[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is drawing at least 6 hours per day actually a meme? I mean,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

Is drawing at least 6 hours per day actually a meme? I mean, it's important to understand what you are doing but can it be achieved with longer sessions?
>>
yeah it's a meme, you should be doing closer to 8
>>
>>2779387
anything below 10 is a waste of time tbqh
>>
>>2779390
10? I see your eating and grooming yourself like some shitter who isn't gonna make it. Try 12
>>
>>2779385
8-12 is ideal.
>>
>>2779385
i suggest drawing for two-hour (120 min.) long chunks, taking a recovery break after every hour.

these breaks can be anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes depending on your ability to concentrate.

Don't take a break if you feel like you can keep going though. Stop working if you notice you aren't paying attention. The idea is to know how long you can go, than increase it gradually over time.

flow state might kick in, let it take you as far as possible.

> it's important to understand what you are doing but can it be achieved with longer sessions?

if you spend 16 hours trying to figure out how hands work, you never need to do it again.
>>
No, understanding is almost never achieved by doing things for a long period of time past a certain age.

If you spend more than 31-n^5 seconds between 8 hour sleep cycles, your neurons start backfiring and you can actually regress im your ability as yoir mind struggles to make sense of erroneous data.
For most people, n is their age, but it can vary by up to 20% (the same as metabolism, hurr genetic obesity is a meme), and I think adderal had a positive impact, but I forgot.

Overstressing your brain in such manner can also lead to depression, apathy or neurosis because your brain literally can't understand whay is happening.
>>
>>2779403
Neurophrenologist here, this man is completely wrong and sufferening from an overstressed brain due to lack of practice.

>>2779398 is ideal, though it depends a lot on how much you are applying what you've studied.
>>
>>2779403
Meant (31-n)^5
I'm already too far gone

I'm gonna forget how to shitpost soon
>>
>>2779405
>social science major took dynosyncretic neurophrenologia 101 because it's easy credit
>thinks he's a neurophrenologist
KYS
Y
S
>>
>>2779406
(31-32)^5=(-1)^5= -1
????
we into negative time now
>>
>>2779419
>32
>doesn't even realize he is activelly forgetting things
You should be outside enjoying the last couple of years before you are put into a home
>>
>>2779429
i'm not 32, just gave it as example, cz every even number over 31 gonna get you a negative result
what did i miss?
>>
>>2779385
It's not a meme, i swear. Just look at all these /ic/ savants drawing 8 hours a day every day and making amazing progress!
>>
Seems like every post in every thread is ironic nowadays. This whole thread is a really good reason to not come to /ic/ for anything but books and references, OP

More hours than less is ideal up to a point, as long as it doesn't harm your health. Drawing 40 hrs/week is a very good amount of work to put in, assuming it is focused mindful study and not just doodling. If you spent 3 months drawing things from life, especially a skull/head model if you have it, you would be amazed at the progress you made.
>>
8-12hours is what I do.. almost every day, I do allow myself to watch a movie or play games or read though, but that's not every day. If you are a neet 8hours+ is perfectly doable with a lot of time for yourself too. Just make sure you both study and do stuff from imagination
>>
>>2779589
This so much. Litereally everyone on /ic/ claims to be doing atleast 8 hours a day yet so few people are making actual progress. Are all these people just lying and trying to stroke their ego or are they just studying ineffectively?
>>2779684
How long have you been putting in that much time? Post progress?
>>
How can you draw for more than 2 hours? After them my hand hurts even when I take brakes every 45 min for at least 10 min. It just seems not possible.
>>
>>2779387
Let's see your 8 hour a day talent faggot. You don't have shit worth posting so STFU.
>>
>>2779390
Faggot #1
>>
>>2779397
Faggot #2
>>
>>2779429
Faggot #3
>>
I don't even know how much time I spend drawing since my mind is in this constant weird equilibrium between active drawing, passive drawing and procrastination and it jumps from one state to another dozens of times. In part due to the fact that I can't concentrate without music/audiobook/podcast/tv show in the background and those things both soothe AND distract.

But, generally speaking, if the thought of sitting on your ass for weeks doing nothing but art/activities that set you up for doing art repulses you and forces your mind to try and rationalize NOT doing that, then art is not for you.
>>
>>2779699
>>2779700
>>2779702
>>2779703
you mad you can only do 30min a day?
>>
File: progress.jpg (519KB, 1000x830px) Image search: [Google]
progress.jpg
519KB, 1000x830px
>>2779690
Ehmmm 2,5 years now. It started with full days, wake up-bedtime of mostly studying untill I went to a shitty artschool for a year. It was like 6-8h a day then inbetween classes, during traveling etc.. After that I did a year at an atelier which was great and full long focused days with great teachers and great company. Now I'm neating untill I continue there in august.

But yeah April 2014 untill now... Best comparison I have since the setting is similar.
Not the greatest improvement as some people have, but one I'm happy with.
>>
>>2779727
right on man. Pretty decent progress and props for actually posting work. Keep going!
>>
>>2779727
What's your end goal, anon?
>>
>>2779696

get over it.
>>
>>2779398

Actually this, but in my opinion if you aren't "in the zone", it's good to even force yourself to abandon canvas/paper and go back to it after a while just to have "fresh" look on it, look at it from distance/squint for thumbnail.
>>
>>2779696
I have Carpal tunnel, some days it get's that bad too, Get a good brace or just take your breaks, most of my problems were solved when I changed from a tiny shitty bamboo tablet to the huge intuos pro L.

