[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long does it take you to finish an art book (loomis, bridgman,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: c.png (97KB, 234x275px) Image search: [Google]
c.png
97KB, 234x275px
How long does it take you to finish an art book (loomis, bridgman, hogarth, robertson, etc.). i'm trying to time myself how long it takes to complete 10 pages
>reading and re-reading.
>copying the images
>doing the exercises by myself
>checking work
>going back and focusing on what i did wrong
>re-doing it until i fixed the problem

to see if i can get at least an estimate of average time so i work out a daily schedule. i want to know how long it takes you guys to finish a book, how many pages you can cover per day, how much time spent per x pages, and how you study it.
>>
>>2752046
You finish them when you can perform better than the teacher.
>>
>>2752046
you never finish anything in art, you just put things to the side, when you start seeing dismissed returns, in favor for something else, with the option to come back at what you left, any time you feel like you learned something new and you can improve on it or got another point of view for this particular subject/problem
>>
>>2752046

This is kind of unnecessary. You finish whenever you finish.

You'll be revivisting material anyway. Even when you get a few pages ahead from where you were yesterday, you're going to be able to go back and make the prior attempts slightly better.

Arbitrary.
>>
>>2752046

You finish book when you finish it. It's better to take more time, take exercises that are there and built upon those, create your own, diverge into interesting direction and then go back.

Someone said that if you will make 2 x day from Dodson it will take you 24 days to complete it, but IMO if you would take 2 months for it but applying the exercises to other stuff and reading carefully through difficult stuff for you, that's all for the better.

Hey, you remember that exercises from Robertson/drawabox/Han/whatever perspective book where you rotate box around the VP, effectively making "a sphere" of boxes?

Why nobody tries to make it with arrow shapes? Variation on exercise, more difficult, but rewarding.

Or draw torus with ellipses? That is - "rotate" ellipse in perspective, show consecutive steps. That's natural conclusion from those basic exercises, but nobody tries to follow into such path and exploring more shapes and more complex relationships.
>>
>>2752046
You don't finish reference works, That's like
saying you finished the dictionary.
>>
OP here.
it was a very simple, direct question. How long did it take you to get to the last page of a book the first time you studied it. Idk what's so difficult about that. Do you all leave books hanging and never finish them? to make it even simpler, picture this. Perspective Made Easy is a book you study when you're a beginner in perspective, there are specific exercises to complete in that book. At some point, you're going to get to the final page, did all the exercises, read all the chapters, you've made sure you understood everything that was taught, so you can now move on to something more advanced. It could have taken 2 weeks, 2 months, etc.

this guy was the only one that came close to an answer I was looking for >>2752083
>>
>>2752524
>Answer I was looking for
God you /beg/ losers are worthless. Always just looking for someone to reaffirm you.
>>
>>2752524
>it was a very simple, direct question. How long did it take you to get to the last page of a book the first time you studied it. Idk what's so difficult about that.
If you spent some time on /ic/ you will quickly notice how there is a certain kind of people who will answer questions they have no real knowledge of. They have to be vague or they can be easily called out for their bullshit, this is what you are seeing in most of this thread.
>>
>>2752524

The only difficulty is how you're looking for a literal time table to something potential incalculable. You're looking to time your artistic growth for the shortest possible time. You're being impatient with your outlook of averaging times of completion towards a goal rather than accepting that this is something you cannot control with a time table.

Refer, please, back to >>2752083 whose answer to your question included a vague time table, but also retracted back immediately to the same conclusion everyone else did: You don't actually "finish" a reference book.

The times anon here cites are extended by application of the lessons and information presented. Dobson's lessons are concisely timed out as exercises, but realistically you'd need to apply the exercises he tells you to do in other situations to gain more experience and skill.

So, yes, you asked a very, very simple question that requires an incredible complex answer.

OR. Simply: "Whenever".
>>
>>2752524
I've never actually studied, the way you speak of it, through an entire book. For me, there was never a first time that I got to the last page. A long time ago I would hop around books after maybe finishing a 1/3 or 1/4. Usually at a point where, as others said, there were diminishing returns and I needed a different outlook, so I jumped ship.

However, at some point, I stopped seeing books as courses and more as reference books. So except for books like Robertson's How to Draw/How to Render which are designed more to be courses and reference books, I don't approach them at all like you do. I'll probably never finish a book for the first time for the rest of my life, besides when I eventually take the dive into Robertson's stuff. That is my entire position on the subject and, I say this rather than saying "never" or "whenever."
>>
>>2752046
A year for each
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.