[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get better? It's a simple question and it is asked

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 11

File: 1446950246457.png (181KB, 400x400px)
1446950246457.png
181KB, 400x400px
How do I get better? It's a simple question and it is asked every day here but seriously, how do you get better? I do studies and other stuff to improve myself but its still the same shit. I mean, I am getting better but its so slow it doesnt matter, you know what I mean?

There should be a guide for becoming a good artist in 1 year or something like that.
>>
you don't draw enough. Takes so much effort to git gud it's just barely worth it.
>>
File: 1448453073177.png (119KB, 635x493px)
1448453073177.png
119KB, 635x493px
>it's a "beginner cries about how they aren't good a week after they start drawing" episode
>>
>>2773681
>>2773685
I have been drawing for a month now, at least 4 hours per day. All of it was almost irrelevant compared to previous months but I did get better. Still very slow and unreliable.
>inb4 boxes and circles
No, I was doing bargue drawing and drawing from life
>>
>>2773687
It's hard to notice month to month, and you're probably drowning in cortisol, take some drug or eat something that makes you feel good and just relax for a day.
>>
>>2773687
Progress is measured in seasons to years, a month is not enough.
>>
>>2773687
What did you draw from life?
>>
>>2773687
>for a month now, at least 4 hours per day
Is this supposed to men something? I hope you don't think this is significant in some way.
>>
>>2773701
Ease off of OP. A lot of beginners have a huge underestimation of the time and effort you'd need to be at an acceptable level. Around this time is where he falls off or starts to appreciate the grind. The choice is up to him.
>>
>>2773679

It's all about being patient. When you come to terms that it will take at least 10 years of consistent practice will you then come to peace with yourself. If you're 18-26 you have nothing to worry about.
>>
>>2773688
>>2773699
>>2773701
What you are saying is that I wasted 4 hours per day in one month just to get a little better? You think this is good in any way? Maybe I got anti-talent or something but still I'd like to see a streamlined guide on how to get good fast(er).
>>2773700
People, mostly faces.
>>2773710
I am impatient because I cant literally waste 10 years on getting good, I want to make a living from it. I cant stay at my parents house forever.
>>
>>2773715
>I cant stay at my parents house forever.

If that's what you are worrying about just get a "normal" job and work your way up. There are too many literal idiots out there who get promoted to high paying positions all because they applied themselves a little.
>>
>>2773687
>>2773715
Not gonna make it.
>>
>>2773732
shut the fuck up, its literally the same stale thing every fucking thread
>>
>>2773701
How many hours should people be putting in then? I think I've heard 6 is alright and 4 aint too shabby either. Are your perpetuating the 99 hours a day shit? Not even meming, I'm genuinely asking. How much time should poeple be spending a day if they want to go pro? I always just see people get shit on even if they're doing 8 hours a day so I don't even know when it's a troll at this point.
>>
>>2773687
dumb cunt, you won't see shit after a month
>>
>>2773763
>people can go pro after 4 years
>you cant get results after a month

you are fucking retarded and you waste your time with "i am a hobbyist" shit
>>
>>2773758
5-6 of active drawing
>>
>>2773758
2 hours a day. More is nice, but rendering is more time consuming than skill improving.
>>
>>2773765
what does this mean?
>>
>>2773770
there is a popular ongoing theme here that you cant get results unless you draw for decades. Its pure shitposting because you cant work if you cant get good fast. You think people with academic teaching and approach would allow to be barely improved after a fucking month?
>>
>>2773771
Most take 2 years to have passable work, just like everyone else putting in 3 hours of actual drawing a day, 5 days a week. It's the next 2 years that makes a difference and even then few are impressive enough to land a job.
>>
>>2773715
There is no streamlined guide, part of improving is understanding what you personally are bad at, then trying to improve in those areas. There are key areas that everyone can improve in, but nobody can give you a list of books to read because it's not that easy. You have to understand that you've undertaken an unforgiving and long journey, and you have to at least be able to come up with some sort of study plan for yourself, nobody is gonna baby you and tell you exactly what to draw if you get a job as an artist, so why do you think that's the right way to start now.
>>
>>2773777
What if I am bad at everything?
>>
>>2773782
You can start with anything, you got it easy.
>>
>>2773791
kek, being a beginner is the worst feeling ever. You cant do anything on your own, you have to grind same shit over and over again so you can do your stuff years later. Its pure suffering.
>>
Okay since the vast majority of this thread has been unhelpful, I'm gonna chime in.

