[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey d/ic/ks, after looking at the FZD course outlines( http:

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: exa.jpg (402KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
exa.jpg
402KB, 1000x750px
Hey d/ic/ks, after looking at the FZD course outlines( http://fzdschool.com/fzd-courses/one-year-diploma ), I made a list of books to go through to imitate the FZD syllabus. Please tell me what you guys think:

1. How to Draw, Scott Robertson
1a. Perspective Made Easy, Ernest Norling (Supplement)
2. How to Render, Scott Robertson
3. Drawing the Head and Hands, Loomis
4. Figure Drawing for All its Worth, Loomis
5. Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist, Stephen Rogers Peck
5a. Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life, Hampton, Vilppu
6. Drawing the Clothed Figure, Michael Massen
7. Art of Animal Drawing, Hultgren
8. Creative Illustration, Loomis
>>
Congratulations. You got an idea on how to imitate the FZD atmosphere and environment? If so, let's do this.
>>
>>2750773
Most of that is illustration and not concept design. These places have classes that focus on functioning design and assume the student already has a deep enough understanding on the basics and are really there to help you get to the next level. If anything your list is stuff you should go through before attempting to spend shekels at FZD.
>>
This looks like another iteration of every "get good in a year book list" I see on here while also managing to be in no way similar to the FZD syllabus. Scott Robertson I agree with since the FZD course is mostly built on his work, but you focus too much on figure drawing while having no environments or painting. It's like you took every meme book and made a list of it and threw a reference to FZD because maybe three books match that syllabus.

>Oh yeah, what would you make the book list look like then?
Don't worry about that because by worrying about it you're just missing the point.
>>
>>2750776
Of course not.
>>
File: 1477159171842.jpg (23KB, 682x510px) Image search: [Google]
1477159171842.jpg
23KB, 682x510px
>>2750779
What? Feng said himself in the visual library episode that design is something you deal with yourself and you're basically fucked and going to be behind creatively if you don't think outside the box design-wise. They just teach you the fundamentals.

They take applications based on ideas, not "understanding on the basics." The proof is in the application portfolios.
>>
File: exa2.jpg (506KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
exa2.jpg
506KB, 1000x750px
>>2750780
>>2750776
>>2750779
I know going to an art school is the superior choice, but I am just a hobbyist. I already have a job that I enjoy. I have no interest in restarting careers to be an artist.

I am simply asking for good books to go through in my spare time that would allow me to design characters for my own projects, nothing more.
>>
>>2750787
Draw from life, most people that try crazy schedules or focus too much on books burn out. Life drawing will get you far and then it's just creativity+reference from there.
>>
>>2750785
Bullshit, design skills can be taught. Visual library is a meme; just have a home server full of ref like everybody else (or google) and bash together the photos if needed.

If you already know how to draw an animal ( I could not see why anyone in their right mind would spend upwards 50k to learn to draw a cat) then you want to take that up a notch and draw creatures that don't exist based on knowledge of drawing animal. That's what FZD is; perspective same thing etc.
>>
>>2750795
show your art
>>
>>2750802
besides the point
>>
>>2750773
I'll make you a new list.
1. Skillfull Huntsman http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=DA47FD8A44330A72373DFC1D9BF7D0A4
Reasoning: Without this, you won't get the valuable experience of being in the head of a designer, or understand the design processes.

2. Cross off How to Render. Replace with Gurney's Light and Color. Why? It's less technical and gives you a better general understanding of lighting. Thus, better for a hobbyist. How to Render can be a supplement and/or optional.

(Skip Drawing the Head and Hands. You're going to be designing things, not illustrating. It's okay to use reference as a designer to supplement knowledge. A lot do, such as John Park, for example.)

3. How to Draw by Robertson and Perspective Made Easy stay on your list.

4. One figuredrawing book. Loomis, Bridgman, Hampton, or Vilppu. Pick whichever teacher you like the most. You don't need a book for drawing clothed figure designs.

5. Atlas of Human Anatomy can stay as your artistic anatomy book. Everything from '4' isn't a strict anatomy book, so it's important to keep this one.

6. Art of Animal Drawing can stay, fairly good book.

(Don't need Creative Illustration. You're going to design, not illustrate. Only read it for your personal interest).

Priorities are 1, 3, and 4(supplemented by 5).

DON'T waste your time copying an anatomy book. DON'T just copy the figuredrawing books. They are meant to be understood. Understand the principles, and why things are done how they are, and how things work. There is no value to finishing a book outside of the actual knowledge gained. There are no brownie points awaiting you for finishing your course. Don't try to finish this course because you never will. Apply everything you think will be useful for you in helping you draw designs.
>>
>>2751590
>Thus, better for a hobbyist
If he's desperate to replicate the FZD course, he's probably not just a hobbyist.

Colour and Light is real 101 stuff and some various effects, anyway. Not his best work.
>>
>>2751636
He is a hobbyist. He has a career, one which he enjoys. "I am simply asking for good books to go through in my spare time that would allow me to design characters for my own projects, nothing more."

I think already there is a paradox in trying to replicate the FZD course, considering it's a 1-year study drawing a minimum of 8 hours a day, as a hobbyist. I think we shouldn't be too worried about how pure his replication of the course is.

After sifting through my copies of the two books, I can say there really isn't anything covered in Color and Light, in terms of lighting information, that isn't covered in How to Render. But...

OP, something about 'How to Render' that you should know. A lot of the information isn't accessible unless you are proficient with 'How to Draw.' Stuff like mapping cast shadows, etc. A lot of it will be useful though. Just be aware you'll have to navigate around some of it.

So, I guess get How to Render instead. . .
>>
>>2751679
>Just be aware you'll have to navigate around some of it.
What do you mean by this
>>
>>2751680
Robertson is very draftsmanship heavy and you're never going to use a quarter of the tools he does, so not good for beginners who aren't good at applying advice to their current workflow.
>>
>>2750776
Lets get one anon to larp as feng
requirments: asian accent, sweat shop runner

and we can all come and post about muh 16 hours

We can totally do this guys make our own fzd with this amazing set of books
>>
Sorry for kinda digressing, but: I wish to draw hot anime bitches.

I can currently draw highly mediocre, loomis-needing lineart anime bitches.

Will these books teach me how to draw slightly mediocre but presentable (for d/ic/s) over-rendered anime bitches?
>>
>>2752069
study figure drawing and anatomy, do peter han's dynamic sketching to get a better handle on form and gurney for colour, you wont need all the other stuff.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.