[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I fight with procrastination? I have been drawing a lot

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 1446950246457.png (181KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1446950246457.png
181KB, 400x400px
How do I fight with procrastination? I have been drawing a lot for 2 weeks then suddenly I stopped wanting to draw at all. I know the urge of drawing will come some day but I dont want to rely on motivation. Do I have depression? I just wake up and I cant do shit.
>>
>>2768320
not gonna make it
>>
>>2768323
I know but I have to work on myself anyway
>>
Don't want to, or don't feel like it?

If you don't want to draw, then don't. If you don't feel like drawing, then do.

Choose to draw. It is your choice to draw.
>>
>>2768326
more like dont feel like it. I want to learn to draw since im total garbage but its difficult if I cant keep my momentum. 10 days later and I still dont do any studies or anything for that matter.
>>
Tell yourself you will just draw for 5 minutes, which is hardly any time at all. Even if you only draw for 5 minutes (and often you'll draw for much longer than that) its still at least a little practice for that day.
>>
>>2768320
I'll say the problem is not drawing here, if you can't do shit at all then it's another issue. I'll suggest you'll start with something else, go take a shower or a walk or whatever. Then come back.
And just grab the fucking pencil.
>>
You just gotta get started with something. Before you do anything else just grab your sketchbook, or open Sai and start sketching. Don't plan out a big schedule, just immediately get your pen down before you end up doing something lazy. You can decide on a bigger project once you're in the flow of things.

It's a matter of mental momentum. If your brain thinks it's doing a particular thing, it will stay on that track. Unfortunately this momentum can be misdirected towards doing absolutely fucking nothing, and that's the path of least resistance. You just have to slowly try to nudge that momentum back over to drawing.

Once you start make sure nothing pulls your attention away, keep your mind entirely in the art sphere. Every time you feel like drifting off to something else, just push a little more. It's the same mentality I use to keep exercising when I don't feel like it. Think of what you're doing in terms of little tasks, so you can keep doing just a bit more. If you think 'I need to sit down and practice for 8 hours' you're probably not going to do that. If you sit down just to sketch a little, or lay in a painting, etc. and you keep pushing and pushing while you're doing it, you'll actually make it.

If you start doing something, chances are you'll keep going, the problem is starting with procrastination. Make it easy to get started with work and keep distractions out of view before you get started or you'll be pulled away. Don't even look at anything distracting while you're working or you'll be gone. Don't think about art practice in a negative or intimidating way or you'll avoid it.

Go watch people like Jeff Watts talk about how much they practice and how determined they are and get yourself pumped up for some work.
>>
>>2768448
not op, but what is the purpose of sai? would i ever use it if i already have clip studio and sketchbook pro?
>>
>>2768320
I've been through this too, but in art school where I was drawing for 9 hours every day plus homework drawing on the regular. It definitely hit me around the very beginning and about halfway through my fundamentals. Didn't want to draw shit and was just not feeling like it, or was honestly sick of looking at the study I'd been working on meticulously during studio time for over a year.

My advice is just draw anyways. Even if you don't feel like it, do gestures, go outside and draw plants or buildings, draw from imagination sometimes, but just make sure you do something. Don't wait for the urge to draw to come back, because without practice you won't keep your skills up and when you do find that inspiration, you're going to be repeating this scenario over again. 2 weeks of drawing and then you don't feel it, or you go for a month then realize your skills aren't where you think they should be, etc.

Just make a nice little work area, and only do your art work when you're in that zone. It helps, just like like not eating and watching tv or doing homework in bed helps you sleep better. Force yourself to draw every day anyways. It'll pass, maybe it'll come and go, but don't succumb to the urge to just say "fuck it" and stop drawing.
>>
Routine must substitute for motivation.

Being motivated is great, don't listen to idiots who heard once that "relying on motivation is bad" and then cut out the "relying on" and parrot "motivation is bad!". Motivation is good, but it's a supplement to already having a routine where you draw regardless of motivation.

As soon as you get the hang of "I've been drawing at 3pm every day for the last month, 3pm is my drawing time" the idea of "I'll do it later" starts to fall to the wayside. It's only when you lack routine that "maybe later" becomes a prominent factor.

Personally I recommend mornings if you can have the time. Wake up, get some coffee, and draw. It's usually when I feel I have the most patience at least.
>>
Every time I finish drawing for the day, I get anxious of the next day, I think about how I'll have to warm-up again, how I'm probably going to procastrinate, and just how much fucking shit I have to study.

How do I not feel overwhelmed by everything.

I mean, figure drawing, drawing from life, digital painting (just the shading for now), it just scares me, I'm afraid of it. But I have to do it every day.

I feel retarded.
>>
>>2768581
Morning sketch sessions are the fucking best.
>>
>>2768596
Try having a set warm up like gestures but change up what you're doing with it some days. Different art supplies, maybe different concepts like only sketching in shadows in dramatic lighting or focusing your efforts on fabric studies. That way it's always the same thing but you're always learning something new and don't have to stress so much about it.
>>
>>2768541

Just an example, because that's what I use on a regular basis. Most people would say clip studio is better, but I like the feel of Sai more just as a go-to sketching thing. It's got good line tools, and if you know how to paint you can get nice paintings out of it, but it's no photoshop. Very lightweight, tidy interface. It's intended for comic/manga style illustration.

You could definitely go without it but it's a pretty cheap program anyway. Don't know what you like till you try it.
>>
>>2768331

stop relying on your feelings they DONT CONTROL YOU

i don't feel like working out and eating healthy
too bad, i do it anyway

i don't feel like studying a lot of the time. i do it anyway cause it helps me learn and improve

fuck off, come on.
>>
>>2768320

"SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE DO WHAT UNSUCCESFUL PEOPLE DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING" - i forget
>>
>>2768320
>http://jamesclear.com/procrastination

This guide's great. Read it and actually take notes.

He's got a small guide called "Transform your habits" and the other one is called "mastering creativity". Both have really solid knowledge.
>>
>>2769150
How do I stop procrastinating to read it?
>>
>>2769199
Either you procrastinate on your other tasks to read it, or you procrastinate reading it by doing your other tasks
>>
File: spooky cia.jpg (21KB, 189x251px) Image search: [Google]
spooky cia.jpg
21KB, 189x251px
>>2769150
That is interesting but I dont quite understand how to apply it to drawing. What I mean is

>How to Stop Procrastinating Right Now
>Make the Rewards of Taking Action More Immediate
Its difficult if not impossible with drawing if you are learning to draw and are a beginner. Getting enough skill takes a lot, a lot of time and you cant get immediate results.

>Make the Consequences of Procrastination More Immediate

Sure I can make myself bleed or whatever but if I dont feel like learning, I cant learn much. I can start drawing but its going to be pretty useless because I dont feel like it. This is my biggest issue.

>Design Your Future Actions

Done it already, no effect so far.

>Make the Task More Achievable

Probably the best tip but it's still hard for me.

The way I see it:

I can learn to draw only if I am really motivated. That motivation goes off after 2 weeks and I am back again and doing nothing for months. Its very frustrating and painful because I dont learn much with such breaks, especially when I want to be good. Maybe I have some mentall illness, I dont know.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.