[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question about oil paints... So, the first underpainting needs

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1267.jpg (91KB, 720x704px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1267.jpg
91KB, 720x704px
Question about oil paints...

So, the first underpainting needs to be thin, with turpentine, correct? Do each layer after require this as well?

I've been having trouble by accidentally muddying up all my brushes making painting anything impossible.

Anything I was putting down on the canvas was getting mixed and I could never layer my paints.

Also, my blending brush keeps getting muddy too.

I know it's a noob question but, how should I be cleaning my brush between each color I choose?
>>
>>2774252
None of the layers truly require turpentine, although it helps with toning down the canvas easily and getting rid of the whiteness.

Get more brushes.
Paint specific passages per session.
True layering only on dried layer. No turp.
Some say when there's still some tack is best to paint on. I can't guarantee this. Turp will weaken this layer and thus mix with.
You don't really need a blending brush.
Use more brushes.

We'll need more information to really help, because we don't know your process of painting, such as how you aim to make gradations. Oil painting is very versatile. If you give an artist you like it would be better. There's an oil painting general thread as well.
>>
>>2774311
I used five brushes on my last painting. They were -all- muddy.

Any oil painting demo I've seen on YouTube that doesn't use paint thinner to create an under paint ends up looking like shit.

It's impossible to paint overtop of anything to create layers during one session without creating mud unless you have very thin paint with turpentine it seems.
>>
>>2774311
Do the exact opposite of what this nigger is saying
>>
>>2774323
>>2774325
I'm speaking of the true layered process. Painting wet on wet isn't considered layering in this sense. My advice is not compatible with the alla prima process.

I'd still recommend thinning the base color, obviously. I just mean there's some ways to not use it. Youtube painters don't show all the ways of paintings.

Many alla prima painters do without the use of turpentine.

Blending comes naturally if you aren't complete shit.
>>
>>2774252
Clean your brush with turps it's a fucking solvent. And don't use it as a medium beyond the first layer.
>>
I do underpaintings in acryllic since they dry fast as fuck, maybe give that a whirl. Have multiple brushes, clean them in the solvent, get up and wash your brushes if they get too muddy.
>>
>>2774352
>Blending comes naturally if you aren't complete shit

Care to describe a few different methods?
>>
>>2774443
So once I finish the first layer with the turps, I can't do anymore?

Isn't it good for layers other because it's semi transparent?

Why do you suggest only one? It seems like my brushes won't put white on black without mixing for example, while I've watched others do it.

Am I just being impatient?
>>
>>2774969
Wait for your shit to dry to at least a tacky stage if you're not comfortable mixing on top of wet paint.
As for using turpentine for subsequent layers, you should mix your own mediums with different proportions of solvent and oil. More solvent and less oil for your bottom layers, then gradually more oil and less solvent for the subsequent layers.
>>
>>2774984
This makes sense to me!
Why did the other person say none of this was an option? (Just trying to understand)
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.