures, and delve into things like notan and framing techniques.
>>
Wrapping up from >>2836767

If you're struggling to put things down from life, look at old Dover-republished books since they tend to cover these fundamentals via blocking in and rendering in pencil.

Again, you are going to have to spend time reading because no one covers this shit in-depth on the internet, and since you're DIYing you won't have anyone to tailor anything to what you need.

Nonetheless, I hope that helps.
>>
>>2836593
"I cant do anything on my own"
get a new dream
>>
File: bargue1.png (882KB, 1750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bargue1.png
882KB, 1750x1000px
>>2836767
This is a recent one, I know that proportions are not perfect but I still consider this an improvement over past bargue drawings.

Also Ive started bargue drawing book, its informative and interesting, once again thanks for the reminder.

Ive been thinking that relying too much on copying would make me useless in imagination drawing which is what I wanted to do, so I didnt do much lately. But if this is what I have to go through a lot, then Ill go.

And thanks for the help.
>>
>>2836800

You need to take your block-in and render out so it comes to look almost exactly like the one on the left. Get the contour of the foot, get the shadows, and then get whatever is in the lights.

Look at the work others have done.
>>
>>2836672
>I just need specific handholding, thats all. Like art schools
That's not what an art school is.
No one will hold your hand. No one.

Get your shit together or fuck off.
>>
>>2836832
But art schools hold your hands you huge faggot. They make exercises progressively, fairly harder, something that you cant do because you are a student, not a teacher and your judgment is not that good. They wont expect you to know anything if you havent done that already and they are focused on a specific training. Sure you have to do some work on your own but saying that art schools dont guide you is fucking retarded
>>
>>2836836
I went to an art school, you dumb faggot.
I didn't say they don't guide you, I said they don't hold your hand. If you can't keep up, you get left in the dust, they don't give a fuck.

>They make exercises progressively, fairly harder
There is literally no difference between an art school and a decent course as far as that is concerned.

>They wont expect you to know anything if you havent done that already and they are focused on a specific training
You are gravely misinformed on what art schools are.

Get cracking or get out, you dumb faggot.
>>
>>2836870
Guidance is basically handholding but worded differently.

>There is literally no difference between an art school and a decent course as far as that is concerned.

Recommend me a good course then, whatever. Its still a matter of having set exercises with a clear goal.

>You are gravely misinformed on what art schools are.

They dont make you a pro who can make millions per year, but if you pay attention and do your work, you will be able to do at least basic freelancing work. Unless you are talking about backwards art schools that are useless a fuck, well, fuck that.
>>
>>2836879
I need you to listen to me very carefully here, alright?

You are an imbecile.
Stop thinking anyone, ever, anywhere in the world will bother holding your hand through learning to draw.
Stop thinking an art school would have made any difference to your stupid ass.
You are the problem.

You have been given everything you need in the first fucking post.

If you are too incompetent to fucking pirate something off the internet, you will never amount to shit in your life.

You can keep making excuses and imagining an art school would have thought you anything a course won't, or you can stop being a worthless faggot and get to work.
>>
File: tfw.jpg (144KB, 518x462px) Image search: [Google]
tfw.jpg
144KB, 518x462px
>>2836884
You fucking retard, I wasted my time because I did too muchin a wrong direction. I wasted my time on doing stuff without clear goals, without good exercises that would actually made me better. I just drew and that was really it. After months and months of just drawing I realized its all a big, utter waste of time, because I still do the same shit I was doing months ago.

That is because I dont know where to start and when to stop. If I could tell that, I wouldnt have made this thread, I wouldnt be even posting here because I would be busy with working. With each passing day I am getting more and more angry at my lack of understanding and I am getting away from drawing. I can tell to myself that i need get better at perspective, at rendering, at values, at colors, at gestures etc. but so can everyone! What a fucking surprise! But I wont get better just because I can tell that I am shit at almost everything.

