[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Its another "ic recommends book they never studied themselves"

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 11

File: r1385324_19654578[1].jpg (36KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
r1385324_19654578[1].jpg
36KB, 700x467px
>Its another "ic recommends book they never studied themselves" episode.
>>
File: 1461262655558.jpg (61KB, 490x490px) Image search: [Google]
1461262655558.jpg
61KB, 490x490px
>>2778766
>he fell for the book meme
>>
>"Here anon, read all these books that I grabbed from a list I saw in a thread"
>"Did they help you at all?"
>"lol idk I never read them"

Meanwhile some of greatest artists I look up to never heard of Loomis in their fucking lives.
>>
>>2778766
>It's another "lets get mad a things that only happened in my head" episode.
>>
Then don't follow /ic/s advice, better yet stopping samefagging this board
>>
>>2778785
And what are you gonna do about it fuckboy?
>>
>>2778784
>it's another assmad d/ic/khead getting btfo episode
>>
File: LOOMIS.png (993KB, 764x956px) Image search: [Google]
LOOMIS.png
993KB, 764x956px
make sure to read your loomis
>>
File: Bc6AKgr.jpg (352KB, 2477x3500px) Image search: [Google]
Bc6AKgr.jpg
352KB, 2477x3500px
>>2778779
>pic related my favorite artist
>>
>>2778816
Your mom is favorite artist.
What she did to my dick can only be called a masterpiece
>>
>>2778825
>What she did to my dick can only be called a masterpiece

I'll have to agree. Most people aren't able to see something that small, much less handle it.

Like painting on a grain of rice.
>>
It's another "/ic/ making a whining thread instead of contributing to actual discussion and content" episode.
>>
I've read through every book I've recommended and drawn most of the shit out of them too.

Oh wait

>It's another "ic projects their failures onto others while seeking validation" thread.
>>
File: heh.jpg (135KB, 1600x990px) Image search: [Google]
heh.jpg
135KB, 1600x990px
>>2778803
>I own the book therefore I have read it

Jokes aside I think /ic/ is being pretty objective. The Loomis hype is mostly a meme.

I use Color & Light as a red flag
>>
>>2778796
hide this thread and move on. cuck
>>
File: FunnyJokeHaha.jpg (91KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
FunnyJokeHaha.jpg
91KB, 1000x750px
>>2778890
>>
>>2778890

I don't understand why people recommend Gurney. Huevaluechroma and "How to Render" is better and a lot more comprehensive for color and light and for actual color studies Hornung proposes exercises that are simply nice.

The only thing I really got from Gurney was info about toxicity of pigments and some minor data about proposed palettes.
>>
>>2778897
I have it too in print. It's a terrible book that was hyped by Gurney's little circle of bloggers and friends into popularity. It doesn't teach anything except the most vague summary of notions. Most of it is full-page artwork with no didactic value. How to Render is miles better.

>>2778899
>I don't understand why people recommend Gurney. Huevaluechroma and "How to Render" is better
Gurney is a great marketer.

>>2778899
>The only thing I really got from Gurney was info about toxicity of pigments and some minor data about proposed palettes.
I learned that stuff from

http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/palette1.html

It's a bit outdated but quite complete
>>
File: 1397161383359.jpg (25KB, 261x284px) Image search: [Google]
1397161383359.jpg
25KB, 261x284px
>It's another "Anon wants everything handed to him and doesn't want to put in any of the work" episode.
>>
I'm sick of fucking books, they aren't helping me at all. Can you guys recommend me some grindy exercises to do to git gud?
>>
>>2778901

Yeah, generally I think this is a problem with lots of art resources - they either aren't very educational and in easy way with ton of examples don't hand basic info that is everywhere, OR they aren't painal and specialized enough, with lots of errors and just false info. I still can't shake the image from my head of light distribution on a sphere from Loomis "Figure Drawing" and how it actually looks like (huevaluechroma or mentioned Robertson) and I don't mean only placement of highlight, but also light bouncing.
>>
>>2778906

Get a cast of a head or just print some high-res (8 MP and more) reference photo with good lighting (best if from one source) on huge format and then spend 20h+ getting values and proportions right.
>>
>>2778912
So should I do the Bargue course or basically just taking a good image and copying it?
>>
File: 1472415603800.gif (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1472415603800.gif
3MB, 480x360px
>>2778906

Anyone can recommend all the exercises you want, but if you don't understand or are thinking about what you're doing, it wont matter.

