[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A very large portion of my work is abstract. I was told to stay

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11

File: 908957934.jpg (38KB, 640x517px) Image search: [Google]
908957934.jpg
38KB, 640x517px
A very large portion of my work is abstract. I was told to stay away from here because I hear you guys favor technical abilities.

Am I one of the very few who believes a lot of abstract art done right can look really beautiful in exhibits and on walls, more so than traditional technical work.

I'd like /ic/'s opinion on my work.
>>
File: 4743987492.jpg (52KB, 640x544px) Image search: [Google]
4743987492.jpg
52KB, 640x544px
>>2815267
>>
File: fkirhgjgh84994.jpg (51KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
fkirhgjgh84994.jpg
51KB, 640x800px
>>2815270
>>
>>2815267
Your work is shit. You are trying to copy more established artists without understanding what makes them interesting and where they came from. You have no knowledge regarding composition, line weight, or your tools. And you are symbol drawing like a motherfucker.
There is a reason they call it "fundamentals". That shit is necessary even if you do not aim to do hyperrealistic oil paintings.

Abstract art can look great. But your shit is shit. Read the sticky.
>>
>>2815267
>A very large portion of my work is abstract.
What's the other portion?
>>
>>2815289

Okay, so why does my work sell in the thousands. I'm not taking this bait or re-reading the sticky. Your advice is comparable to that of a little child, all attack, no weight or depth. I think a lot of people avoid /ic/ due to people like you.

Any critique with "shit" or "motherfucker" is instantly disregarded, and not to be taken seriously.
>>
>>2815305
Motherfucker status: shit on
>>
>>2815308

I don't speak degenerate, what did he mean by this?
>>
File: doubt.jpg (16KB, 200x303px) Image search: [Google]
doubt.jpg
16KB, 200x303px
>>2815305
>Okay, so why does my work sell in the thousands.
>>
>>2815312
it means OP is BTFO
>>
File: urhtgyurhg555.jpg (51KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
urhtgyurhg555.jpg
51KB, 540x960px
>>2815318

Why does /ic/ and /pol/ get so angry at impressionism and abstract art?

My basic answer would be: Most people, by their very nature, have always been afraid of what they do not understand, identify with, and/or comprehend. It takes a lot of effort to try and truly understand something "new" to oneself. To try and absorb new ways of looking at life and thus the making of art is not as easy as some might think. It's much much easier to simply dismiss the actual "merit" of a thing, than to wrap your arms around it and delve into it.

So for whatever the reasons, i would say "fear" above all else.

Hopefully our evolution as open-minded beings of Earth in the stars is still a work in progress.
>>
>>2815322
meh, most people don't mind abstract art, it's just your work is very weak.
>>
>>2815322
As someone who likes abstract art, a lot of it isn't very good but you can't express why in concrete terms and going about it abstractly makes you look as foolish as the person who made it. It would be nice if we had words for why something is shit, but postmodern critique ruined that.
>>
File: january-6-2017.jpg (806KB, 775x1000px) Image search: [Google]
january-6-2017.jpg
806KB, 775x1000px
>>2815322
as someone who can what you are doing but better: fuck off.
>>
>>2815322

You sound like someone who would get angry if i put too much spinach dip on my cracker at your "critque" party.

And I know it's just you posting because it says only four posters in this thread. Many people have requested prints of my work, you sound very bitter. I can pick it up from the tone of your vocabulary.
>>
>>2815327

Too much color.

Trying to hard to be a "basquait".

Really falls apart towards the bottom half.

No composition.

The blues in the eyes do not bode well with the warm background mixtures.

Too many shapes, not enough space.

Would skip over immediately if i saw it in a exhibit or book. Very ugly to the eye.
>>
>>2815327

Look at me, i'm better then you.

You sound miserable mate.
>>
>>2815331
alright i can do this too
>>2815272
trying hard to be abstractly representative but no foundation so it's based on your already shitty abstract version of the human body

no understanding of texture or what your materials are capable of

literally trying to be basquiat

only values you have are white, splotchy black, and what looks like scratched in 2B pencil as hard and shittily and smudgily as you could

got your graphite covered fingerprints all over the paper.

sucks.
>>
>>2815339
im definitely miserable, but im also definitely better than you
>>
>>2815322
thais because /ic/ and /pol/ are the true vanguard of the white race.