It all has to be done in a smart way if you really want to progress. I dont know how to do that, I am stagnating and it makes the whole deal worse. Thats why I need guidance. Without it I wont just magically make myself smarter. Maybe I am fucking dumb or something, but I can admit that I need help and I am seeking it right now. Thanks for nothing you cocksucker.
>>
>>2836901
Do a finished piece of the type of work you want to do. When it is done, figure out what sucks the most about it. See how other artists did that one aspect better, read a book or two that covers that aspect. Repeat for other apects you suck at. Nobody can guide you because there is no super efficient path that fits everyone. You gotta figure shit out for yourself.
>>
recommend me some videos on rendering /ic/
>>
A lot of newbies have some really retarded idea that if you just had that perfect book or course you'd learn everything.
It doesn't work like that.
Even if you find the perfect book and copy all the exercises and read everything you're not gonna internalize a fucking thing.
The only way to actually learn in drawing is to try, fuck up, get reference to find out where you went wrong and do it better in your next drawing.
The fundamentals aren't something you can read in a book and be able to do immediately or even months later.
There's no fast way to getting good, you just have to grind.

If you really want to be spoonfed:

For anatomy, get like fucking any anatomy book. There are a lot to choose from but they all have the same information.
Practice drawing bodies and body parts from imagination and then refer to books, reference images etc. to figure out how to improve.

For rendering, draw or paint from life/photos and observe how light and shit works. Try do it from your head. It's shit? Get some reference and try again.
Repeat ad infinitum

For perspective, learn the rules from either a book or https://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/tech10.html (my personal recommendation)
Then practice what you learn. If you don't practice the shit out of it you're going to forget a couple days later. Try to apply perspective to other studies too.
The problem and benefit of learning perspective is that you can't really refer to reference to know how to improve, you just have to learn the rules. (like math or science)
But the good thing about that is there's always a "correct" way to do something in perspective, and you'll be able to figure that out if you know and practice it well enough.
>>
>>2836901

Do you have time for a mentor, for example?

I would not mind helping you out a bit with a direction to go in. I can't recommend any books/courses sadly because your art goals will vary depending on what your own personal goals are. Send me a message if you are interested.
>>
>>2837060
Never refer to drawings in anatomy books. Only real life.
>>
>>2836593
You have to take up some sort of school. There is a reason why US Asians make up 90% of the industry, because they have their parents wallet and support. Doesn't matter if it's online, just have a professional slapping your face when you mess up. Art isn't any different than the other crafts like learning to play piano, you need a teacher to speed up your progress.

Other than that you need to also create a working process for yourself. One that allows you to draw everyday because you know exactly what you need to be doing. If you're "tired of doing sketches or other shit that don't teach me shit" it is because you're doing it wrong. Drawing like you're on the phone drawing on a napkin or waiting for an order is a huge waste of time if you're home in front of your set-up. Don't fall for this. Working process, always.
>>
File: IMG_0008.jpg (20KB, 274x221px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0008.jpg
20KB, 274x221px
OP, can you describe your learning process?

There isn't much of a difference in learning through books or videos when it comes to internalizing concepts.

Videos can make certain techniques more clear, but in the end it's about building an array of solutions that you can choose from to approach any given problem.

Speaking of your Keys to Drawing experience. Drawing is not about understanding concepts. It's about internalizing techniques so that you can produce work on command. You can read about what an application does all day long, but it won't help you program one.

Can you replicate every single technique that is mentioned in Keys to Drawing on command? If you cannot, you have not worked through it.
>>
>>2837100
Anatomy books aren't always accurate but I don't have the opportunity to cut open cadavers on a daily basis.
>>
Should I compare proportion and angles all the time while drawing bargue or should i do everything and then check it after its done
>>
>>2838477
>should I be checking the walls are level all the time, or should I build the house and then check
>>
>>2838493
epic
>>
>>2836593
FZD for sur. You will be the next shadman in no time.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.