[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I had one idea. What if I combine both traditional animation

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: leona_idle.gif (97KB, 400x480px) Image search: [Google]
leona_idle.gif
97KB, 400x480px
So, I had one idea.

What if I combine both traditional animation with cut out animation in the same shit.

Like...
see my picture.

What I mean is that the body and rigid parts, like limbs are done using cut out animation, but the really important details like fingers and hair are done traditionally.

This was done in 2014, going to make a new test.

I don't think it looks like crap, and I think it's a great idea.

Is there a name for this way of doing animation?
>>
yeah, its called her arm is fucking broken.
>>
>>2826750
I'm not asking about my picture level.
I'm asking opinions on the method.
>>
File: 1484882279560.png (36KB, 240x214px) Image search: [Google]
1484882279560.png
36KB, 240x214px
>>2826739
that looks horrible.
Although darkest dangeon uses a similar technic to make its characters walk.

If you are not willing to make a decent work with regular frame by frame animation you could as well use 3d.
>>
>>2826755
again, not really asking opinions about the animation skill.

I want to ask:
Is even possible to mix limited animation with traditional at the same time?

Of course is possible, but I've never seen any examples.

>willing
a skullgirls character took 2.000 hours anon.
animation is expensive.
>>
>>2826753

It depends on what you are trying to do. It could be work, but unless you are on a time crunch why not just animate traditionally. And if you really are pressed for time just use rigged figures.

Again, depends on what you are looking to do with it, if you just want to make some quick animation loops with some fluid movements in the extremities, sure seems logical.

Would have helped to have a better example of the technique too.
>>
File: jester_limits.png (172KB, 640x273px) Image search: [Google]
jester_limits.png
172KB, 640x273px
>>2826758
depends on what are you going to use it for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDzZvtPR9P4

this games uses a diorama style animation
they disect the character and animate the walking motion that way

>a skullgirls character took 2.000 hours anon.
animation is expensive.

but there's nothing better atm.

if you are going to animate a lot of shit you can spend a lot of money at first for making cel shading 3d animation models and all that shit and then you can reuse the models as much as you want, it will be cheaper in long-term.

Guilty gear does this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbgPQzLViZA
>>
>>2826767
>>2826768
I'm trying to make something new, mixing traditional with limited and cut out at the same time.

I lack any examples of such thing.

Imagine mixing some bits of traditional disney in the hair, facial expresion and hair, some limited animation in the clothes and the limbs done with cut out in a 3D software.

I'm trying to figure out a workflow that will allow me to have the less effort and maximal quality.

3D will require basically a team.
>>
>>2826770

Dude, this is a thing already.
>>
>>2826770
Doesn't south park do that shit?
i think they use maya to animate each episode.
And each episode is finished in the matter of 4 days i think.
>>
>>2826774
got any examples?
>>
>>2826779
south park doesn't seem to have traditional animation though.
>>
>>2826781
but the basic idea is there.
the characters only change their facial expressions and have limited motion in their limbs.
>>
>>2826788
you're missing the point.
I'm talking detailed realistic or at least anime level characters.

I'm talking using both limited, traditional and cut out at the same time.
>>
>>2826780
like this?

https://vimeo.com/132407339
>>
>>2826797
thanks, didn't knew about it.

found this example of cut out animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKjsfZVIBug
>>
File: 1484863471525.jpg (144KB, 589x506px) Image search: [Google]
1484863471525.jpg
144KB, 589x506px
>>2826791
>I'm talking using both limited, traditional and cut out at the same time.

short answer: yes it is possible, you could call it diorama animation

it won't save you any money if you're trying to make something amazing appealing to the viewer

but nothing is stopping you from trying.

if you are really lazy you could also make something like ninja slayer or inferno cop
>>
>>2826802
I'm just one dude bro.
I can't outwork an entire disney studio.
>>
>>2826758
>a skullgirls character took 2.000 hours anon.
Source? That's got to be impossible.
>>
>>2826805
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEmSeZLa0Io
>>
>>2826804
>I'm just one dude bro.
I can't outwork an entire disney studio.

i never said otherwise.
if you want to experiment you could make a "rough sketch" animation, you can pirate the 3d software.

also
No human being can make a big animation project alone.
Maybe in the future with new technologies.
>>
>>2826809
>1200-1500 frames
Holy cow. Why are these people so dedicated? Are they insane?
>>
File: 087Pql9.jpg (67KB, 440x582px) Image search: [Google]
087Pql9.jpg
67KB, 440x582px
>>2826801

looks like basic rig animation to me.