TFW am a sandnigger who is a mudslime :(
>>
>>2815322
Dude. It's okay to be shit. We've all been it at some point. But when all you do is cry over that people don't "get you" or blame others for you not being able to express what you want to express with your shit, then you come across as a jackass.

You wrote in the OP that you wanted opinions. So stop the whining and ask yourself: "why do people dislike my shit?".
The only way you could possibly make it is if you find an answer to that question which doesn't revolve around everyone else being wrong.

And there is nothing wrong with abstract art. You are just bad at it. Which again is okay as long as you admit it to yourself.
>>
File: zdsjhgff767.jpg (30KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
zdsjhgff767.jpg
30KB, 640x480px
>>2815342

back at the better then you attacks. Did you know most successful impressionists come from a technical background?

I did this over 20 years ago, possibly before you were born judging by the way you speak.
>>
>>2815360

I'm not whining, but in the professional art field, any critiques with attacks, or swearing is immediately disregarded which is my point exactly. You all sound very immature. I haven't read one reasonably professional critique in my thread.

Which is what I'm asking for.
>>
>>2815366
your work is inspiring OP, blog? I want to draw like you one day, how many hours a day do you do?
>>
File: go away.jpg (8KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
go away.jpg
8KB, 250x250px
>>2815267
Sorry, but no one outside of (((high art))) circles actually takes abstract art seriously. It's what rich Jews pay art grad Jews for in a (not unsuccessful) attempt to undermine the rich artistic, cultural heritage of the west.

However, no one with any actual sense would ever mistake your childish, ugly pictures that are frankly unsettling to be anywhere on the same playing field as a real master.
>>
File: 1445115941840.png (750KB, 617x611px) Image search: [Google]
1445115941840.png
750KB, 617x611px
holy fuck this thread

op teach me how to ruse like you
>>
>>2815361
you used to be shit, and you're still shit. How do i not end up like you? Like what are your daily habits/lifestyle?
>>
>>2815396

This isn't a real critique either. If you can't write an actual comprehensive piece of criticism, than I completely disregard your opinion entirely. I'm still waiting for a geniune piece of advice.

>>2815383

Thank you, I would, but I'm not posting any links to my personal life or idenity here.

>>2815340

Closest post to an actual critique, but ruined with the slang at the end.

I think if most of you gave actual constructive feedback than people wouldn't dismiss your opinions and not get angry.
>>
>>2815366
Aight. Truly my honest opinion. Not trying to be mean or anything.

But it is impossible for me to give you any real critique because of the quality of your stuff. But I'll try.

In neither of the first 3 drawings you posted are anything which draws the eye and no trail for the eye to follow. It feels like the things you've drawn are placed out at random and without any though regarding composition.
So practice composition. Look at the old masters and how they thought regarding how to construct a image. All of the basics there can and should be applied on abstract art in some way. Also, the rule of thirds is your friend. It's easy and effective.

Your lines are lazy and lack any kind of character. This makes the drawings feel very flat and lifeless. Practice drawing lines so that you gain control over your pen and brush.

And when taking something from real life, like a human body, and trying to make it more abstract or stylistic, it's very important to have a fundamental idea about how the things you are trying to stylize actually looks like and work. You are not alone in being flawed in this. Most comic book artists have the same issues. Which then also results in their work being bad.

When working in coal: don't smear your fingers all over the drawing unless you have a specific purpose to do so. It ruins the contrasts of the image. Use a glove or a sheet of paper as protection.

Also. And I can't put enough emphasis on this. How you present your art matters. You can't take a low resolution image with your phone camera and not clean it up and expect people to treat you like a professional. Doing that is very arrogant and should be avoided at all costs. If you do not have access to a scanner, take the photos in as neutral light as possible. Preferable sunlight. Later you'll want to clean the image up a bit. Gimp is a free photo editing software that you can use to edit the values of your images and remove dust and shadows.
>>
File: tftffghjkl434.jpg (179KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
tftffghjkl434.jpg
179KB, 960x960px
>>2815415

Very constructive. Thank you. What about this piece.
>>
>>2815361
kek
>>
I think I've come to the conclusion that /ic/ is a technical circle jerk, who plays 6D chess in terms of feed back and criticism.

Muh scanners, muh stickies, talk about how shit everything is. The George Harrison has won awards at my art school, back in 92. I get the joke now, /ic/ is a joke of a board. /fa/ is to be taken more seriously then you guys.

