[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VR painting is going to replace 2d painting faster than anybody

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: goro fujita.webm (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
goro fujita.webm
3MB, 800x450px
VR painting is going to replace 2d painting faster than anybody thought.

if you begin learning it right now, you'll get a place in the industry as easy as the guys that began doing digital painting in the late 90's, despite everbody saying it was nonsense.
>>
>>2789673
I'm learning VR right now, but i really don't think it will replace 2d painting in my lifetime.
>>
>>2789673
VR painting would be amazing for animation. No more rigs and their limitations, it'll be like traditional animation but with sculptures.
>>
>>2789673
New techniques don't replace old ones. They get added to the old ones and are used when applicable. Do VR painting if you like it, but its not like its something you have to learn. Even learning digital 2d painting isn't strictly necessary.
>>
>>2789685
This. Are there any vr animation programs yet?
>>
>>2789673
this looks much more intuitive than 3D modeling. the art looks kind of chunky though right now too and maybe not so precise? it'd be nice if it had features like lasso tool and fill tool and if you could get different stroke types.
>>
File: tumblr_n2qrnhCxYF1twpqixo1_1280.jpg (166KB, 680x530px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n2qrnhCxYF1twpqixo1_1280.jpg
166KB, 680x530px
>>2789673
>>
>>2789673
not gonna learn it but it'll be fun exploring worlds other people make like those map editor in old ps1 games then swapping memory cards.
>>
>>2789699
Yes. But it's in its basic stage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WlG5VfRKug
>>
>>2789673
when those will become cheap enough to be in every house
>>
>>2789673
Not seeing much of a practical application here. I mean, this is no new technology, it's a glorified level editor for a video game. How the viewer sees it is the new technology. So the process will remain the exact same. Artists come up with the designs, mood, lighting etc in 2D, the programmers do the 3D modelling and level design only now with VR in mind. That gimmicky shit in the video seems rather useless.
>>
>>2789711
is that Bubbles?
>>
>>2789673

I'm not easily impressed but that's fucking cool as shit, mang
>>
>>2789673
no 3d is the next generation dumbass. get your vector together shit fuckin ' faggot.

/ic is honestly a fucking antique thread with autists obsessing over traditional art, it's laughable. fuck you.
>>
>>2789673
>VR

dead meme
>>
>>2789799
Concept artists have been using 3D since forever, not sure how this is anything "next generation". Also, why do you sound so angry and frustrated? Shouldn't you be happy the less people learn 3D, so you have less competition? It always confuses me when people react this mad over something that in theory should be a huge benefit to them. Almost makes me think that they themselves don't quite believe in what they are saying.
>>
who will be the mullins of VR painting
>>
>>2789874
No one. VR paintings would essentially all look the same except for the varying degree of realism vs stylization. Impressionist brush strokes, edge control, implied detail and shit like that can't translate to VR.
>>
>>2789877

Maybe but we can't know that for sure. Regardless the whole VR thing needs to hurry the fuck up with progress.
>>
>>2789799
This really only applies to concept art, since having the artist sculpt the 3d model and concept at the same time saves studios money. But really, as long as you have the design sense and fundamentals down enough to make a sweet design, it wont matter whether your medium is 3D, sculpture, digital painting or traditional, as long as you can give your client/boss what they want.People who want you for your skill will work with you. Though I will say the most popular method is going to be digital 2D or traditional/digital mix, since digital doesn't have to dry/be fixed and you can do something like change a character's hair color/style extremely quickly.

And all of those skills you gain that people hire you for? Guess how you start building them up? If you guessed drawing in 2D traditionally (rarely completely digital) you'd be right. Remember that those "autists" still have to make all of those 3D forms and perspective decisions on a 2D plane. And if you practice enough time isn't really a factor anymore anyways, since you'd be so fast nobody would give a fuck (example being someone like Kim-Jung-Gi)

Also gotta agree with >>2789870 , you're either a very stupid concept artist out to make himself feel superior to a bunch of anons (not even other professionals), or you're just another anon being a huge faggot for attention and talking shit about things he just barely understands.
>>
>>2789877
Not yet but that gives me some ideas anon thanks
>>
>>2789877

No they wouldn't. The vid in OP refutes your claim since it is very clearly in Goro Fujita's signature style
>>
It honestly looks really cool. I'm excited to see how it develops as more people get the hang of it.
>>
>>2789870
They don't, they're "trolls" This is the internet and you are on 4chan.
>>
>>2789980
Well, I already said there's room for difference in art styles. But the moment you give the audience the ability to view what you "painted" from any possible angle and zoom levels, all conventional painting techniques used to lead the eye become useless. Implied detail, edge control and loose brushwork for example are used to lead the eye away from unimportant areas towardards the focal points. But in this VR thing, you are no longer the one who decides which areas are unimportant. The viewer can look anywhere he wants, thus everything needs to have the exact same amount of detail and sharpness of edges.

Hence an artist like Mullins who relies heavily on these things could no longer distinguish himself from any other artist based on his impressionist-esque painting technique, only on stylization of shape design like what Goro is doing.
>>
>>2790010
Shut up nerd you don't make art
>>
File: received_1297487880310399.jpg (16KB, 474x456px) Image search: [Google]
received_1297487880310399.jpg
16KB, 474x456px
I don't think vr painting will take over 2d painting. But there's a recent trend of panoramic painting that seems very promisig as the the next step in illustration/concept art
>>
>>2790065
panoramic painting is a gimmick to get likes on facebook, what commercial application does it have that a normal picture wouldn't be better/quicker for?
>>
>>2790067
I was thinking it could be applied to 'simulate' gameplay in, say, different areas in a game. It would actually be very quick, since you would do the painting. Then make a hud, map it to the camera, stick the camera within the panorama, and easily within a day you have an idea of how a level will look and feel without having to spend time 3d modeling specific assets that might never be used.
>>
>>2789673
But I still don't really paint digitally. Mostly oil, murals as well. Hasn't been an issue for me.
>>
>>2790065
Dog
>>
>>2790099
That's not a dog
>>
>>2790010
truth

haven't we been making 3d environments for decades? what is the revolution that I'm missing here, the ability to explore Ocarina of Time with a headset?

It's awesome but not going to directly compete with 2D painting
>>
>>2789705
is there already an equivalent to photoshop for vr?

reminder that ps dates from 1988 and it didn't even have layers until six years later, in ver 3.0
>>
>>2789883
>>2789870
you're not going to make it.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.