[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what age did you realize that you will never git gud at drawing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 1

File: 1472097871925.gif (985KB, 500x477px) Image search: [Google]
1472097871925.gif
985KB, 500x477px
At what age did you realize that you will never git gud at drawing unless you quit your job, and other responsibilities all so you can focus on improving? As a hobbyist you draw for fun, but there is always the desire to make your work look better than just mediocre.
>>
>>2754668

Wow.

Did you just fell for the "going full-NEET mode to make your shit better" meme?

The main problem with this board is that everyone is an undisciplined faggot that wastes 99% of their "Study time" just to learn one thing.

You should instead make deliberate practice sessions that will not last more than 30 minutes.

If you are trying to learn something that needs more than three sessions, you're doing something too complex.
>>
Having no job is worse cause I can't get food which makes me depressed. Also can't afford art stuff.

What the other person said, deliberate 30 minutes or 1hr practice is better than "haha I'm gonna spend 10+ hours drawing" which never happens as a neet. Maybe your first week but it quickly vanishes and you're back to spending 5 hours shitposting.
>>
was 26 when i quit being a jobber
>>
>>2754690
Wew m8.

I hope to live off commissions and finish a digital art and design career when I'm 26. I'm 20 now.
>>
>>2754668
I think I was around 24 when I realized I needed to take it more seriously than I was. I was already dedicated but I wasn't pushing myself as hard as I could've and I knew if I wanted to make a real career out of it I needed to devote more time. It was after I graduated from college so it worked out that I didn't need to directly sacrifice anything major, I only started spending more time on art and trying to be more professional about it. I decreased mainly video games and tv.
>>
>>2754696
heeeeeaps of time
>>
>>2754702
post your work
>>
>>2754668
I've dedicated myself to it a couple of times, but I had weird notions about working from reference or life over developing my own "style", so I just sorta ran around in circles achieving nothing and got fed up despite spending like 12 hours a day painting and drawing.

Reached that Depression Climax where you have a bit of a breakdown, and destroy your work best you can, snap your tablet, burn your sketchbooks and disappear for a couple of days looking to die.

Now I'm 23 and I just kinda fucking suck. It's sad.

Watch the company you keep and make sure your practice is focused, guys.
>>
>>2754777
Why??
>>
>>2754791
almost 23 here

you have roughly 3 years left; don't waste any time.
>>
>>2754791
>12 hours a day
>suck
Post work I'm curious. People on ic keep pushing the 74 hours a day thing meme and just wanna see what comes of it. Or if you don't wanna post work, just your opinion on putting in that much time or what it was like for you.
>>
>>2754828
When you're working solely from imagination, nah painting 12 hours a day will not do much for you.

It was a squandered chance to get good because of that, but once you get into the flow of things 12+ hours was not a chore in the slightest and the sheer amount of work you can get done is exhilarating and motivating.

Until a year or two passes and you've completely stagnated because you thought real artists... figured it all out themselves or something. Don't do that.
>>
>>2754828
Different anon, I got mad gains doing 5 hours of actual practice 5 days a week for a couple months, but skill is on a log scale and those returns diminish like a bitch. You end up much better than you were but still not good enough to peddle dicks on commission. It's like learning a foreign language, you can grind through a year's worth of classes in 3 months, but still can't read a book.
>>
>>2754668
I realised that when i was 16 and i'm not that much older now. However i still haven't started proper studying and all i was ever doing was drawing or doodling some shit for 1 hour or less not regularly. I still hope I have a chance to get good, but as for now I can't get into that studying hard kind of mood, instead i watch some shitty youtube videos that i have watched at least 5 times before and shitpost while complaining how little free time i have now
>>
>>2754689
>can't afford art stuff

Copy paper and pencils.
>>
>>2754687
This.
Some people still fall for this stupid "you have to draw 16h a day" bullshit.
Remember, folks. Quality over quantity.
>>
>>2755095
Still costs money.
>>
>>2754668
I'd rather strive for good enough and be able to monetize my art and what I do but also improve at the same time.
That should be the dream for artists.
>>
>>2755097
>Quality over quantity.
Actually, you'll learn more by just churning out pieces. Good or bad.

1 shitty sketch each day for a month does more for you than 1 perfect sketch over the same time period.
>>
>>2755190
i want to correct this:

>quality quantity over quantity quantity
>>
>>2755194
Nope.

'Finished' beats 'perfect'. Draw one more, worry about how good it is later.
>>
>>2755190
>>2755201
Except you'll never learn anything if you just sketch stuff without thinking about what is wrong or what is right with it.
>>
>>2755102
if you have to worry about buying pencils then you have way bigger problems than just gitting gud
>>
>>2755190
This is objectively false..
You don't improve anything by just aimlessly drawing. This isn't like a video game where just grinding is going to make you better. You need coordinated study aimed at your weaknesses and an overall understand of what you need to work on, then you execute with exercises.
>>
>>2755228
>Except you'll never learn anything if you just sketch stuff without thinking about what is wrong or what is right with it.

