[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you design a character. I'm currently stuck with

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: moebius.jpg (192KB, 786x1280px) Image search: [Google]
moebius.jpg
192KB, 786x1280px
How do you design a character.
I'm currently stuck with a faceless, empty character and I can't dress him.
I looked for Moebius' chara design because I want to make some sort of engineer but with a completely fantasy output, but not medieval or futuristic. Something you can't really put a period or time on.
>>
File: red_engineer_01.png (596KB, 526x826px) Image search: [Google]
red_engineer_01.png
596KB, 526x826px
>>2796087
Personally, I like to design from the inside out; as if I'm using the characters in a book or a story. I find it makes it easier when designing outfits, poses, accessories, etc. Most don't like this method but it works for me.

IMO in your case it would be better to establish what a singular esthetic of the characters 'goal' might be. Even though it has no time period (which could just translate to 'modern'), it has to have some kind of easily recognizable but universal base qualities (e.g. Engineer=tools, mechanical parts, oil/grime spots, schematics etc.) You could just pick an adjective or a noun and work off that if you want. Or you can establish a form and function and mess with them. Experiment. Simplify. Experiment some more.

Instead of starting with a mannequin, try doing really quick thumbnails and branch off that. Draw some prominent, but simple, shapes. Write down what they might carry on their person when leaving thier 'comfort' space. Are they pragmatic or flamboyant? What kind of engineering do they do? Do they take care of themselves or is their only goal in life to work? These things (and others) will affect how they are presented to the outside world.

Anyway, I hope it helps. Sorry for the long post and any English mistakes.
>>
>>2796171
Well in my drawing, the central point is a character stuck on the window of a building, at first I wanted to make some sort of thief, but while drawing I thought, what if I make him some sort of engineer/worker who is working on the facade of the building for some reason.

I thought about making him mainttained by cables, but overall I have an issue with th easthetic aspect.
I guess working with a more "scenaristic" approach might help. I'll try that. What tools does he uses, like you said.
>>
File: fac.jpg (1MB, 1596x2079px) Image search: [Google]
fac.jpg
1MB, 1596x2079px
Protips
>>
>>2797880
is this parody ?
>>
>>2797896
No, cartooning
>>
File: ss+(2016-12-30+at+08.28.35).jpg (160KB, 1095x798px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-12-30+at+08.28.35).jpg
160KB, 1095x798px
Here you go OP
>>
>>2796087
With purpose, culture and personality.
First you define that, then you soak yourself in reference and research, then you start experimenting.
Eventually all of this will be distilled into a character, there you have it.
>>
>>2797880
that doesnt look like a truck driver
>>
>>2797880
This is satire on the mechanics of character design, right?
>>
>>2797880
>"Need a truck driver?"
>"Yeah!"
>"Cool, sit back and I'll teach you how to draw a farmer/darts player/Del Boy"
>>
>>2800245
Why? Those are legit protips
>>
>>2798775
>>2800245
>>2800294
Well the book is probably from the 50s or something
>>
>>2796087
>I want to make some sort of engineer but with a completely fantasy output, but not medieval or futuristic. Something you can't really put a period or time on.

You are going to need to look at real life reference to get good ideas otherwise you'll get blandness. Questions to consider: What does he build? What tools does he need for that? What clothes does he need for that? What are the most similar things to that in the real world that you can use as reference? Then you can get creative by adding a contrasting theme from something that is normally not associated with engineers.

Silhouette and negative space for the actual design are really important too unless you like the bloated uninteresting space marine look.

>>2797880
The Famous Artists Cartoon Course is amazing but that's probably the worst page in the whole thing.
>>
>>2796087
I think Jazza can help you with this, but I'm pretty sure you've already looked at his videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrawWithJazza/videos

Sorry if I'm not helping.
>>
Have a look though this. There are a ton of categories and almost all of it is really good.
https://www.pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.