[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been looking at Loomis' books for quite a while

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 11.png (392KB, 470x588px) Image search: [Google]
11.png
392KB, 470x588px
I've been looking at Loomis' books for quite a while now. Why do my face sketches still look weird?
>>
Sorry posted in wrong place. Please do not bump
>>
>>2769089
Probably b/c you're not internalizing the why of it/practicing conscientiously/practicing enough. You're also probably drawing the faces super small which makes it harder to get fine detail in
>>
>>2769089
No spark.
>>
>>2769089
draw more
>>
>>2769089

Because you're still symbol drawing. Try flipping your model picture upside down and drawing it like that.
>>
File: 1481167827163.jpg (42KB, 501x414px) Image search: [Google]
1481167827163.jpg
42KB, 501x414px
>>2770276
i miss this
>>
>>2769089
Need even more Loomis.
>>
>>2769089
learn each part of the face individually like the eyes and nose and mouth and how they relate to eachother and keep practicing
>>
>>2769089
Do you know how ellipses work? This is very important because if you don't understand the relationship between the ellipse's minor axis and its orientation you're bound to drawing wonky faces.

I'm pretty sure Loomis doesn't explain this.

I can't draw right now since I'm in bed and I can't explain it without drawing, but basically ellipses are ALWAYS cut in half through their minor axis.

If you're drawing a head that is perfectly straight, not tilted, the ellipse's minor axis should be a vertical line. The "fatter" you make this ellipse, the more tilted up / down the head is. You can then draw a second ellipse by drawing the horizontal line that is perpendicular to the vertical line (it's ALWAYS perpendicular, even when the head is tilted off the axis of the rest of the drawing) and drawing an ellipse that has that minor axis on that horizontal line.
>>
>>2771413
also by "cut in half" I mean that you should be able to perfectly overlap the two halves of the ellipse. Those two sides are always a perfect mirror of each other, so if you can't do that you're drawing your ellipses wrong

Get the book "How to Draw" by Scott Robertson
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.