[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you use the Golden Ratio/Section/Rectangle/Spiral in art?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 11

File: Golden_Ratio.png (33KB, 1280x810px) Image search: [Google]
Golden_Ratio.png
33KB, 1280x810px
>>
>>2801654
its mainly used as a joke. Don't worry about it.
>>
>>2801655
can you elaborate pls?
>>
>>2801655
Hehehe but seriously.
>>
>>2801655
Its basically like the rule of thirds in a way. The closer you get to the center of the spiral the more detail you put since its the spot you want to have the viewers eye follow and end up at. Further out you can leave detail out a bit more
>>
>>2801676
that makes sense i guess.
>>
>>2801654
>he doesn't know how to use the golden ratio

kek you'll never make it
>>
It's apparently used by art historians to make themselves feel smart, mostly.
>>
>>2801654
Lesson 5, Johnny
>>
>>2801655

This but unironically.
>>
basically its rule of thirds. It's about creating a good composition
>>
File: addaa.png (8KB, 654x651px) Image search: [Google]
addaa.png
8KB, 654x651px
1) draw a star
2) get lengths of red and green

green is your a
red is your b

the ratio of a to b
is the same as the ratio of b to a+b
>>
>>2801934

just experiment with it and have fun

try making your your head face length in he golden ratio to the facial features

its not a meme guys if you dont get it doesnt mean that theres something wrong with NATURE
>>
>>2801654
The golden ratio is used to idealize proportions of things. It's used because using a system of halves/thirds/fourths/etc is too mechanical, this is more organic and it has this trick I am going to tell you about.

This part has to do more with composition, it's main "magic" comes from that the spiral is made of a series of rectangles with the same proportions but with different sizes (this is supposed to be visually pleasing). The diagonals for the two biggest rectangles meet at 90 degrees and form the diagonals for all the rectangles in the spiral and form a focal point where the spiral goes to infinity.

This stuff about rectangles repeating in infinite spirals is the basis of dynamic symmetry, dynamic symmetry is more versatile because you can use rectangles of any proportion. Dynamic symmetry was what what was used by most master artists in the past.

See my image, here is a rectangle that isn't a golden rectangle but I made it spiral infinitely, the spiral is made of ellipses and not circles though and looks really funky, I don't think people show these implied spirals much because they look really stupid (which may be why the golden spiral would be favored), the main thing is the focal point forth these though.
>>
File: 2e0ifDH.jpg (51KB, 500x402px) Image search: [Google]
2e0ifDH.jpg
51KB, 500x402px
>>
File: insert-kebab.jpg (115KB, 640x653px) Image search: [Google]
insert-kebab.jpg
115KB, 640x653px
>>
File: gold_wip.jpg (283KB, 776x1119px) Image search: [Google]
gold_wip.jpg
283KB, 776x1119px
It doesn't fit properly, that's why my art sucks.
>>
File: fix.jpg (236KB, 776x1119px) Image search: [Google]
fix.jpg
236KB, 776x1119px
>>2802253
fixed it
>>
File: 1483411633220.jpg (71KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1483411633220.jpg
71KB, 600x600px
Is this correct?
>>
>>2802362
Fuck no.
How did this pic even come to exist? It starts at and intersects completely arbitrary points.

It's called golden ratio because it's a number, 1:1.618 or smth.
It's a proportion used by nature to design distances and patterns. If you use it the way nature does, your designs will be more subconsciously appealing. Stephen Silver has a pretty good video on the topic.
>>
>>2801654
afterwards, to try and convince gullible retards of that pseudo science bullshit
>>
gurney writes a good series about why the golden ratio is bullshit on his blog
>>
>>2801975
Perfection made manifest.
>>
>>2802256
kek
>>
File: comp.jpg (790KB, 2039x1378px) Image search: [Google]
comp.jpg
790KB, 2039x1378px
When doing landscapes I use it like this, as a hierarchy guide I put the more important details on the darker areas and put less attention to the lighter areas.
>>
>>2801687
Also, as a rule of thirds the point is that it tends toward asymmetry and try to think of this in a general sense. If you have your image divided into two equal blocks, that is boring. How to make it more interesting? Have three blocks. Three is not an even number. Furthermore now you've got three equal blocks, what can you do to shake that up? Change their sizes. What now? Create a repeating pattern of ever asymmetrical boxes that shrink to infinity.

Thus you have the golden ratio. It's a spiral that perfectly balances simplicity and complexity and is natural necessity in nature.

Essentially you want all of the elements of your image to contrast one another, because contrast is asymmetry and asymmetry is interesting. Contras shape, texture, pose etc etc and in the most identifiable sense use the spiral as a path to lead the eye of the viewer because, again, that spiral shape is interesting.
>>
>>2801654
it's a meme m8. you aint ready.
>>
>>2801654
Use it for sizing and composition as a guide. If davinci used it then its legit.
>>
>>2801977
even as a joke, that's a pretty legit example. good job anon.
>>
>>2801936
man that pic is retarded lmao
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.