Drawings not like leveling up in a video game; Drawing "10000 gestures" isn't going to magically make you proficient at drawing gestures.

Honest question to you and others who are not fond of the books, when you see their work, do you not think they know or have a firm grasp and understand of something you don't? I genuinely want to know what they do, not every book will be a goldmine, but when you find that like minded author, connections are made and gears start turning it makes all the time worth it.

All the hard work is done for you, just put in the time. I don't understand this phobia of books. Please tell why they're not working for you, I'm just curious.

Before anyone asks, I'm shit and I know I'm shit. However, I don't go around telling others its their fault I'm shit. It's only a matter of time before I 'get gud' and I'll be in it for the long haul.
>>
>>2778931
I'm a beginner too and I feel like books don't do shit for me. Okay, they give some good insight, but that's it, that's just 5% of the work.

Let's take Loomis, okay, thanks to him I know that the ideal proportions are 8 heads, I try to draw a man using all of his proportions and tips and it comes out still shit. Why is this? Because drawing needs exercise and grinding, that's it all, you can know all the theory of this world and still be shit, on the contrary you can train like a madman and assimilate the theory books give.

Not saying they are totally useless, it's just that at my level what I need is doing exercises, and yet people keep memeing with Loomis here and Loomis there
>>
>>2778937
if all you got from reading Loomis was "I know that the ideal proportions are 8 heads". Well, you dun goofed.
>>
>>2778766
Silly OP, that's why you ask anons to post their work: that's the fastest way to see if advice you're reading have any value.
>>
File: gitgud.png (2MB, 720x2127px) Image search: [Google]
gitgud.png
2MB, 720x2127px
>Its another "ic still doesn't know the fastest and best way to git gud" episode.
>>
>>2778961
Post your art.
>>
File: 9251.jpg (59KB, 892x882px) Image search: [Google]
9251.jpg
59KB, 892x882px
>>2778967
>>
>>2778961
that image is a half baked meme. Half those books don't even have exercises.
>>
>>2778906
drawabox xD
>>
>>2779010
drawabox is like a book but worse
>>
>>2779000
>half
Actually only 2 of those have exercises, the rest assumes you to be clever enough to create your own

also witnessed
>>
>>2779000

I think he means use the knowledge in those books and practice it, like Scott Robertson's book, it doesn't have excersises but you can practice his perspective lessons or apply them to your personal drawings
>>
>>2779017
please tell me how to practice the skillful huntsman
>>
>>2779022

use their design method and apply it, like start with silhouettes and move on the drawings and then to the final render

ctrl paint has a very similar tutorial where he recommends you buy this book and try to design characters and environments using this method
>>
>>2779022
don't. it's a terrible way to design unless you're doing shitty videogame concept art
>>
>>2778937
A key to learning the Loomis method is to learn to draw ellipses. Read How to Draw by Scott Robertson and understand ellipses, then it's going to be a lot easier
>>
>>2778973
>
I like it! Keep going, friend! Its hard to tell which images are coffee and which are tea for the captcha, but I'm not going to let that stop me on my quest for motivation!!
>>
>>2778910
Not to mention there's a veritable misinformation industry going on, especially in fine art, with all those "learn to draw flowers in watercolor" and their shitty step-by-step tutorials.

Even the distinction between direct / comparative measurement schools and constructive drawing schools is so muddy.

Add to that the general ignorance and warped perception of art as a talent and digital media having absolutely destroyed most of the established notions of art learning, and it's one gigantic mess.
>>
>>2779033
what would be a better alternative if you aren't doing shitty videogame concept art
>>
>>2779102

I'm not that guy but what are you designing? Also I think drawing silhouettes is a good way to experiment with design, also doodling, mirroring stuff, combining drawings etc.
>>
>>2778890
>I use Color & Light as a red flag
This desu. It's quite obvious when someone recommends loomis and gurney in one sentence, that they have no fucking clue.
>>
>>2779593
haven't read either, but plan to. so why not color & light?
>>
>>2778776
what else is there besides books and school?
>>
File: 1481475576970.png (673KB, 2000x1519px) Image search: [Google]
1481475576970.png
673KB, 2000x1519px
>>2780468
Practice
>>
>>2779596
It's basically an art book dressed up as a didactic text. A good 70% of it is large pictures to impress normies, and the actual content is extremely generic. It has like 2 or 3 useful paragraphs so IMO it's not worth the money.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.