[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how long until I git gud? I've been practicing for 2/3 hours

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: gostosa.png (553KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
gostosa.png
553KB, 500x667px
how long until I git gud? I've been practicing for 2/3 hours daily during the last 4 months and I'm still shit
>>
>>2751127
>2/3 hours daily
>I'm still shit
try 8 hours.
>>
>>2751127
In what way were you practicing?
>>
>>2751130
I don't have that much time available

>>2751133
Keys to Drawing
Draw a Box
Loomis
Life Drawing
>>
>>2751135
IMHO you need at least 8 months more (since you didn't learn anything about composition nor colours and your knowledge about perspective is poor), but just to be sure...
Post your work.
>>
>>2751135
are you getting critique from draw a box? (from reddit or /ic/ etc)

are you applying what you learned from Loomis, figuring out what you're doing wrong, and focusing on fixing whatever that is?

either way you're not gonna see vast improvement in 4 months, especially since 3 hours max isn't much. but keep going even if you don't see results now, in a few more months you can compare your starting point from 4 months ago to then and probably see improvement.
>>
File: doctor strange.jpg (183KB, 1024x1372px) Image search: [Google]
doctor strange.jpg
183KB, 1024x1372px
>>2751142
>>2751142
>are you getting critique from draw a box? (from reddit or /ic/ etc)
yeah I post on /beg/ all the time I'm always trying to have deliberate practice instead of mindlessly doodling

>Post your work.
Pic related
>>
File: 1479762073485.png (302KB, 575x412px) Image search: [Google]
1479762073485.png
302KB, 575x412px
>>2751149
Deliberate practice isn't about avoiding mindless doodling. It's about identifying what issues are affecting your drawings the most and choosing to fix those issues first.

Your drawing really suffers from inaccurate proportions - either repeat exercises from Keys to Drawing (if you were drawing from a photo) or study proportions of a face from Loomis.
>>
>>2751127
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Al7QAS89s

2 hours a day is not enough.

You need a minimum of 5 hours everyday, including weekends for at least two years.

You can easily do 7 hours everyday during the week days and 14 hours a day on weekend. This is assuming you work..
>>
>>2751177
>you can easily do 7 hours everyday
Post your art.
>>
id say in about 6 years
assuming you dont practice less in the future
>>
>>2751177
>This is assuming you work..
What the fuck is your job? Or your days have 40 hours each?
>>
Not this ugly autistic slut again
>>
>>2751177
>14 hours a day on weekend
most people are awake for 16 hours. assuming you don't shower or cook, that leaves only 2 hours to rest your hands and move from a sitting position. even if you can pull it off, your health is going to decline to shit in no time.
>>
>>2751177
You best not be saying that kind of shit without being a fucking professional-tier artist. Post your art you faggot.
>>
>>2751177

What if I work doing projects?
Many things are defined in out-of-work hours and the dedication determine the successful of your project

I work as a programmer, I removed all vidya and social life from my world 3 years ago and I still find myself with 4 hours at max for drawig (I have to wash my dishes cook shit and giggle)
>>
I've been practicing on and off for about 3 years ranging from 0h.-24h. per day for about 2,5 years. Now I'm a raging alcoholic so I don't know if that's hindering my progress but anyways... I think I'm still shit and I'm definitely unemployed. I got work doing this shit but most of it was 3D crap that I know fuck all about. Most guys say you gotta do this for about 2 years, 8h.-12h. per day to become good. Don't worry. You'll be good one day but 2h.-3h. won't cut it. Try 7-12....
>>
File: bet.png (128KB, 935x588px) Image search: [Google]
bet.png
128KB, 935x588px
>>2751177
Im agreeing with you two hours a day isnt enough imo 4 is minimal amount 6 being a good amount and anything past that being huge gains.

People have got to understand what it takes and discipline themselves... that doesnt mean neglecting every other aspect of your life though... You gotta plan it out schedule your life to make it manageable and things like gaming and drinking alcohol are things that have to go. as well as meaningless procrastinating.
>>
>falling for the 32 hours a day meme

2-4 hour quality study is fine, and arguably more beneficial than 12 hours of lollygagging with a pencil in your hand.
>>
I'm a neet and starting a daily regime this way:

>rest hours 1 4 2
>drawing hours 5 4

>Aways with music on the background and downloading something to watch on cooldowns

So 9 hours working, with 7 hours free interchanged. Because social life is for the weak, and I never had one anyway. I'm going to
>post your work then u fegget
in a week, and hopefully every week so you guys can tear me down.

>>2751846

You're probally right, I've been doing 2~3h hours every 3 days or so since a month and progressing slowly. Problem is, I'm 24yo now, I've been lazy for too long.
>>
>>2751177
>get up at 7am
>1h30 travel time for uni at 9am
>get back home 7pm
>tutor for an hour of math and physics twice a week to a neighbour
>eat
>shower
>family social life
>at my desk at 9pm
>might have work to do
>might have shitpost to do
>can draw for 3h at best
7h a day is impossible.
>>
>>2752433
>>1h30 travel time for uni at 9am
you driving or taking transport?
>>
>>2751615

>Now I'm a raging alcoholic

Wasted my entire 20's drinking and let me assure you: Yes it is.

