[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to devote myself to art fully and make it a career but

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

File: 1478282443046.gif (9KB, 574x510px) Image search: [Google]
1478282443046.gif
9KB, 574x510px
I want to devote myself to art fully and make it a career but I'm too much of a pussy to try. I'm 25 and have nothing going for me and that drive to get some "real" job is always there. I tried learning web development but it's so fucking boring it's unreal.

My parents aren't pressuring me to leave but man... it feels like being here is just wrong. I don't even know if I'd want to be a studio artist or go freelance.
>>
What experience do you have drawing? How much do you draw already? How good are you? These are things you should be asking yourself not a message board that says every pro artist is either a meme or trash.
>>
>>2759292
dude im 20 and i feel the same way. I plan on just getting a job and doing art on my free time.

my parents want me to get a job now, but im trying to get through a semester with good grades before heading back into the working world

whatever you decide to do, i wish you luck! life sucks and i pray a gentle femdom sugar momma will save us all
>>
>>2759297

I don't have much precisely because I can't make the push to study it.

I could probably devote about 5-7 hours a day on it. Is that enough to become a successful freelance artist if I study the right way?

>>2759305

Just wanna live a low-key life, man. I'm a nerd and wanna draw nerd things, and get paid for it enough to sustain me. I don't care for being rich or famous or any of that bullshit. Just want that comfy, quiet life.
>>
>>2759292
Get an honest job. It'll support you and the parts you hate will give you fire to go home at night and work on your art or whatever else you want to do. beeing NEET and dumping hours into studying is stupid hard- you get drunk off it and drop off on effort.
>>
>>2759336
There are people who've done it, but there are also countless others who've tried and failed. I'd say give yourself a test run first, don't start with 5-7 hours a day because you probably won't be spending that time effectively until you know what you need to learn. If your schedule is that free though I'd start looking around for ateliers to attend or local figure drawing classes.
This link can help you with finding an atelier:
https://www.artrenewal.org/pages/ateliers.php

I wouldn't recommend self teaching because there are a lot of initial hurdles to this, just getting drawing from observation down is probably your first step though.
>>
>>2759349
>the parts you hate will give you fire to go home at night and work on your art
But that's not how it works, anon. You get don't get a fire to go home, you can just quit at any moment.
>>
>>2759292
drop the whole art thing man. it's not gonna happen.

get a good paying job. you can still do art everyday after work, plus you can paint what ever you want.
>>
>>2759379
>it's not gonna happen.
How do you know?
You know the future?
>>
>>2759380
yes. I do. I know the past as well.
>>
>>2759379
you can't make a living off your art man. not even pro's do that, except maybe guys like james gurney.

Besides him the rest make like 20k a year, and that's not gonna get you anywhere.
>>
>>2759385
Where did you hear all of that?
>>
>>2759389
plus you're going to have to build a good fan base, which is becoming more and more over rated and fatigued. With out a fan base you have absolutely no chance of selling much at all.

and to get a fan base you're going to need to make fucking crazy good art that no body has done before with exceptional style and that can take anywhere form 10 years to 40 years of solid painting everyday.

good luck buddy.
>>
>>2759392
Why did you avoid my question?
>>
>>2759389
so go get a good job that pays and gives benefits. work for the city and government. art can still be done everyday on the side. tons of people do it and are really happy with there lives.
>>
>>2759292
>25
too late
get an honest job and do art on the side
>>
>>2759397
What is an honest job?
>>
>>2759399
suckin ' my shlong fer free.
>>
>>2759305
>>2759349
>>2759395

>I plan on just getting a job and doing art on my free time.
literally never gonna make it. you can't work a full time job and expect to be able to put in decent hours into your art after coming home tired. it quickly becomes just another chore on the list of shit you have to do before sleeping and going back to work. it can be done but definitely don't expect any big art gains like, ever.

so then you'll hate yourself cause your art still sucks and you'll hate your job cause it keeps you from your art. you'll be twice as unhappy.
>>
>>2759414
it's not a chore if you're an artist.

>not everybody is an artist
>>
>>2759414
This. Why don't people see this outcome? It would take you an exponential amount of years to improve if you do it on the side. Reminder that you hate yourself and your art. Now extend that period of time.
>>
>>2759417
if you're single and you work 9-5 you could get at least 6 hours in a day maybe 7. that's enough to get good.

it all comes down to, how much do I care about making art.
>>
>>2759414
>that projection
dude relax, not everyone has a crippling procrastination problem like you
>>
>>2759429
That's a great simplification of the whole scenario. If anyone else read this, they would probably be convinced quite easily. If you think about it though, you're asking someone to sacrifice more or less everything and that's not possible.

>single
Not much of a problem aside from that you may still have a family to deal with, so it's not like the situation changes even after you get a job. You still have friends too.

>6 hours in a day maybe 7
That's not a number for doing art, but rather just a time frame of what time you don't spend on work. Anything could happen within those hours that you wouldn't have control over.

>it all comes down to, how much do I care about making art.
Sure it does, but the consequences of this are much harsher than they seem.
>how much do I
I being important here. It's not anyone else, it's just you. You're on a lone journey. No friends, no family, no anything. It shouldn't be I, it should be how much does everyone else care about me making art?

