[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I can't even begin to fathom how to draw faces. I'm

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1469896807723.jpg (170KB, 640x781px) Image search: [Google]
1469896807723.jpg
170KB, 640x781px
I can't even begin to fathom how to draw faces.
I'm slowly learning how to draw bodies, I enjoy using the method consisting of going from a curve to a figure (I think it's from Hampton ?)

But I really have a hard time with faces. I cold draw simple stylized faces for men, but it doesn't work for women, and anyway I want to have my own style for faces.

I'm not asking for .pdf, or books, but just how did you learn ? Using references isn't helping much because I don't really understand how the eye should be done for example.
>>
If you want to be taken seriously, dont post such garbage pics as pic rel, because you seem like a total fucking retard.
>inb4 couldnt find anything else
yeah, sure, its better to post some whore instead of a nice painting you can find in a second.
>>
draw lots of faces

understand how they work in 3d space

realize that it takes time to learn

use the beg thread
>>
>>2781586
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RmHOvmPJjE
>>
>>2781590
thanks for your very useful post

>>2781593
gonna look into that thanks

>>2781592
it's very hard to convey expression with something very theorical
>>
Who is this boner donor
>>
If you know the basics, it's just a matter of practice. Look up some photos of celebrities or something so you know you're getting not just facial features that look human, but look like your specific subject.
>>
>>2781610
I would give you a useful post if you werent such an imbecile. Now get the fuck out, you wont make it anyway
>>
>>2781610
>it's very hard to convey expression with something very theorical
That's what repetition is for. Stop talking about it and just do it. Loomis
>>
>>2781586
Learn to draw the standard loomis/handsome squidward face with ideal proportions and then learn caricature. The better you get, the less exaggerated the features can be while still maintaining likeness. It's the same with gesture.
>>
>>2781786
nice satire

>>2782226
>>2782235

So I first have to grind Loomis' faces ? I thought they were just a tool to understand how faces works.

Yeah I guess practicing is better than posting, I have his pdf, I'm going to practice
>>
>>2781610
Look into how deaf people communicate, their expressions and punctuation are all on the eyebrows or head position/movement. (Eyebrows raised for surprise or "smashed" for questioning)
It's usually eyebrows > head > mouth > rest in form of how much it affects expression, after eyebrows it's all just detail or to add a bit more, but it can work alone.

But like others said, it's all on practice, go on /s/ or something and get pictures that focus on face and expression and go from there.
>>
Use a 4h pencil and draw the linework of the face, interpret shadows that approach a certain threshold of darkness as if they are lines. Because you're using a light pencil don't worry about having to erase, just keep drawing and erasing until the line work is proportionally accurate. The way to fuck up a face is by messing up the proportions or placement of facial features. Just keep working the line work until it's as accurate as you can possibly get it. It doesn't have to take forever, but it's okay if it does. Be willing to scrap your attempt and grab a new piece of paper and start over, but keep working until you have good line work.

Later I like to transfer my sketch onto higher quality paper by tracing or doing the charcoal carbon copy method. At that point I have my line work all sorted out and the new paper is undamaged and will hold the medium I'm using. Then begin shading. If you have good line work you can have resemblance regardless of how good your shading is... To improve your shading techniques watch youtube videos
>>
>>2781610
do what old disney animators did and get a small mirror for your desk for you to make faces at
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.