Reflection must come *after*, not *during*. The learning is in making the mistake, not in avoiding it. Ideally, you'll make every mistake... once.

>>2755254
>You need coordinated study aimed at your weaknesses and an overall understand of what you need to work on, then you execute with exercises.

And how do you propose to know what those weaknesses are without first exposing them? You expose your weaknesses by making mistakes, by making many pieces. It stands to reason that the more mistakes you make, the better your understanding of your weaknesses, thus the more focused your study can be.

Anons, your perfectionism is not a strength, it is a weakness. Your perfectionism is holding you back.
>>
>>2755097
>>2755194
>>2755228
>>2755254
It's like you anons never read Art & Fear.

https://excellentjourney.net/2015/03/04/art-fear-the-ceramics-class-and-quantity-before-quality/
>>
>>2755281
It's like you can't understand the part on "aimless drawing" or "drawing without thinking" or "drawing funny aliens for the sake of it and fuck actually studying".
Just holding a pencil for 10+ hours will have the same effect on your skills if you sketched without thinking at all for 10+ hours.
>>
>>2755278
>>2755278
>And how do you propose to know what those weaknesses are without first exposing them?
That's the point of doing exercises, mong...
Just simply drawing isn't enough to make it.
>>
>>2755294
It's like I never used those words. It's like you made them up, to have a strawman to argue.

>>2755300
And the same goes for you. Arguing a strawman.

30 flawed sketches will give you greater improvement than trying to produce one perfected piece.

If anons like you have no ability to work both fast and mindful, the problem is you and not the practice.
>>
>>2755360

Not gonna make it
>>
>>2755278

Thats what makes art so hard.

If you're a dabbler or a novice the only thing you can determine is if you like the piece or not.

You cannot tell which decisions made it good and which made it bad, until youve had a master point out the possibility space to you or you have reflected enough upon it on your own - and this takes a lot of time.

Producing countless mindless pieces (and they will be mindless, because you have no idea what makes art good) will lead you to stagnating and either quitting altogether (I dont have what it takes!) or perfecting some things you're already good at and convincing yourself you're good while living in a safe bubble surrounded by people who couldnt even do that.

>>2755281

Good advice for making pots. Terrible advice for making art.
>>
>>2755388
Not gonna make it
>>
>>2755449
spitting those dank memes won't change the fact you are hilariously wrong.
>>
>>2755454
prove me wrong
>>
>>2754668

lol is someone actually stupid enough to quit their job and only do art?

you got to pay for life too...

unless you want to live in mom's basement

i did drop out of uni though, i just keep a job and do art. did some freelance and income was fine. it works. live on my own, life is 10/10 no complaints. will work full freelance one day
>>
>>2755468
post your work
>>
>>2755360
>30 flawed sketches will give you greater improvement than trying to produce one perfected piece.

True.

>>2755190
>Actually, you'll learn more by just churning out pieces.

Kind of true, but still lacks the key to everything.

You can learn how to draw a triangle if you simply go through it like a fucker and draw triangles all day and all night. But some of us (See: >>2754668) simply don't have the time.

There's a more time-and-effort efficient way to learn: A kind of practice that requires your full attention for 30 minutes or less, rather than grinding the same thing for hours.

Drawing is not like working out where you can improve by simply doing the exercises. There's a reason why many of d/ic/ks and artists are shit and/or never improve despite drawing for years and years, because they don't know how to practice.
>>
>>2754806
What does this mean?
I just turned 22
>>
>>2755470
Never gonna make it.
>>
>>2757306
It means he's an idiot, and so are you for buying into whatever shit he's peddling. This is 4Chan. Get out and start drawing instead.
>>
>>2755278
>You expose your weaknesses by making mistakes.
I agree. But if you don't take the time to fix the mistakes you make as you make them you'll never become a great artist. Every beginner I've met with your attitude get to an okay level, because it's a fantastic way to learn basic fundamentals but never proceed beyond that.

You should only do such focused study if you really can't wrap your head around something while working on a piece, and then go right back to it applying what you've learned right away. If you don't apply your super focused study, it won't stick anyways. And people that are looking to hire are looking for 7-10 great paintings in your portfolio to show that you know how to stick with a project. Not 100 mediocre ones with blatant mistakes.
>>
Will a company/studio hire you if you only have a great portfolio but no work experience relating to art?

I'm currently a programmer and I plan on improving my art and building my portfolio for 2 years with my free time then quit.

I don't want to be a freelancer, sounds risky.
>>
>>2757341
>I agree. But if you don't take the time to fix the mistakes you make as you make them you'll never become a great artist.

Not him, but who said you shouldn't fix your mistakes? I think the issue here is that people are assuming that if you do a lot of work, then you arent trying to fix your mistakes and are just mindlessly drawing which wasnt what was stated. Doing a large of work to expose your problems and then working to fix them is not a bad thing.

