[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your opinions on practicing on paper if you draw exclusively

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 13301446579.png (3KB, 302x237px) Image search: [Google]
13301446579.png
3KB, 302x237px
What are your opinions on practicing on paper if you draw exclusively on digital for practicability and convenience (like being able to do so at work)?
Is it a wasted effort? Can your mind even transfer what you learned on paper to digital if you don't have something like a cintiq?

>what a dumb question the answer is obvious
No it's not. I've seen many contradictory arguments in favor of both sides from many experienced artists, as well as some middle grounds.
>>
i used to think that it didn't matter, because improvement happens with your brain not the materials you use. until i realized that I'm quite shit at drawing traditionally, while being very good at digital painting. I had amatuer issues like I couldn't scale things the right size and end up making things too big or too small, as well as tunnel vision where i'd start off big and end up tiny and disproportionate. drawing digitally is very convenient because you can resize things, erase easier, go back, flip the image etc. there are so many shortcuts that you can't get with traditional. So imo traditional is more challenging, therefore if you improve there, you'll improve twice as much with digital.
>>
>>2776873
>>what a dumb question the answer is obvious
>No it's not.
yeah it is. it's all muscle memory. if you sit there and grind perfect circles on paper it's the same motion in digital unless you're a pleb who sits there ctrl+z a million times for every stroke.
>>
>>2776879
My biggest problem with digital is that you can't trust it. I've had it from both sides:
I look at a very good drawing in my hand, then when I digitize it, I realize it looks like utter crap or
I print a digital drawing of mine and suddenly it looks 50% better.

I don't know why this happens, or if it's just me.

>>2776882
Not the same movements. If you have a small tablet like most people, your movements are way less wide than on paper, not to mention you're looking forward to the screen while drawing on your right when digital, a completely different position from when drawing traditional.

I see where you're coming from, but that's a very weak and thoughtless argument.
>>
>>2776886
>I look at a very good drawing in my hand, then when I digitize it, I realize it looks like utter crap or
>I print a digital drawing of mine and suddenly it looks 50% better.
no.
stop being retarded.
It's the same and you know it, just practice on any medium you want, you'll improve. Of course you'll have to get used to the tablet, but that takes like a few weeks.
If your tablet work looks shit it means you're shit.
>>
This is as silly as worrying about what pencil you use. Just draw. It's all the same. If you're really so worried, just draw on your tablet. But I promise it doesn't matter.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.