[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is practicing with pen and paper at work, mostly repetition practices,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

Is practicing with pen and paper at work, mostly repetition practices, a waste of time if I only draw digitally?
>>
>>2800445
no, drawing digitally is a waste of time. get your priorities straight faggot
>>
>>2800445
>"Is training my arms, brain and eyes a waste of time if I only draw digitally?"
fucking what
>>
this is a dumb thread
>>
drawing digitally is superior in every way
>>
>>2800482
I'm actually braindead while doing it because I'm bored to death at work. That's why I'm asking, what I'm basically training are my muscles, but the movements I make with a tablet may be very different because I'm a poorfag and don't own a cintiq or any big tablet.
>>
>>2800485
nice try. not gonna drink the b8erade
>>
>>2800485
Name one that isn't also considered a crutch.

>>2800486
You can just draw stuff laying on your table as a bunch of boxes and cylinders, see how accurately you can guess the distortion. That's probably the most effective use of your time.
If you're not feeling like it, you can still connect dots on paper, increasing distance after each successful stroke. Use a micron, an ink rollerball or anything that forces you to commit to your lines. Your digital drawings will thank you.
>>
>>2800493
i can do whatever i want in digital, you are either retarded or dilusional to think that traditional is better overall. It is better in getting more natural look and it is more comfortable but thats literally it.
>>
File: Peter-Han.jpg (8KB, 120x160px) Image search: [Google]
Peter-Han.jpg
8KB, 120x160px
>>2800445

You should be filling a sketchbook per month. You don't draw enough if you don't. Don't be like the rest of these faggots on this board, draw traditionally mainly. Your sketchbook should be in your hands at all times even when taking a shit. All about that mileage.
>>
Drawing is a waste of time
>>
>>2800495
>but thats literally it.
because you suck. never gonna make it
>>
>>2800495
>not experiencing a raging boner as your charcoal pencil leaves soft marks on your slightly textured paper
>not enjoying the absolute responsiveness of tools that you can touch, smell and use however you want
>instead drawing on a sheet of glass and using a bunch of algorithms as an intermediary between you and your drawing
The quality of a digital tablet is measured by how close it can get to simulating the traditional experience. It's a mere reflection.
Your drawings don't even exist anywhere, it's just a bunch of data anyone can copy or alter, you as an author are completely separated from it, except for some metadata hidden somewhere on your hard drive.
>>
>>2800500
is it all the ellipse practice that got you these dubs Peter?
>>
>>2800511
cool, digital fags still earn more money and that is the end of this topic.
>>
>>2800511
>Your drawings don't even exist anywhere
You are obviously so biased it hurts. They exist everywhere and everyone has access to them. They are the future because they will stay instead of some shit scribbled on some paper. As I said, you are delusional.
>>
File: 713HnVNFeFL._SL1500_.jpg (95KB, 1500x827px) Image search: [Google]
713HnVNFeFL._SL1500_.jpg
95KB, 1500x827px
>>2800547
why not both?
>>
>>2800511
>>not experiencing a raging boner as your charcoal pencil leaves soft marks on your slightly textured paper
>>not enjoying the absolute responsiveness of tools that you can touch, smell and use however you want

thank you. Even if you disregard any other arguments, those things are huge part of traditional arts charm. How can you do without them?
>>
>>2800570
lmao u fags are the same people that think books are superior to kindles because they smell better

i mean to each their own but you sound like a housewife who knits recreationally. this is the digital age where high quality art can be churned out of the meat grinder at maximum efficiency, unless you draw to destress or whatever
>>
>>2800547
My comment was a reaction to your slander of traditional media, that's it.
I'm interested in this future of yours -
will it include sketching people on a bus stop or at a café on your cintiq companion?
Will galleries all over the world get closed or will you just hang your prints there in high res?
Will 'sketchbook a month' practice become '1gb a month' practice?