Look, by combining both methods you either lose or lessen some benefits to one method or the other. You can hand touch some frame by frame animation on top of a rigged figure, but why would you want that outside of quick stiff looking animation loops.The point of rigging is to save time and cost. By going and drawing on top of it you are cutting into any gains you make.

I get you are looking to make something look good and keep invested time low. If you want to experiment with it go ahead, don't look for advice on a mongolian image board. Just draw and see for yourself what I am talking about.

Also, that skullgirls thing is true.
>>
>>2826811
I'm trying to see if I can mix diferent styles.

isn't anime pretty much limited animation that looks better than what americans do?

>>2826814
is called love and passion.
>>
>>2826817

> anime better than western animation

lol, ok sure buddy.

But you aren't looking to limit your self you are trying to get the best of both.
>>
>>2826821
I know anime is worse in technical terms than western.

but compare cal arts shit with generic animes, and you'll agree the anime is better.

Yeah, I want to get to a middle ground.
I do plan on even using 3D shit also.
>>
i'm interested in shortcuts to achieving quality animation too. my one thought was to make a rigged 3d model, and then do rendered shots of it in the various poses of like a walk cycle. then trace over those shots in photoshop or something to make it look 2d. i'm also interested in that technique they use in the guilty gear game, where they trace over the model within the engine, because obviously that would save me the time of manually tracing.
>>
>>2826817
>isn't anime pretty much limited animation that looks better than what americans do?
i don't know too much about american animation but superhero animations like amazing spiderman, batman or spawn movie are really well done in my opinion, i don't like to talk about shit i don't know about.

and anime isn't limited animation just check out Paprika or Redline
>>
>>2826829
>my one thought was to make a rigged 3d model, and then do rendered shots of it in the various poses of like a walk cycle.

this is a common practice

also this video is related to GGxrd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E
>>
>>2826826

Its simple, the US is just moving away from traditional animation as it is finding 3d animation is more in demand and more profitable. Whereas in Japan, traditional animation is more culturally rooted in its society so companies will continue to invest toward that as there is a demand for it.

As far as what you are trying to do, just experiment and see for yourself. This seems like one of those theory vs practice situations.
>>
>>2826836
yeah i guess it's too obvious not to have been thought of by someone. i don't think it's really super time saving either.
i have that video saved on my hd. it's too advanced for me right now though. i'm still building up to it by taking basic blender courses.
i need to learn more about the technology. i wish there were some way that I could load a 2d drawing in a t-pose into the 3d engine and have it translate that into a 3d model. i'm not sure what kind of intelligence that would require though. can't someone like john carmack figure this out? i'm thinking that if the drawing in t-pose were fully shaded in black and white, there should be some way that the 3d program can assign different coordinates in a 3d plane to each pixel depending on what the grey scale value of the pixel is.
>>
How about doing your animation on 3s and 4s instead of on 2s?

Actually if this is for a 60fps game, then that would be more like doing it on 6s.
>>
>>2826758
>>2826739
hi OP, this is somewhat common in the animation industry, actually. here's an series i worked on that does the same thing called Super Science Friends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjKGWvdSamQ

in the show, the face and body are rigged and the arms and legs are drawn frame by frame. there are some exceptions where the model is redrawn either partly or entirely, of course, but otherwise it was a fairly simple and streamlined process. the first episode doesn't have much in the way of action scenes, but the second episode (which should be coming out soon) had some fairly complex shots.
>>
>>2826739
I know what you mean, OP

Study vanillaware's games for better reference. I've been trying to emulate the style for a while and it's possible
>>
File: tumblr_mk0qxapcj41r8ououo6_250.gif (210KB, 212x184px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mk0qxapcj41r8ououo6_250.gif
210KB, 212x184px
>>2827409
Seconding Vanillaware, this type of thing is their signature
>>
>>2826758
>I want to ask:
>Is even possible to mix limited animation with traditional at the same time?

yes. tv shows do it all the time. i think theres clips of gravity falls that show when they do that
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.