>>2779730
Thank you! : )

>>2779735
Ehmm just getting as good as I could possibly get and make paintings that look believable and can be true, even if they are fantasy.
I want to make big illustrations in oils while earning my money doing freelance digital work. But it's going to take years untill I get there.
>>
>>2779727
H-hi Ven!
>>
16hrs a day FZD, or you'll never make it.
>>
>>2779863
It is literally impossible to get any meaningful improvement from drawing more than 4 hours, let alone 16. Feng Zhu just thinks of it as grinding
>>
>>2779879
wellll one part is grinding though... Thoughtful grinding
>>
>>2779863
>16hrs a day

the only time you should ever do 16 hours nonstop is if you're doing something mindless that requires turning your brain OFF like rendering a painting.
>>
>>2779913
>thoughtful grinding
never heard of it but I can believe it when I see it
>>
>>2779879
>It is literally impossible to get any meaningful improvement from drawing more than 4 hours

nigga what

4 hours is minimum. 6-8 is optimal
>>
An hour per day of laser targeted focus studies will reap more benefits than working 8+ hours doing mindless art and not analytically thinking about what you are doing. If you are going to work 8+ hours on art, break it down in chunks and don't go full retarded by sitting there in one sitting.
>>
>>2779879
NOT GONNA MAKE IT
>>
File: december-12-2016-1.jpg (436KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
december-12-2016-1.jpg
436KB, 750x1000px
>>2779385
i mean... 6 hours is 6 hours. but you've gotta be drawing the right thing. if you spend 6 hours drawing your hands in a mirror, it's 100% better than spending 3 hours, but 6 hours drawing from your imagination is useless. 6 hours drawing from photos is useless. 6 hours fucking around is useless.

you'd be better served spending as much time as you can spare drawing from life doing studies similar to these.
>>
>>2780301

STALE MEME

GOD this board is so useless do I have to literally make every meme around here?
>>
So uh, how the hell do you even know what to draw?

You guys are always talking about drawing for like 6 hours a day but I don't even know what to draw for like 10 minutes a day
>>
>>2780308

You see stale memes because your posts are stale.

Be more creative in the shit you post and you'll get a different reaction.
>>
>>2780307
>but 6 hours drawing from your imagination is useless

I completely disagree on that point and I think most pros will as well.
You get better at what you practice. Want to get better at drawing from imagination? Gonna have to do a fuck ton of it then.
1 hour of studies and 5 hours of implimenting what you learned into imaginative work is more beneficial than doing only studies.
The whole idea that you should be doing only studies in order to improve is incredibly toxic
>>
>>2780323

This should be my words I don't know why you are speaking on my behalf.
>>
>>2780338

Because it's an open board discussion. I am not sure if you have noticed.
>>
>>2780344
Open board doesn't mean you're allowed to speak for me. What part of that do you not understand? The part where it says "for me" or the part where it says "for me?" or both?
>>
>>2780307
Is that your routine? Post work so we can the result.

There's a lot of shit artist ass pulling around here. Not saying you're one of them.

Just post your work.
>>
>>2779706
Merc me or kill yourself.
>>
>>2780318
Just start with life drawing. Draw anything around you.

Draw something from imagination. Hm, what do you struggle with most? For example, I don't have good line control. So, focus on line control exercises, and use this as a good opportunity to practice freehand perspective.

Doodling for fun is also good as it helps build routine.
>>
File: 1481004095264.jpg (119KB, 732x799px) Image search: [Google]
1481004095264.jpg
119KB, 732x799px
>>2779387
>>2779390
>>2779391
>>2779397
not gonna make it
>>
is doing ms paint draw requests on /a/ an hour a day capable of improving me.
>>
>>2779385
It's not the length of time, it's the quality of the time.

If you spend 6hrs a day drawing the same thing over and over again, and never working on your faults, then you'll still be shit.

If you spend 2hrs a day, but you can hone in on all your problems, and have godlike ability to see what you need to practice and then practice it... then you'll be much better off.
>>
Much better to do a sustainable pace.
If you do 8hrs a day, but you give up on day 2, that's only 16hrs of practice.
If you do 2hrs a day, but keep it up all year, that's like 700hrs of practice.
>>
>>2781530
Well said anon. It's really that simple ya'll. NOT EASY, but simple. Stay focused, take action.
>>
File: 1392091168085.jpg (84KB, 900x530px) Image search: [Google]
1392091168085.jpg
84KB, 900x530px
>less then 16 hours
are you even trying?
>>
>>2783511
they are ugly as fuck
>>
>>2783514
That's why he needs so many of them.
>>
>>2781532
I agree with a sustainable pace, and yes 2 hr of productive practice > 6hr of nonproductive practice.
But.. It's not the same if every painting you do takes at least 60hours and can go up to 100 or more, and if you study next to it. ( I study 50% of the time and work from imagination which is partly studying too ) you end up making some huge hours very fast. But I think this is also something that has to do with dedication. I can't imagine somebody who really wants to make it spend only 2 hours a day drawing, unless they have a job or school during the day.
I don't say you should spend 12 hours a day drawing. Just 2 is very little..
>>
>2 hr of productive practice
>2hr
>productive practice
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.