Both media are the future and thinking either one can be replaced is what's truly delusional.
>>
>>2800601
Why do you draw, anon? Do you even like art or is it just a 9 - 5 work for you with focus on maximum efficiency?
Because you sound like the guy that prefers google street view over sports and traveling.
To me, paper is inseparable from what art and drawing means to me.
Try and find an unironically good artist that doesn't have a soft spot for traditional media.
>Huston, Vilppu, Robertson, Parker, Gurney...
Even Feng Zhu (who's heavily digital oriented) started with oils and often refers back to them when describing his thought process.
>>
>>2800542
>Digifag average commision price: $30
>Average watercolor drawing I've sold: $500
>>
>>2800445

No, drawing digitally is a waste of time.
>>
>>2800605
I wouldnt draw people when im out anyway, it is not fun for me.
>>
>>2800612
thats cool, a shame that you cant sell watercolor drawings that often but i guess you forgot about that. Also what are projects where you earn a lot more than 30$
>>
>>2800601
how can you argue with my subjective feeling about something? Are you ok? I like the facture, the smell of good book too, good example. It makes the experiance richer. If you are too simple for that, thats ok aswell. have screen to watch stuff, screen to read stuff and screen to draw stuff. You must be born after 2000 i guess, not your fault
>>
guys calm down I just wanted to know if I could practice without worrying
>>
>>2800445
Drawing with both is fine but traditional method is a better method for learning different holding methods. I was told that digital doesn't auto correct lines But through my eyes it does. Fun to use but I wouldn't use it if I wanted to get better at the fundamentals if I'm getting " a little help"
>>
>>2800627
Practice away, my man.

>>2800621
That's a shame. It means you have large blocks of time where you don't draw and that it might be difficult for you to invent figures that make sense, since you don't observe what people look like in their daily situations.
Reconsider it.

>>2800624
You. I like you.
>>
>>2800623
Hmm, I once painted a kitchen wall for one of my relatives. It was $1500.

I've been selling simple pencil portraits for $50 on plain A4 paper, not too much over $30, but it's easier and faster. People is willing to pay if you announce your prices beforehand.
>>
>>2800605

>le year 2386

My comment was a reaction to your slander of traditional media, that's it.
I'm interested in this future of yours -
will it include nano-synthesizing people on a starship hub or at a nutrition supplementary station on your Artistic Proton Arranger 18-KD companion?
Will galleries where prints are hung in high res get closed or will you just spontaneously project your created Mind-Image to viewers' minds through the Universal Telepathic Servers?
Will '1gb a month' practice become '1 high sensory virtual experience simulator a month' practice?

kek give me $$ when this actually happens, Future Hipsterfag will use a tablet for a charming traditional experience
>>
>>2800644
>trying too hard.

Paper has existed for thousands of years. I don't see it going anywhere soon.
>>
you guys going apeshit just because I mentioned I draw digital only and that's just a personal preference of mine

I imagine how worse I'd be if I had mentioned what exactly I'm practicing. This thread would be on fire right now.
>>
>>2800661
thread went offroad cuz the topic is retarded.
>if I could practice without worrying
dude.. what?
>>
File: 1467254834851.jpg (174KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1467254834851.jpg
174KB, 640x640px
>>2800661
what exactly are you practicing?
>>
>>2800672
The basic question is if the brain can transfer what I learned in paper to digital. Just that. I never did traditional because I always had a computer and tablet since little, so I just don't know.

>>2800674
I realized trying realism and stuff for practice made so all my girls look horrible. I just want to draw cute girls, so I printed a bunch of faces from a touhou artist I really like and I'm copying them to memorize the style. I'm literally filling pages with different "animu kawai" faces right now. For example I realized that all my time practicing noses was a waste of time, a flat triangle will look cuter 90% of time.
>>
>>2800680
>I printed a bunch of faces from a touhou artist I really like and I'm copying them to memorize the style

>Not being able to experiment and develop
>Not understanding how and why

Enjoy learning bad habits and being another cookie cutter copy cat
>>
Time to abandon another /ic/ thread. God you are all retarded
>>
>>2800682
>Not being able to experiment and develop
>Not understanding how and why
That's bullshit

>Enjoy learning bad habits and being another cookie cutter copy cat
whatever
>>
OP here.
3rd day of practice on paper and I found a problem.
Drawing on paper is so much better than drawing on a tablet despite being used to it for years and I don't want to go back. Why didn't I do this before, this feels much more natural and precise and everything. I wish a cintiq didn't cost as much as a car in my country.
>>
>>2800495
This guy speaks the truth; it's like day to night.

Though I do love my pencil and getting frisky with it. I much prefer studying (other than colors) using traditional.
>>
Obviously, the skills you learn traditionally will carry on between both mediums. I have had periods of time where I focused on digital for a couple months then focused traditionally a couple months and switched back and forth.

The only thing that doesn't really carry over is hand control. Like if I work on paper for too long and switched to digital my lines get really bad. BUT after a week or so of practice it goes back to normal.
>>
>>2800691
>cucking your own growth by copying another artist

hue
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.