[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am what you'd call "an anime artist". And I

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9

File: tumblr_n6amom0Ujn1qccjyio1_1280.jpg (359KB, 1280x836px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n6amom0Ujn1qccjyio1_1280.jpg
359KB, 1280x836px
I am what you'd call "an anime artist". And I want to quit that.

I quit college because I figured out this is what's best for me, and so far two work places rejected my portfolio because I draw anime. Fair enough, although I have a solid understanding of color and anatomy.

But I figured out I don't want to draw anime forever, I want to evolve further to a more semi realistic style and focus on sci-fi.

My questions are:

I'd like to know if you could please recommend any art books/materials to study cyberpunk themed concept art, or artists who go to such directions. I'd love to widen my knowledge in anything that deals with 'robotics/mecha'.

My second question: I want to start using photoshop instead of Sai. And I see many artists having this sort of 'brushes sets' that are perhaps tweaked? Such as "air brush" and "blending", brush preset I think? I'd like to know if I can download brush settings.
>>
scott robertson has a bunch of books on hard surface stuff and how to draw, as for brushes you can look around here http://digitalbrushes.tumblr.com/
>>
You should read a book called "The Prox Transmissions" and listen to the band "Starset". they help me get into the right mind when I write sci-fi.
>>
>>2772754

who draw the picture you have in the background op
>>
>>2772754
>although I have a solid understanding of color and anatomy.
post your work.
>>
>>2772754
Why has that guy with the headphones pissed himself?
>>
>>2772754
>wanting to be a sci-fi photobasher
>>
File: 077.jpg (109KB, 800x1150px) Image search: [Google]
077.jpg
109KB, 800x1150px
>>2772754
You know you can do anime pinups and sci-fi at the same time right?

Range Murata does it.
>>
File: 12 (2).png (705KB, 540x763px) Image search: [Google]
12 (2).png
705KB, 540x763px
>>2772772
I know the composition is awful and packed, I need to work more on how forms bend light and work on contrast. But I want to believe I can also shift myself to a less anime style. I'm sorry for sounding like I came off as arrogant.
>>
File: 51u1fomD-IL.jpg (44KB, 412x500px) Image search: [Google]
51u1fomD-IL.jpg
44KB, 412x500px
>>2772754
Read this book
>>
>>2772754
>>2772791
this
>>
it's really simple. just start doing photo studies and try to be as realistic/accurate as possible. then do stuff from imagination with what you learned from the studies.

once you download photoshop, you can download brushes from anywhere. there are several good artists at deviantart who share their entire brush pack for free download.
>>
>>2772754
>could please recommend any art books/materials to study cyberpunk themed concept art, or artists who go to such directions. I'd love to widen my knowledge in anything that deals with 'robotics/mecha'.
Limit how much you study other people's art. Instead, read sci-fi books to get your imagination going and read technology news to understand how things work and to get and idea of future technologies.
>>
>>2772784
I like it anon.

Wouldn't be hard to transfer your talents to a more realistic artstyle. Though any good illustrator should be able to jump between multiple styles.
>>
>>2772784
This is not even close to "anime", what the fuck?
>>
>>2772858
That's unfortunately not what people have been telling me. I've become kind of insecure about my drawing style.
>>
Did you apply with fanart in your portfolio? What kind of jobs were they anyway?
>>
>>2772754
Where are you applying? Comic places? Freelance gigs?
>>
>>2772754
>and so far two work places rejected my portfolio because I draw anime.
did they literally say that? post work
>>
>>2772860
I don't think your style is at wrong, you just need to find the right places to work.
>>
>>2772873
read the thread breh he posted work here
>>2772784
>>
File: maxresdefault-4.jpg (191KB, 1920x1080px)
maxresdefault-4.jpg
191KB, 1920x1080px
>>2772858
>>2772860
It looks a lot like My Hero Academia. Anime doesn't just mean gigantic fucking eyes, it can look different than standard.
>>
>>2772858
it's totally anime.
>>
>>2772860
It's too Western inspired to really be called either anime or comic.
It has its purpose, but it's kind of niche.
>>
File: ANIMAY STYLE XDD.jpg (123KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ANIMAY STYLE XDD.jpg
123KB, 1280x720px
>>2772893
What is anime style then? You just gave an example that deviates from the norm, if you call this anime style I can call this anime too.
>>
File: 1462997653645.jpg (280KB, 1200x1720px) Image search: [Google]
1462997653645.jpg
280KB, 1200x1720px
>>2772929
Well every style has deviations, is what I meant. The style I posted is obviously an anime derivative, because it shares the quality you would find in anime style art. Personally I just think it would be tedious to call it a new art style every time an artist takes a common style and places his own flare on it.

How about we just call it all 'anime-esque' or anime inspired and be done with it?
>>
>>2772931
Oh god my dick.
>>
File: 1463000857628.jpg (265KB, 954x1162px)
1463000857628.jpg
265KB, 954x1162px
>>2772935
The artist is Honjou Raita, his girls are massively stylized, but in a very nice way.
>>
>>2772931
> scrawny legs with giant tits

Nope
>>
>>2772864
>>2772871

In my country they don't even need anything too impressive, it's mostly art for start-ups for mobile games that look simply awful in terms of art.

But they automatically assume I can only do 'anime' style although I'm obviously capable of more. That's why I want to change.

>>2772878

None in my country. I do appreciate hearing this though.
>>
>>2772784
you haven't been rejected because you do anime. you have been rejected because you have no clue how perspective works. if you want to make it in the concept art field (especially sci-fi) you have to have top notch perspective, which is the most important fundamental.
grind a few more years and try again. right now your level is simply too amateurish to be marketable.
>>
>>2773076
>I don't know what I'm talking about the post
>>
File: 2222.png (193KB, 472x698px)
2222.png
193KB, 472x698px
>>2773076

I could show you my fellow competitors in the field in my country and you'd be surprised to know that people don't really care about perspective here. They care about cheap, fast work, that has nothing to do with the global standards of concept art. I want to change my style to become something different than "an anime artist', and also to impress future employers and also develop myself as a person.

I know age doesn't matter but I'm 22 and entirely self-taught. I believe I can reach, with a good amount of work, a fair level in sci fi with learning more perspective.

Added a picture of a work of someone that's in our 'industry' with a high paying job. It's not that bad but you can tell that people don't give a shit about incredibly impressive things and settle on the bland and mediocre just to show "they can draw".
>>
>>2773105
Aight, where the fuck are you from?
>>
>>2773214

I'm from Israel.
People here don't need top level things. Just sprites for mobile games, or silly cartoon animations. But they automatically disqualify me because I draw anime.
>>
>>2773215
fucking jews hating on animu
>>
>>2773215
you only got rejected from 2 places according to OP, that's really no reason to completely change what you want to draw, if you wanna work professionally you're going to get a lot of rejections, i wouldn't completely change my style because some idiot ceo of a shitty mobile company told me he hates anime.
what did they tell you specifically?
>>2773071
>none in my country
i really think its safe to assume that you haven't looked everywhere in your country, if you keep applying everywhere you're bound to find someone who likes your stuff, or even just someone who knows someone who could like your stuff
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.