That shit will ruin your health. Drop it and supplant it with serious art devotion.

And if you fuck up art you can just go back to drinking again anyway.
>>
>>2751127
I've been drawing 4-5 hours a day since march and only now am I starting to improve, but it'll probably take another year to get "decent", so yeah, you're either born an artist or forced to train yourself into becoming one.
>>
>>2752726
But then again, ONE was and still is awful at drawing and he made it, it just takes dedication.
>>
>>2752443
I take the train.
>>
>>2752165
Get a part time job, it will force you to be diciplined and think about how you spend your time. I'm working 20 hours a week and spend 50 hours drawing. I'd recommend getting up early and not starting with that 9 hour schedule you posted, that's probably not going to work. Well, you can try and prove me wrong, of course, but I'd start with something more managable and keep it at the first half of the day, like 7am to 4pm so that you have the second half free. (Of course you can also spend the afternoon/ evening drawing, but you don't have to.) This way you'll immediately reward yourself with spare time after practice. Keep your studies interesting and focus on two topics/ books a time so it doesn't get monotonous. Learn something new every day, repeat stuff you learned, re-read chapters and/ or get additional information on the topic if it's not working out. Also work toward your field of interest - aside form the technical aspect you only need to know two things to draw: Measuring proportions and understanding form in space, so you can pretty much start with a fundamental field that supports what you want to draw. (If you tell me I can suggest some instructional artbooks, if you like.)

If this works out, ante up the hours. It's not about the hours, but you should spend a large portion of your day drawing. If you can't motivate to do it and/ or you can't even keep a 6h schedule on a daily basis or are unconcentrated and wasting those hours doing mindless exercises you should probably look for another profession, as harsh as it sounds.

>>2752433
>not using the 3h of travel time
>not cutting down internet/ family for an hour
You could have 7 hours, you just don't want to.
>>
>>2752728
ONE made it because of his storytelling, not his art. Saying it takes dedication is pretty dumb in this case, since his ambitions never where to get good at art. (They might be now, but he probably is too busy with his series to catch up the fundamentals anytime soon.)

Oh, and even if you want to be a visual storyteller: ONE is a one in a million case. You have to get noticed and that's far more easier with appealing artwork, no matter how good your storytelling is. Which is also a skill you have to develop.
>>
>>2751846
This. I've 5 hour drawing sessions at school and boy if it isn't exhausting as fuck, not to mention all the stuff about retaining information and spending some of those hours to analyze and improve your shortcomings and research other artists.

That's why /ic/ fails, drawing animu 6 hours a day every day instead of an actual schedule is turning your brain into mush
>>
>>2752904
Explain to me how you draw while walking (30 minutes out of 1h30)
Also I take bus and train, not the best places to draw.
I need some breaks you know, and family is important.
7h a day is literally impossible if you're not a NEET.
>>
I've been drawing for year now, and have made a Huge amount of improvement. My best advice, draw or paint in the medium you enjoy the most, draw as often as you can whether you are doodling or studying. Next, once a week more if possible set aside 2 or 3 hours for pure study. Fundamentals stuff, I started with anatomy. Take a picture from Google of the human male or female body and just observe where things line up. Try and analyze what you are seeing and why you are seeing it. Next, try to rexplicate. Then, exaggerate. When that gets boring, Switch to a different fundamental. lighting, color theory. At the end of the week, do a piece that tries to incorporate what you have learned. Then, do it again, for the rest of your life.
>>
>>2751149
You're focusing too much on using your pencil as a line drawing tool. Think more in terms of tones and shapes and your work will improve greatly.
>>
It's all about talent if you go about hours learned. If you're untalented just prepare to be way more dedicated and putting way more hours in till you see results.
>>
Pussies...all of you are pussies...
>>
>>2752955
post progress
>>
>>2754052
wtf is talent? is it not just some predisposition toward certain skills/thought process due to nurture and whatever stimulus you've been surrounded by up to that point?
>>
>>2752433
>family social life
u want to improve but u want a social life, ok.
>eat
>shower
make it quick

not saying u can draw for 7h a day but you def. can free up more some time even if its not much its something
>>
What are some good circles to get your progress analyzed and critiqued? You guys seem to hate reddit but /beg/ is slow as fuck and sometimes you don't even get (You)'s.

I'm terrified my hours of practice a day are wasted on doing something wrong.
>>
>>2754284
Talent is everything that makes you learn art better. Intelligence, persistence, creativity, discipline and all that shit.
>>
File: workhard.jpg (200KB, 1344x756px) Image search: [Google]
workhard.jpg
200KB, 1344x756px
>>2754331
>>
>>2754308
12 hour shifts 5 days a week caring for mentally challenging "people"
So exhausted from the residents and staff shouting in my face I collapse on my bed and sleep throughout the weekend

I guess I have to post this blog now I've spent the time typing it out ;_;
>>
>>2752951
The bus and train are the best places to draw.
Sketch the person next to you and get their gestures down quick. I used to do that and it paid off cause it keeps you focused on drawing and art through the day.
>>
> practice 1 hour a week

> already good

you guys must be fucking retarded tbqh
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.