[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should you put signatures on your work no matter how shitty it

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: logo_sigclub[1].png (15KB, 500x158px) Image search: [Google]
logo_sigclub[1].png
15KB, 500x158px
Should you put signatures on your work no matter how shitty it is?

I always felt it was kind of pretentious
>>
>>2774716
As long as it isn't physical and you're not gonna sell your work of art, signatures are pretty pretentious.
>>
>does it hinder the aesthetic of your art?
>do you have to protect your art of copy?
>do you sell them?
>>
File: cartel à côté d'une peinture.jpg (229KB, 1124x1380px) Image search: [Google]
cartel à côté d'une peinture.jpg
229KB, 1124x1380px
>>2774716
nowadays most artists put their name on the plaque anyways.
>>
what about a date?
what about a patreon url?
what about your signature if it's small and unique so others will know it's your art?
>>
>>2774716
people like seeing signatures. as if the million other brushstrokes on a painting aren't enough of a signature. as if a signature isn't the easiest part of forging a painting. but whatever, people want that on artwork they buy.
>>
>>2777464
>as if the million other brushstrokes on a painting aren't enough of a signature
This. Only the plebbest of plebs think you need to put an actual written "signature" on your artwork. It's usually distracting anyway.
>>
>>2774720
why? this is the dumbest thing to me. by putting my name on my work I'm being pretentious? sounds like a meme...
>>
>>2777484
PYW and we'll decide
>>
>>2777486
exactly my point. there is no level that you need to reach in order to put your own name on your own work.
>>
>>2777454
A date isn't a signature.
Not everyone has a patreon
This is a good point though. Many people are so retarded they will overlook a sig thats too small and start going "SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE????" even if you have the authors name in the filename.
>>
>>2777489
>he didn't post his work
>he probably knew I was going to shit on it no matter what
damn

Well really the thing is that a signature detracts from the image itself. You shouldn't be wasting your space on a signature. You don't hear songs where the singer yells out their name in the middle of the song, do you? Even if they whisper it at the end that wouldn't fly.

Sure, some great artists of the past have put signatures in their paintings, but they're all dead now. Coincidence? But more importantly, that excuse just perpetuates the belief that you're a stuck up artist by comparing yourself to the likes of Van Gogh.

But like all things art, it's all about context. If anyone DOES want to post their work who defends using signatures, please go ahead. I'd like to give an opinion on why it does or doesn't work in that context. Who knows, maybe we can help save people from ridicule in the future.
>>
>>2777527
Oh and I promise I won't shit on it
>>
>>2777527
lol I knew it cunning frienderino! I actually used to listen to this but now I don't because I want people to know that I did my work, even my sketches after I'm dead even if nobody cares at all.
>>
>can't come up with a signature I'm content with
>so I just write my name in the plainest letters
>>
>>2777527
Have you ever listened to a rapper? All they do is say their own name during the song
>>
>>2777484
There's no need for a signature. It's like being one of those cancer namefags who don't have a reason to use identification. There's plenty of artists who don't sign shit because they know it's redundant, signatures were only used back then for obvious reasons.
>>
>>2777539
That's the way to do it.

Illegible signatures are useless unless it is fine art. For everything else, people should be able to read your name clearly.
>>
>>2777560
Yeah I was gonna mention that, but I didn't want to start shit about a genre I don't listen to.
>>
>>2777560
Confirmed for never listening to rap/hip-hop
>>
>>2777560
Rap has actually had extensive metadata encoded into the songs themselves since its inception.
>>
>>2774716
I never understood how some people sign even their feeblest skribbles.
You could say they even standy by their most shitty work but yes, i always felt like it was pretentious.

Signatures are for finished pieces. It has to have earned it.
>>
>>2777561
some artists wanted their sketches destroyed Leyedeker, Michelangelo. I don't I want everyone to see how difficult it was to get to wherever I get to..
>>
most of the time i just write my name plainly and in a spot where it can't get cropped out easily, mostly just for people who repost my work
>>
>>2774716
It's good for identification if you ever post it on the internet or someone goes looking at your stuff years from now.
>>
>>2777773
>>2777956
i'd say that's what watermarks are for
>>
>>2778502
Signatures look better than watermarks though
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.