[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can /ic/ agree on one thing? Can you name a good artist? Can

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: 1475941452059.jpg (32KB, 500x458px) Image search: [Google]
1475941452059.jpg
32KB, 500x458px
Can /ic/ agree on one thing?

Can you name a good artist? Can all of you agree on an artist that isn't overrated, mediocre, boring, a meme, a hack, or shit? Name one artist.
>>
Craig Mullins.
>>
>>2760159
your entertainment vessel In two words.
>>
I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Bernini. He's inhumanly skilled and his work is very appealing to a broad base of people.

In terms of painters probably someone like Rembrandt is going to be the most universally loved artist. He was a master of both technique and of having emotion in his art (as opposed to someone like Sargent who was 11/10 for technique but many people find his artwork is just superficial).

Anyone living will have their fair share of fans and haters, so you need to delve into art history.
>>
File: view (9).png (4KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
view (9).png
4KB, 493x402px
>>2760157
>Only constructive criticism will be accepted. Rude or offensive comments will result in a ban.
>Don't bring community vendettas onto this board. Singling out individual artists for the purposes of trolling them will not be tolerated. All discussion of artists should pertain directly to their work, and not their personal lives.
>>
>>2760191
To whom are you quoting?
>>
>>2760194
The board rules, and OP.
>>
>>2760157
Sargent seems generally agreed upon.
>>
File: fenghua-zhong-king-war-kids.jpg (192KB, 960x1289px) Image search: [Google]
fenghua-zhong-king-war-kids.jpg
192KB, 960x1289px
>>2760709
That's easy mode. I think we need to find a more contemporary artist maybe not >>2760159 whose work is obviously good but he has always struck me as a bit boring, there's not a lot truly unique about his work.

I vote Feng Zong
>>
>>2760184
He's not an artist anymore... he's dead. No voting for ghosts, this place is spooky enough.
>>
Pre-raphaelite painters are good. Working in difficult media, interesting subject matter, aesthetically pleasing, heavy realistic rendering while having this dream-like quality in their art...

I'm thinking Waterhouse or Burne-Jones.

Also Millais has bonus points for fucking wife of art critic that defended pre-raphealites and then stealing her as his own wife. And Ruskin STILL was for pre-raphaelites after that.
>>
>>2760712

>chinese generic digital artist

Nigger plz. Try again.
>>
>>2760157
Steve Huston is a hunk of man that is good at depicting hunky men.
>>
>>2760157
Current industry artists? Off the top of my head

Syd Mead
Nathan Fowkes
Cory Loftis
Armand Serrano
Shiyoon Kim
Akira Toriyama
>>
>>2760751
>Akira Toriyama

Came here to say this, love that guy.
>>
>>2762480

He suffers from terrible sameface though. At least the one piece guy (Oda) only same faces women.
>>
>>2762488
I'll agree with that, every Toriyama character that isn't an alien looks the same. Something about Oda's style has always bugged me, I don't know what.
>>
Rembrandt
>>
>>2760712
Holy shit that's amazing
>>
He is dead, but I think Bob Ross was fit for the "Good painter" title. Also he cured my depression multiple times.
>>
>>2762516
>Bob Ross
He's a good person but I don't think anyone actually thinks he's a good artist in any sense of the word.
>>
Gustav dore, wayne barlowe
>>
File: yangqi917--moon-wave-valley.jpg (970KB, 3650x1224px) Image search: [Google]
yangqi917--moon-wave-valley.jpg
970KB, 3650x1224px
>>2760718
Not him, but the work Yang Qi and Fengshua have done on this obscure chinese monkey king MMO is more creative and fresh than anything I've ever seen from any western concept artist.
>>
>Moebius
>Kim Jung GI
>Katsuya Terada

Even if not universally liked i'm pretty sure most agree that they're are (were) very good at what they do.
>>
>>2760157
Mathias Verhasselt "current senpai for digital paint"

You Yoshinari "based yoshinari what else to say"

ilya kuvshinov "yeah yeah the sellout but I gotta give to him, that work ethic, dosh and living in tokyo is pretty sweet"

Guweiz "his growth is impressive to me"

There is no overrated, mediocre, boring, meme, hack artist to me.

It's either they do or do not work. And if they appeal to me.
>>
>>2762731
fuck off weeb
>>
>>2760157
the new meme artists :^)
>>
File: 128.jpg (148KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
128.jpg
148KB, 650x650px
Ashley Wood
>>
>>2760157
>can anyone objectify this really subjective thing?

that's how dumb you sound.
>>
>>2760157

Bougereau and Bernini are objectively some of the most skilled artists of all time. If I had to pick a painter, though, it would be a hard choice between Bougereau and Caravaggio.
>>
File: 89789784789.gif (2MB, 500x285px) Image search: [Google]
89789784789.gif
2MB, 500x285px
>>2760157
listen buddy, you can't just walk into /ic/ and prove that we're immensely fragile by calling all of us out on our bullshit at once with a singlular question

you just can't

fuck you man
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.