STEP ONE

You need to post your work. There will always be shitters who have lost control of their lives and just meme "ur nevrr gun mek itt hurrr" in every thread, but with a concrete representation of your current skill state, there will also be people with helpful advice and criticism on where you need to go.

STEP TWO

Think of your long-term goal and why you want to draw. Do you want to do it professionally in an industry? If so, on what scale? Do you want a relatively small following keeping up with you? Do you want to draw for personal enjoyment and milestones? There is inherently nothing wrong with setting the goalpost at any of these destinations, but you need to have a destination in mind period, as that will set the tone for the way you practice.

STEP TWO

Think of your short-term goal and what you want to master. Do you want to get better at drawing eyes? Faces? Landscapes? Certain objects? Focus on a short-term goal and draw your little heart out. What many people forget is that through active learning you also experience passive learning. You learn how to make straighter lines, more deliberate curves, you train your eyes to catch mistakes, you train your hand to follow your mind. All of these things build up no matter what you draw, so think of what you want to get right and get it right.
>>
>>2773796

...cont

STEP THREE

Combine elements. Got that eye right the way you want? Great. Got that face shape right the way you want? Perfect. Put the two together. Not working out? Keep practicing. All art is construction. From the lines to the smaller components to the bigger picture, throw it all together and get that part right. You will always hit walls, and that’s to be expected. Do not be discouraged. If you need a pick-me-up, draw something you’re comfortable with and then head back to drawing the thing you’re struggling with. All drawing is construction and composition and it’s by getting everything down at a steady pace that you learn to get better.

STEP FOUR

Be patient and consistent. I can’t stress this enough. You will have high points and you will have low points. Art mastery is a journey as much as it is a destination, and you need to get the basics down to get other things down. Be proud of your basics as you learn and you’ll find it easier to get along. There is no timetable, everyone learns at their own pace, you can do it, anon.

A lot of people think too big when they just start out and that leads to immediate discouragement. Don’t compare yourself to your favorite artists, instead, find something you can take pride in early and go up from there. Go get started on that eye.
>>
>>2773799
>>2773796

Mind post your work? Your advise sounds good.
>>
>>2773795
I loved being a noob lmao, I just had fun and was much more creative
>>
>>2773816
>haha its all about fun bro
fuck off, I want to get money and live
>>
>>2773796
>>2773799
Learning to count not necessary
>>
>>2773818
Hey, I wanted that too, but I had fun doing it, now i'm just a sad tryhard
>>
>>2773818
There's your mistake. Never look at any hobby like a job until you can do the job. Have realistic career goals that support your hobbies financially, in a business sense, and in time available to pursue it.
>>
File: MyShit.png (446KB, 1870x1064px) Image search: [Google]
MyShit.png
446KB, 1870x1064px
>>2773801

Yes here is my stuff. I started taking drawing more seriously a month ago and there's still a long long long way to go. I'm nowhere near where I want to be, but I'm getting happier with my forward faces. Right now I want to get better at body proportioning so I am doing quick structure studies.

>>2773820

Oh fuck, I'm retarded
>>
File: shig.jpg (1MB, 810x1080px) Image search: [Google]
shig.jpg
1MB, 810x1080px
>>2773850
>>
>>2773830
you have to get a proper discipline to get fit for job tho
>>
File: wa23.jpg (22KB, 480x479px) Image search: [Google]
wa23.jpg
22KB, 480x479px
>>2773850
>>
>>2773851
>>2773856

What do you want, my top-memming famalams. He asked and I posted.
>>
>>2773863
You can't count fammy
>>
>>2773864

Sh-shut up...
>>
File: 5852346450.jpg (45KB, 570x487px) Image search: [Google]
5852346450.jpg
45KB, 570x487px
>>2773795

Welcome to learning any skill ever. Please make your way to the 'I give up because its not easy' door when you're ready.