In addition to that, the answer to that question and the result is much more different than they seem. If a person really cared about making art, they would have to throw away everything, relationships, happiness, money, etc. because if they didn't care as much as they could, they wouldn't sacrifice the things that would help propel progression.

So in conclusion, just do art as your main thing instead of living in the same cycle that you did before where art wasn't the main thing.
>>
File: 1476838235145.png (504KB, 838x640px) Image search: [Google]
1476838235145.png
504KB, 838x640px
>>2759292
I'm this guy >>2752165

This week I've realised a few things:

>my focus got much better
>I don't have enough music on deck
>I aways end up impatient and puting too much force on my drawing finger
>drawing gets too painfull and I cannot draw half as much as i'd like
>i gonna get real fkd up if I can't control this
>i really hate using erasers
>i kinda like drawing old peoples faces
>it's really hard to draw feminine women

So I got 7263 pencils pre-sharpened, 37727 anime and 2773738483 musics on deck and I'm going to study for a test next year, so i can get a cushy gobmint job in my country, so I'll buy a fancy tablet and lot's of food. Drawing gets me real hungry, or maybe I just didn't mind much when doing nothing productive with my life.

So there, now with my mediocre results: not now because my phone is not here and i'm not instaling the scanner just for this.

Anyway, I plan on keeping it insane, just with a slight change:

2-(4)- 6 -(4)
()= hous drawing 8 in total, versus 8 doing whatever. It's easier but I HAVE to at least do 8 hour every day, non negotiable.

As I said I'm gonna try my luck with a govermet job, it's pretty competitive but the majority is retarded and I almost passed by being forced to do it last time.

tl;dr: I know your pain, better just get a job for now tho. Also drawing while hearing music is underated, it's like a soft drug to keep you going. Pure silence sucks, so get your shit together, organise yourself and start drawing NOW. Even if you never get famous, if you can draw the cool things you want it will be a good enough reward for your time, but you have to start NOW and DON'T STOP.

tl;dr;dr: baby don't stop
>>
>>2759394

because he's a faggot determined to shill his opinion
>>
>>2759433
>>2759429

Neither of you have ever worked a full-time job and then came home and did 6+ hours of art each day on a regular basis.

Fucking idiots only know how to talk shit on here.
>>
>>2759385
The guy that makes Questionable Content makes hundreds of thousands on patreon a month and he can't draw for shit.
You don't even need to be good to make money from art just provide some niche that people want.
>>
File: 1468617123383.png (18KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1468617123383.png
18KB, 640x640px
>>2759484
>full time job and full time student
I was still able to put in 3hrs of drawing.

Its called time management and it isnt impossible.

>Do it not because it is easy, but because it is hard
>>
>>2759440
You sound like me a few months ago.
It's going great right now, just stick to that schedule.
If you haven't done this for yourself already, do it:
Set a goal for the number of hours you need to work on anything. I expect myself to do 56 hours of work for each week's worth of work I have to cover. That's 8x7 hours. If I work extra hard, I'm done in less than a week. If I work normally, I'm done in about 10 days. That's only for the fundamental practice I have to do.
Every time I finish a week's worth of work, I move on to the next week's assignment. Right now I'm doing this for Hampton's figure drawing course.
It helps a lot to have something of a definitive goal towards which I can mark off my progress everyday. I have it marked on a sticky note on my desktop and it reminds me when I'm falling behind.
You're going to succeed.
>>
>>2759292
>I'm 25
Not gonna make it.
>>
>>2759490
Yeah 1-3 hours into drawing is the maximum if you have a tight schedule. Too bad I waste my time with others things
>>
>>2759414

>get a job 7-15/16
>go to atelier at 17
>draw for hours
>back home to chill

Probrems weren't and actually spending money and time to go to atelier, even mediocre one that mostly prepares students for architecture studies is being miles ahead of what any NEET on /ic/ does.
>>
>>2759572
>/ic/ is bad meme
>>
>>2759576

I can't think of anyone that is good, there was a couple of artists but they very rarely posted, treating /ic/ more as curiosity than anything.

Really right now I can only think of Olly/techmeh that was really a regular d/ic/k and became good.

>inb4 Brian, Illastart and Nosefaggot are good
>>
>>2759560

yeah man once you're 22 you're neuroplasticity is just shit and you can't make it lmao
>>
>>2759560
DUDE NEUROPLASTICITY LMAO
>>
>>2759484
you have no idea.
>>
File: 1462739306022.jpg (103KB, 777x896px) Image search: [Google]
1462739306022.jpg
103KB, 777x896px
Jesus Christ these threads are the absolute worst.
>>
>>2760025

why?
>>
>>2760041

It's not the OP's fault, but all the shitpost replies.
>>
>>2759292
Never gonna make it.
>>
>>2760043

That's true. Most threads on /ic/ seem to start with good intentions and then get turned into memes or just garbage fake arguments.

On the thread theme, I'm trying to work at least 8 hours a day on my fundamental stuff (I am old as fuck and way too far behind). Wake up at 8, shower and eat, work from 9-1, break, and then 2-6. Whatever happens from 6-11-ish is either more fundies or drawing other things.

Problem is I have some ADHD thing going and focusing is difficult... Like, you know, now.

Luckily there's frequent mental breakdowns because my psychology is all kinds of trash.

Whatever. You make it or you don't, right?
>>
>>2760043
shit post? most of them are honest. at least I was speaking form experience.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.