[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To what extent can an artist make errors/"interpret"

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: este.png (97KB, 1404x860px) Image search: [Google]
este.png
97KB, 1404x860px
So I came across some artist_beware drama on LJ, some furry commissioned a well known artist for something, the artist made some errors, likely because the the description was vague, the commissioner started some drama and threatened a chargeback and shit and further drama ensued
you can see for yourself https://artists-beware.dreamwidth.org/1479301.html

But one furry artist in the comments said that errors and mistakes should be expected because they are artist and that is how they are(check in the op pic for the comment)

To what extent is that true? If you were commission an artist to say draw a blonde girl shooting orcs with an ak47

and the artist drew a girl shooting orcs with an m16, is that the "interpretation of the artist?"
>>
Fucking cancer.
>>
>>2759953
cant even see the images, i hate hotlinks
>>
> To what extent is that true? If you were commission an artist to say draw a blonde girl shooting orcs with an ak47, and the artist drew a girl shooting orcs with an m16, is that the "interpretation of the artist?"

Yes.
>>
>>2759953
Humans make errors. Believe it or not artists are human too.
>>
>>2759953
yes
>>
>>2759985
>>2759984

Okay, so next time Marvel turns a male Caucasian super hero into a black lesbian, don't whine cause thats their artistic interpretation
>>
>>2760006
That is irrelevant to the topic at hand.
>>
>>2760006
That's literally what it is, though.
You may not like it or the fact that it's pandering to tumblr fads, but that is still what it is.

Also, the OP isn't even about the artist "interpreting" the guy's character, the nignog paid for a discount "no fixes" commission and then got mad when the artist wouldn't fix things he didn't like.
You get what you pay for.

That's like buying a used cintiq for $300 with no warranty on craigslist or something and then crying and threatening the seller when it dies a week later.

It's also hard to sympathize when the post is so fucking cancerous with attention whoring beyond even the scope of regular furfaggotry.
>>
>>2759953
>If you refuse to fix it, I will be getting my money back

Seems about right. No business is exempt from this.
>>
>>2760116
He literally agreed for the artist to be exempt from that when he commissioned him.
>>
flip the canvas
>>
>>2760006
so that type of interpretation
>>
When it comes to commissions, your interpretation should fill in the gaps of the instructions, not replace the instructions.

For your example, if someone asked for a blonde girl shooting orcs with an ak47 and you drew a brunette that isn't "your interpretation" that's you fucking up an explicit instruction. It has orcs, it has an AK-47, she's shooting at at the orcs, she's a girl, she's blonde. That isn't code for "draw an M4 if you want" that's an AK-fucking-47. The person commissioned you wanting THESE THINGS, it's not your place to go "but I like brunettes better"

However that instruction (assuming that's the extent of them) gives you leeway on, say, what the girl is wearing, what the orcs look like, how many orcs there are, etc. Those are the gaps in the description that gives you artistic liberties, and if the requester wasn't specific enough and pitches a fit that's him being a fucking cunt.
>>
>>2760243
>When it comes to commissions, your interpretation should fill in the gaps of the instructions, not replace the instructions.
Pretty much. In OP's case the commissioner is right provided he gave the artist accurate reference to work with
>>
>>2759953
This shit was more "comissioner approved the sketch then demanded OOC changes with no negotiable remuneration" and that is an absolute sin of freelance work. That's why we make contracts and expect the clients to read them.

On topic, I personally refuse to draw extremelly detailed scenes if not given reference of all characters, logos, and other named articles. Because I know how autistic comissioners can be, specially with original characters.
>>
>>2759985
>>2759980
no, if an ak47 is specified, and an m16 is drawn, that's blatantly unprofessional.

>>2760127
>>2760017
However in this case it doesn't seem like something so specific, so if this "no changes u get discount" was the agreement than these dudes are on point.

>>2759984
>>2759953
errors aren't what make good art art, choice is. Fuckign casuals.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.