[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's say I am one year into serious drawing. How can

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Let's say I am one year into serious drawing. How can I get any money then?
>>
By drawing pictures for people who will pay you for them

If you have to ask this you will never ever ever have to worry about it
>>
>>2787788

What does it mean? If you would spend 1h making some basic research on /ic/ and /gd/, you'd see that there's a fuckton of different stuff people put into "seriously training drawing", "being good", "working as an artist".

Putting aside graphic design, there are people working as illustrators (subset: children's book), character/environmental/asset/industrial designers (all different things), people going freelance with traditional paintings, guys trying their luck with art galleries, animators etc. ad infinitum

All require different subset of skills, for example if you are industrial designer you would want really sound drafting skills and knowledge of perspective, while for concept art you'd like to know as much as possible about working fast, paintovers, photobashing, working with Photoshop etc.

Doing academic drawing impresses no-one these days. Making the bust in 3D program is something else, but again: there are riggers, people from textures...
>>
>>2787795
>>2787797
I was training in portraits. Can I do something with that or not really
>>
>1 year

What do you mean by 'serious drawing'? I considered daily drawing with a conscious effort to improve rather than just doodles 'serious drawing' but someone else might think of it like 8 hours a day.

Post your work, I'm gonna assume you're still pretty mediocre. If you are, odds are you won't be making much commission money yet unless you really shill yourself, furfags pay for terrible art sometimes.

If you get moderately competent at a painted medium some people will pay you for even a relatively shit pet portrait and love it. bitches love pet portraits.
>>
>>2787797
>Doing academic drawing impresses no-one these days.

Anon, have you ever seen normies swoon over someone draw a realistic eye? Happens all the damn time, /ic/ is the exception in shitting on photorealism.
>>
>>2787933

Oil or watercolor/gouache portraits can be sold fairly well, but I doubt that in 1 year you can get good enough to sell much/any of yours.

Also it won't be a main source of your income, only supplementary one until you will build a following/proper networking. Best bet would be trying to sell those through art gallery/shop.

If you have no respect for yourself, you can try those speed-portraits/caricatures in tourist cities, but it is kinda...yeah...

>>2787946

This doesn't translate to monies. Nobody buys photorealism unless you are really, really well known.

Not to mention that photorealism is just fucking bad source of money because you work much, much more hours even with basic stuff than in the case of even classicism.
>>
What can I do if I do digital painting only?
>>
>>2788010

What kind of digital painting? What is your workflow?

Digital painting is very useful for all kinds of concept art, but to be successful concept artist you have to, besides solid portfolio, have proper workflow.

That is, don't fear photobashing, 3D, overpaints, have a set of custom brushes, work with proper perspective grids etc.

It's all about being fast with delivering proper presentation of an idea.

See at requirements for onepixelart studio:

http://onepixelbrush.com/hiring/
>>
>>2788019
>http://onepixelbrush.com/hiring/
kek
Their stuff looks like shit.
>>
>>2788028

They are hired though by companies though, they have pretty long list of AAA games they did concept art for.

Sorry, but concept art is not illustration. It doesn't have to be pretty - it hast to communicate idea clearly and be made FAST and shiny.

Look at the video about concept art that Robertson has, he uses so many hacks to make concept art that it's not even funny.
>>
>>2788019
digital painting is also useful for illustration which I'd like to do.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.