[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it true that the lack of skill in drawing is because people

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: kat.jpg (52KB, 469x479px) Image search: [Google]
kat.jpg
52KB, 469x479px
Is it true that the lack of skill in drawing is because people dont know fundamentals from books? My whole life Ive been just drawing, trying to capture values and shapes and whatever and from what I have gathered - it all doesnt matter if you dont know what are you doing.

Basically if you dont read books, you will never get past basic shit, because even with drawing 10 hours or whatever per day - you wont still get it.

I wasted my life just on drawing. Its a meme. You have to read books, understand rules THEN draw. You dont get better without fucking books.
>>
It's not about reading books. It's about how much time you put it in. People just don't spend a ton of time. You have to get passed the barrier to entry which is about a few hundred of hours. After that, you'll be praised as "gifted". Which you do, you would have been good off enough to improve anyways. Some people just don't have the patience for art really. Patience is key.
>>
>>2757177
Well every of my drawing was crooked as fuck etc. until i started to measure it all with keys to drawing technique. Its now better and I wouldnt get better if not for that book (or that particular technique anyway)

I imagine that everything is going to be shit until I get the right technique from a book. I dont know, I just havent improved on my own.
>>
>>2757175
It's possible to learn to draw without reading anything but you'd basically be reinventing the wheel. There's a reason why throughout art history it didn't start out looking like Renaissance art. Reading how other people have solved certain issues or broken down things to be able to wrap your head around them saves time.
>>
>>2757179
How long did you spend on drawing crooked?
I know I used to do that, but I eventually realized it myself and just started to draw it straight. Of course, I had a proportion problem and KTD was good for that, but I don't even really use it much since I've been looking at art long enough that I can eye things.

What I'm saying is that, you might've fixed it up yourself anyways if you kept drawing from life. Of course, I'm a bit traditional so I guess the modern approach these days is to google or just look up answers.

If there's a lesson to be learned here it's that mistakes are important as they lead towards problem solving.
>>
>>2757184
>What I'm saying is that, you might've fixed it up yourself anyways if you kept drawing from life

Probably but at the same time isnt that discouraging that you have to get through tons and tons of literal garbage just to get the right idea of measuring? Thats my point. Its really depressing to see shitty drawing over and over.
>>
>>2757194
It is and that's why a lot of people give up, but really it's the same for every skill. You will always suck a lot in the beginning. Once you learn to accept that you suck, you can finally see your flaws as well as your growth.

Frankly, I believe nowadays people want to find shortcuts and get better quickly, but really all the information needed for art is and has always been right in front of our eyes. The world around us. It contains all the knowledge that we need to depict what we want in our art. You just have to train your eyes to see what it for what it truly is. Sure other people can tell you, but it'll stick much better if you had done it yourself in the first place.

So, yes, it is depressing but that's because there isn't really a gauge for the low levels, but much more so for the high levels. We look at good art all the time (the world around us) but not bad art (our own representation of the world). The only way to get to good art is through many bad art. After all, how many bad art of other people do you look at? Probably not much.
>>
You don't need the books, but if you choose not to read them (or get instruction somehow) it means you need to figure out the shit on your own. Why? You'd need to be retardedly stubborn to adamantly refuse to instruction of artists who have been doing it for years, many of whom also learned from other artists.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.