>Every beginner I've met with your attitude get to an okay level, because it's a fantastic way to learn basic fundamentals but never proceed beyond that.
Baseless, anecdotal evidence.
>>
>>2754835
I've been drawing mostly from imagination for about a year, I want to start grinding and getting good but I don't have a clue what the fuck I should be doing. Drawing fucking squares? Is drawing stuff from life all I really need? I hope so, cause I really don't know what I'm supposed to be learning.
>>
>>2757355
Yeah, watch FZD podcasts, They will tell you everything you need
How's life as a programmer by the way? What kind of work do you do? I'm currently learning it, but I really want to hop to art before I get stuck in what might be a dead end job
>>
>>2755097
>not quality and quantity
Never ever gonna make it.
>>
>>2757942
Not him but it's easy yet tiresome. I had tetris effect of random logic crap when sleeping for two years when I started. You can google most problems.
>>
>>2758134
Do you just learn everything on the job? Does it even matter what you come in with? Like no experience for example. People often make programming seem like a joke.
>>
>>2758147
Everyone learns on the job because there's always new shit to learn, one of the things that makes it tiresome. If you're a beginner you'll just start with a smaller salary than someone with experience.
>>
>>2754687

This.

The faggots who don't have the discipline to improve their art alongside work likely aren't going to have the discipline to do anything but fuck off for 90% of their free time as a NEET.

If you really boil it down then yes, it goes without saying that the person without other responsibilities has the opportunity to improve at a faster rate than the person with them. The reality is the person ditching his responsibilities is 9/10 completely lacking any sort of discipline and is looking for the magic ticket to getting good at art. That kind of thinking isn't going to help.
>>
>>2758176
The assumption here is that they don't have discipline. But if they did, then everything you say is moot.
>>
>>2758179

If the person has discipline than having 8 hours of their day on full time work. Say you work a 9 to 5 that still gives you more than enough time to get proficient in art. A disciplined artist would probably be able to put himself LEAGUES ahead of a majority of artists on 5 or 6 hours of focused practice a day.

I also guarantee you most the faggots on here, NEET or not, who say they draw 8+ hours a day are full of shit and they'll never show their work to back it up.
>>
I havent read anyone elses replies, and this may have sunk to the bottom a lil bit, but...
Drawing, at least for me, a long with writing graffiti on paper and small scale didn't really click until i was in school in art class. Im not saying at all it was the art class or anything i learned in there, it was i kinda wanna say more a long the lines of collaborating with another writer and drawer, did i begin to see how my work could be better. I stopped seeing in borders kinda and boxed shaped ideas, and started seeing no lines at all. Lateral thinking i guess, the actual beginning to thinking outside the box i guess. I remember a lot of my letters in particular were too boxy and generic letter looking until i remember this one drawing my friend did of the word, insane. Using the letter i as a spray can which looked sick as hell and really didnt follow any particular letter form. Well so thats where i guess if i could pinpoint my graffiti writing skills beginning to improvw anyway. But way before then, idk.. Regular,drawinggg... Idk, you just see,things and,draw,them... And i dont mean out in reality see em, but in your head and bring it out onto paper. Now, back in elementary school, i do remember doing this art drawing thing with still life, thats where i first started shading. Jeez lol thats been so long ago, i was probably only 8 or 9 then but ya know... Good influences too from other people in your life too, they have a great effect on your future skills too, especially if you look up to em. Im 26 now, and i hardly draw any more but when i do, im writing graffiti or out stayin low key hittin shit every maybe once or twice a year... Pop up... Ran sack a whole town or part of a town, then drop off for a couple more years.. Just my kinda styles i guess plus keeps me off radar too, not to mention my alias changes.. Got one for underground ish and one for above ground public ish too, and theyre kept apart from one another, only my gf knows of them and their connection
>>
>>2759452
Thank you for your post. It brought back a memory from my childhood when I decided I wanted to get better at art during my last year in elementary. I had completely forgotten. I didn't realize I had made the decision such a long time ago. I feel kind of bad for my kid self now.
>>
>>2754668
22, then I got a job with a very strict schedule and learned discipline. Now I have my job, my freelance art income, exercise, go out with girls/friends on friday nights and play board/card games with my non-chad friends on saturday nights.

Learn to make a schedule and follow it, 20 minutes of dedicated drawing will improve you far more than 8 hours of browsing tumblr and touching yourself while you pretend to be studying.
>>
>>2754806>>2755190
>16 hours of drawing
>Age limits
>Grinding
>Poverty
Add magic tendons and we've got the art excuses bingo!
>>
>>2755360
>30 flawed sketches will give you greater improvement than trying to produce one perfected piece.
Yes but that doesn't mean anything
30 flawed sketches will give you less improvement than 10 pieces were you realized your mistakes and did your best in the next attempt
>>
>>2755229

You can't eat pencil and paper you complete idiot.
>>
>>2759709
Not gonna make it
>>
>>2759709
What the fuck does this mean
He meant if you're so fucking poor you can't afford some papers and a pencil then the last of your worries is getting good at art
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.