Thanks.
>>
>>2773868
Its not learning any skill ever. Learning to play computer games is fun.
>>
>>2773871
Not being a child who plays computer games is it's own reward.
>>
File: sadwojak.jpg (63KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
sadwojak.jpg
63KB, 633x758px
>>2773872
>DRAWING IS FUN, REPEAT AFTER ME
>FUN, FUN, F-FUN, FUN, FUN

fuck off with this bullshit
>>
>>2773878
Then why do you do it? It doesn't get any better, especially not when some asshole is milking you of your creative juices 16 hours a day.
>>
>>2773881
It is only fun if you know it. Learning is not fun.
>>
>>2773882
Learning is always fun, at least if you don't have a learning disability. Shit, I keep going back for more degrees for the hell of it at this point.
>>
>>2773885
autism
>>
File: 1480456379564.jpg (146KB, 605x345px) Image search: [Google]
1480456379564.jpg
146KB, 605x345px
>>2773887
>>
>>2773888
its sure as hell fun to be extremely limited in what you can do. Its the best fucking thing in the world, you fucking autist
>>
File: 1441724745977.png (515KB, 333x1044px) Image search: [Google]
1441724745977.png
515KB, 333x1044px
>>2773889
>>
>>2773890
its easy to say that for someone who got past this whole bullshit. People who actually struggle dont say that it is fun in any way.
>>
I watched an interview with Nathan Fowkes, and he said that he spent 6 months doing: figure drawing 8:30a to 12:00pm then painting from 1:00pm to 6:00pm and 7:30pm to 10:00pm every single day. This routine was inspired by someone he knew who did that same schedule for 3 years.

A lot of it is learning the subject matter. But 80% of getting good is through rigorous performance.
>>
>>2773954
And how good is he?
>>
>>2773955
You tell me

http://scottburdick.com/demonstrations.htm
>>
>>2773679
>a guide for becoming a good artist in 1 year

You can put that one right up on the bookshelf next to "How to Have Sex with Taylor Swift within a Week"
>>
>>2773954
The important part of this is the perseverance of maintaining a schedule.

If you truly want to get better, you have to maintain a daily routine and stick to it. Too many guy go play video games or fuck around online, and then go back to drawing later on and think "IM still doing my daily routine". No

Its just like working out, you got to put in the same amount of work every day.

If you cant devote yourself to that level, you should seek a different career than a artist. Once you start getting work, how the fuck are you going to manage deadlines and workloads if you cant even maintain a daily schedule?
>>
>>2773976
They always find a way, anon. You must not think too much about it if you don't realize how much everyone procrastinates and still makes it far.
>>
File: SpineAssignmentImage18.jpg (282KB, 3334x2000px) Image search: [Google]
SpineAssignmentImage18.jpg
282KB, 3334x2000px
>>2773902
>not having fun with limited work
>>
>>2773679
Lear how to learn.
>>
i've been studying greek statues and victorian era art so that can possibly help you
>>
>>2776881
you should spend more time looking at the reference rather than fucking around drawing animu faces, it's totally wrong
>>
File: giphy (1).gif (726KB, 245x187px) Image search: [Google]
giphy (1).gif
726KB, 245x187px
>>2780458
I half agree and disagree with that statement. While it is good to draw from references and real life, I think what anon really needs to learn is fundamentals. Anon looks like he needs to practice drawing simple 3d shapes a bit more before he can start to break down the human form. Sure, if you can break down the human body into simple shapes that's good, but if you can't even draw those simple shapes in perspective correctly very consistently, then it won't help you anyway.
>>
>>2773885
>>2773902

>It's another episode of one retard picking one ridiculous extreme while the other retard picks the opposite extreme

Learning can be fun, it is not always fun. Learning, if you're doing what you should be doing and practicing what you're weak at, can be really fucking frustrating. Satisfying when you improve, yes, but definitely not "always fun".

Perhaps some rare individuals find art to be 100% bliss all the time, but anybody who says "If you're ever not having fun you're not gonna make it" are delusional. Most artists have shit days where art is a total grind, what makes the difference between a mediocre artist and a good artist is that the good artists do practice anyway.
>>
>>2784287
Guess I must be delusional because drawing makes me smile like an idiot. Always.
>>
>>2773739
Not gonna make it
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.