[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who does /ic/ consider top tier artists, who've mastered

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 11

File: images.jpg (9KB, 200x252px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 200x252px
Who does /ic/ consider top tier artists, who've mastered fundamentals of art.
>>
>>2831141
Van Gogh had interesting perception of colors and shapes, although I wouldn't say that he mastered the fundamentals. I love his art though. An innovator, but not a master.
>>
>>2831152
he was definitely the last good modern artist before it all went to shit
>>
>>2831141
He's literally us.
>autist
>started at 27
>was shit until he read a book
>poor
>>
>>2831141
>mastered fundamentals of art
https://youtu.be/7rI6q6bv7do
Feng Zhu. There's just no doubt about it. His work is always amazing no matter what day it is. Even when you see his work, you know it's his because of his brushwork that just shouts out Feng Zhu.
>>
>>2831173
Nice fundies, but he's not a top tier artist because he only draws boring vidyashit.
>>
>>2831173
fucking disgusting utter shit that it is, fuck off now and educate yourself.
>>
>>2831141
>Who does /ic/ consider top tier artists, who've mastered fundamentals of art.

Fundamentals are simply a means to an end, that's why many of the best artists produced good work without even excelling at them. This board is pretty ideological in how they worship fundamental-ism, to the extent that a lot of work is discounted merely because the artist puts aesthetic form before mechanic ability
>>
>>2831169
>poor
He wasn't poor. He was essentially the middle-class hipster dickhead of the late 19th century. Was given a monthly allowance from Theo and he chose to live with a prostitute and her bastards while painting intentionally ugly portraits of poor people for the first couple years of his painting career.

Which totally makes him /ourguy/ that much more.
>>
File: IMG_5011.jpg (2MB, 2302x2944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5011.jpg
2MB, 2302x2944px
>>2831141
>>2831152
>who've mastered fundamentals of art.
>I wouldn't say that he mastered the fundamentals.

I'm relatively new to /ic/ but is this shit a meme? What the fuck are "the fundamentals of art?"

How would however thats defined be super relevant to anything produced in the last 200 years?

Subverting "the fundamentals" kind of became a fundamental thing to do once everyone figured out shit like color and perspective and composition etc.
>>
>>2831141
Sycra has mastered the fundamentals.
>>
File: 1485305722915.jpg (231KB, 1074x1307px) Image search: [Google]
1485305722915.jpg
231KB, 1074x1307px
I just love this artist! It's miku and rin being cute!
>>
>>2833148
Is this bait? It looks terrible.
>>
File: KimJungGoFuckYourself.gif (3MB, 800x362px) Image search: [Google]
KimJungGoFuckYourself.gif
3MB, 800x362px
Pic rel
>>
File: 1485305591418.jpg (219KB, 1682x997px) Image search: [Google]
1485305591418.jpg
219KB, 1682x997px
>>2833154
No-no anon, it's wonderful! Just look at this amazing improvement!!
>>
>>2833161
>tfw can't even draw a box without erasing
>>
Proko
>>
>>2831141
Certainly not Van Gogh, in any event.

In my view Goya was the last of the old masters insofar as he was an artist with a vision and a great draughtsman/painter. People like Ingres and Bougereau were memesters because they were trying to keep good art alive but they pushed form at the expense of substance. 19th century academics just gave more ammo to the "lel, why paint realistically when u have cameras" bullshit crowd, as if having a compelling artistic vision and a high level of craftsmanship were somehow at odds.
>>
>>2831141
Currently living? Cory Loftis and Nathan Fowkes are god tier and absolutely impeccable.
>>
>>2833138
Van Gogh was mentally ill and he would've never made it if he didn't get spotted by smart salesmen who dipped into that juicy post-impressionism market.

I don't even hate his work but I always felt like he's been a pawn in the hands of something bigger.
>>
>>2833144
>color and perspective and composition
& line, shape, form, value. (Anatomy if u wanna draw people) The fundamentals. It's like learning scales for music.

>>2833144
Unless you're a post-modern-whateverist, there are *fundamentals* to creating an image that will register on way or another with the human visual system.

