[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best way into pixel art for non pixel artists? I need to transform

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: portraitstest.png (150KB, 563x533px) Image search: [Google]
portraitstest.png
150KB, 563x533px
Best way into pixel art for non pixel artists?
I need to transform cartoony stuff into game art.
What is the best way to have it look good while spending the least time?
Basically there are two extremes:
- low res pixel art. Actually pretty hard and long because you have to use every pixel wisely, and it's hard to make curves look good.
- high res art. It becomes long because line art has to be very clean, so often people turn to vector or other techniques.

So I was thinking about something intermediary, pixel art with fairly high res so I can basically scale down normal res art, without spending too much time tweaking lines.
Pic related are some quick tries. The smaller versions are 128x128, the one above made with a pixel brush.

What are some refs about the different tradeoffs that can be made in that area?
Do you have any experience with it?
>>
>>2814689

Man, just use high-res pictures, downscale using closest neighbour, fix the pixels and call it a day.

That's what I used to do when making a vidya on RPGXP.
>>
>>2814698
Ok. Do you have any idea what size did you use for tiles?
Do you have a screenshot of your game?
Because I've done a little work for a RPG with 64x64 tiles, and this doesn't work at all (too low res). That's why I was thinking of going for 128 pixel tiles.
>>
>>2814698

IMO don't use nearest neighbor for downscaling, that should only be used for upscaling pixel art.

Downscale with a anti aliasing algorithm and convert to indexed color in Photoshop for a better result.
>>
File: sdsdsd.png (127KB, 968x502px) Image search: [Google]
sdsdsd.png
127KB, 968x502px
make your mouse pointer speed as slow as tolerably possible, this makes it easier to move from pixel to pixel and make lines

also just work over your picture with some transparency

other than that theres really no easy way but practice
>>
File: ram.png (3KB, 188x176px) Image search: [Google]
ram.png
3KB, 188x176px
>>2814708

This took me one minute with mentioned method.
It's rough but might be good enough for your purposes. Gives you a base to work with if nothing else
>>
>>2814718
If think my question might be unclear.
I'm the one making the art (so with a tablet, .
The thing is, I'm more comfortable making it full size and then downscaling, than making "true pixel art", because it's much faster and more fun.
But I want it to look good.

>>2814730
the issue with this method is that you need to clean outer edges for transparency. but then you get inconsistency between inner edges and outer edges, so either you clean everything, or it'll look mediocre.

thanks for your input y'all btw
>>
>>2814718
>enhance pointer precision checked in

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>2814732

Well there is no quick and easy way, but it's not wrong to work with full size drawings as a base. That's how they made the Street Fighter II sprites back in the 90's for instance, so it's not exactly a new technique. What you do if you want it to be clean is you do my method as a first pass and then you lower the opacity, create a new layer on top and then draw a new outline. You can keep what works from the source art and just erase what looks too rough.
I can guarantee that this is the fastest way to get a good result.
>>
>>2814751
I'll do that, thanks.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.