You expect everything to be perfect, only point out flaws. Very effective critics and teachers like my self always point out the weak and strong in a piece. /ic/ does not, it's a joke of a board and will never be taken seriously due to the garbage 14 year old mentality. I am on 4chan so I don't know what to expect. Miserable, miserable board.

/b/ art threads contain higher intelligence than anything I've seen in this thread.
>>
>>2815419
I like it more. It has a bit of life to it. The painting would gain a lot if you had more confidence to your lines, though. And I think it could have used less lines in the middle of the face.
And the shadows on the face feels very messy and inaccurate. It could have done without any at all for a cleaner look.
It has some nice blacks, though. And I genuinely like the mouth.

But dude. You really should practice your fundamentals. Knowledge never hurts. Even knowledge about things that you won't use is good because then it will be a conscious decision when you don't use it.
>>
>>2815451

Thanks mate, keep up the great feedback.
>>
>>2815455
All feedback is great feedback. Especially the one that doesn't pull its punches. Because you know that that person owes you nothing and can be truly honest regarding their criticism.
/ic/ is great in that way. It forces you to take a step back regarding your art. No one is perfect and the faggots here loves to remind you of that.
>>
>>2815465

I can agree to an extent but if you read earlier feedback in the thread or a lot on the board, they resort to too much slang and attacks, or mine is better. I cannot take that seriously, sounds like a shitpost.
>>
Well
Someone has to make shitty artwork in order to know what great art looks like.

At least you're helping make great art look better.
>>
File: Bos_taurus.jpg (759KB, 811x895px) Image search: [Google]
Bos_taurus.jpg
759KB, 811x895px
I honestly stopped making this kind of... stuff, which some call "abstract" because at some point I feel I was mimicking some "artists" of the kind... but whatever when I used to do it, it was very relaxing, maybe I did it to relieve some stress, but yeah, I think this kind of stuff is completely shit. Nobody understands it but me, which for sure could be very autistic, so now I'm into more figurative works.
>>
>>2815475
kek
>>
>>2815469
I am

>>2815289
>>2815360
>>2815415
>>2815451
>>2815465

Every post I made had a purpose to keep you improving your art. Even the first one that you got angry at.
You can't get stuck up at words like "shit" or "motherfucker". Look for the constructive criticism in every post you get. For example. I did tell you in my first post to practice line weight, composition, and to get more experience with your tools. Just as I later did here >>2815415, just with more words.
>>
>>2815478
I like it. It's cute. But I can't tell if it's a couple of musicians or some really weird rendering of bestiality.
>>
>>2815444
I've received a lot of good critique here, and a lot of good advice regarding the use of media and resources.

You just have to know the board culture well enough to pose your questions in a way that doesn't turn off the people who are willing to put effort into helping you. (because that's what they're doing, taking time out of their day to help you by pointing out things that you yourself can't see)

If you act pretentious (like OP), they'll ignore you.

If your work is not of a reasonable quality (ie, it looks like you haven't tried your best, or there's simply too much you don't know for their critique to be helpful) and you're posting outside of the beginner thread, they'll ignore you.

If it just seems like you're fishing for compliments and not actually interested in improving, they'll ignore you.

Finally, if you create your own thread instead of posting in the draw or beginner thread (which is happening a lot more lately and really needs to stop), you are absolutely asking for shitposts. People who start threads for their own doodles are pariahs.

Also, if you feel like no one's giving good critique these days, why don't you go and try to help some people in the draw thread with some positive feedback. If you have time to complain, you have time to try to solve the problem.
>>
>>2815486
thanks, when I made it I was thinking on making a kind of ox or bull. But that's the main problem, is difficult to understand clearly the idea.
>>
>>2815478
I like this. It look like something that moms and grandmas would hang on their wall (not criticism, I just mean there's a market for it).
>>
>>2815491
It makes me think of two people in a horse suit, among other things.
>>
>>2815493
Kek, yeah, It could be
>>
>>2815495

maybe I made some kind of Rorschach test
>>
>>2815327
I gotta admit that's pretty cool
>>
>>2815327i like this
>>
>>2815478
i like it
>>
pretty good...to everyone on here..when you look at completely abstract art, what is there to see? technique, composition, tone, use of color/other elements. also uniqueness and innovation perhaps....so a lot of it is really left up to personal preference lets be real
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.