>>2831885
>This board is pretty ideological in how they worship fundamental-ism
>aesthetic form before mechanic ability

Eh, Leyendecker is hugely admired here, above more academic painters

>>2831173
He's okay, but doesn't stand up to gilded-age painters

>>2831141
Sargent
Repin
Gerome
Sorolla
Check out the /oil/ general that's in the archive

>>2831164
good ol' Sargie put out work until the 20's
>>
>>
>>2833521
>& line, shape, form, value. (Anatomy if u wanna draw people) The fundamentals. It's like learning scales for music.
I mean I included the etc for a reason. I get it. It just seems weird to me how "the fundamentals" are like some mantra around here. I think it can even be crippling for beginners to get too obsessed with trying to adhere to or practice "the fundamentals" too much. Do what feels natural if you want. Make whatever. It doesn't necessarily matter. Plenty of successful artists that suck at the fundamentals.
>>
It's because lots of 4chan users were neglected and raised by the Internet so have not left the concrete cognitive phase. Technical merit is the only thing that is important to them, it's actually very harmful.
>>
>>2833629
>implying being raised by the internet isn't the greatest thing ever
>>
>>2833533
this is my opinion on the matter:
the fundamentals are artistic skills. you can have great, interesting ideas/concepts but the fundamentals are the only things which can be used to communicate these ideas, put your mind onto canvas, with any effectiveness. a master of the fundamentals can communicate any artistic idea with 100% (or greater) effectiveness. without the fundamentals, it's like trying to write a novel without knowing the language. you could get lucky, but knowing the fundamentals means no luck is required. and it doesn't mean it's some "technically flawless" work necessarily, because certain flaws and unintentional things can be a virtue in art. and someone who knows the fundamentals can let this occur in their work as well.
now, you could also say learning the fundamentals is like learning grammar in a language. for most people it's extremely slow and tedious to focus on the grammar in a vacuum, reading rules in a book, in "fake situations", and repeating this. and doing this can be demotivating to a beginner and may even stop them. but i think that's just the wrong way to go about things. i think it works better to absorb yourself in something interesting, but where the only way to understand it is with grammar, so you end up exploring the grammar, the words and all that, yourself, in a way that is meaningful to you.
>>
>>2833491
>Van Gogh was mentally ill
He had bipolar disorder.
>and he would've never made it if he didn't get spotted by smart salesmen who dipped into that juicy post-impressionism market.
He sold one painting in his life. Stop making shit up. Before he painted he worked in an auction house. His brother was an art dealer and they both where big art collectors. They didn't get "spotted by smart salesmen" ever in his life. They had hoarded his shit with the assumption that it would eventually appreciate.

>I don't even hate his work but I always felt like he's been a pawn in the hands of something bigger.
Yeah Theo.
>>
>>2831141
Obviously
>>
File: Van Gogh parrot.jpg (163KB, 902x1030px) Image search: [Google]
Van Gogh parrot.jpg
163KB, 902x1030px
>>2831152
>although I wouldn't say that he mastered the fundamentals

U wot m8?
>>
File: IMG_2788.jpg (78KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2788.jpg
78KB, 640x960px
GUYS GUYS GUYS PLEASE HELP
I'M looking for a classical painting, probably oil on canvas, baroque, perhaps Renaissance, it depicts a scene in Greek mythology where a male character killed a woman stabbing her in the heart, now there are 3 female figures screaming in his ears, tormenting him, he looks ultimately tormented, trying to shut his ears with the hands.... Everyone has seen it before, can someone please source it to me?
>>
>>2836149
PLEASE HELP ME I'LL FAIL
>>
>>2836149
>>2836157
PLS HELP ME
>>
File: download.jpg (5KB, 163x144px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 163x144px
>>2836149
Are you searchin for this? This is Oreste, Odysseus' son being tormented by the Ερινύες or Erinni, greek personification of retribution. He had killed his mother,
>>
>>2836162
YES YES YES THANK YOU
>>
>>2836165
What did you need it for?
>>
alfons mucha
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.